3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

You know what I'd really like... [rant]

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what I'd really like... [rant]

I would love to see someone that makes a stereo install kit for my 2006 that has a matching wood grain covering. I'm not crazy about the odd shape of the new factory stereo, and a big black chunk of plastic around my single DIN won't look that good. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Anybody ever seen anything like this???
Old 11-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Are you looking for something like this?
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...ent+panel&did=
Old 11-06-2006, 08:58 AM

Not exactly. I posted a link for a picture of an 06 dash. (not mine, just found it on the internet) See the half circles around the radio? If/when I remove my factory deck and put in a smaller aftermarket one, there will be a large chunck of black plastic (the install kit) that will fill the area between the woodgrain and the aftermarket stereo. I have never had woodgrain before, but I don't think it will look very good if I do it this way. I am looking for a stereo installation kit that has a matching woodgrain surface. Any ideas?

http://www.pettijohnauto.com/images/6051dash.jpg
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 AM

paint it all that wood grain is tacky looking anyways!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 AM

OK, I think I've got you. There'd be too much black showing with the smaller aftermarket radio. You could use something besides wood grain to fill in the area, but you probably don't want the grey that matches the dash or the white that matches the guages. You could replace the entire piece of wood grain (aftermarket) since finding a couple of small pieces that match would probably be hard (I'm guessing here) if you're not crazy about the woodgrain and want something different.

I checked Ebay and found this: http://stores.ebay.com/DASH-OUTLET but they only list up to 05. Maybe a company like this would have something. They sell a woodgrain kit, but it's alot darker and who knows what it looks like in person. (Disclaimer: Don't know the company, don't work there, never used them, just found them doing an Ebay search)

Another option would be finding a wrecked 06 that had the wood grain and doing some trimming to fill in the gaps, but finding a wrecked 06 would be hard.

Depending on how big the area's going to be after you put the radio's in, would you have room for some laminated pictures? Kids/pets closeup pictures, flames or smoke, DTR logo or that famous pic of Hoss with his mouth open? Just trying to come up with some ideas. :thinking:
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks guys. I have thought about different ways to fill in the wood grain. A wrecked ‘06 would probably work best, but I agree it would be hard to find. I also considered ordering the center section and also door trim pieces out of an ‘06 "sport" model. Instead of wood grain they have polished aluminum looking pieces that I would look a lot better. But, to get that from dodge would be in the neighborhood of $800 dollars for everything. I am not THAT worried about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Goat...
I have not seen this myself, but when you upgrade stereos on the 06 there remains two half round cut outs for the *****, and the new kit just fills them in, but you can still see two half round areas where the ***** were.
Look at the wood covered piece for the dash of a truck that has the high end factory stereo (BOSE?) I believe that those silly looking **** areas are not there. I read that somebody bought a factory piece fairly reasonable, and when he upgraded his stereo he got the fill Kit for the better stereo from DC and now his has straight sides.
There has to be somebody on this board that has the lariat with the Bose and they can tell you if the wood grain piece has those ugly cut outs.
Hope this helps and my information is correct.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Here's a Laramie with the high end system, including the gps. If this was my truck, and I was going to go with an aftermarket system, I think I'd put a microwave in. Look at the space! http://dodge.fusz.com/New-Inventory....oryId=14139070
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Bee
Goat...
I have not seen this myself, but when you upgrade stereos on the 06 there remains two half round cut outs for the *****, and the new kit just fills them in, but you can still see two half round areas where the ***** were.
Look at the wood covered piece for the dash of a truck that has the high end factory stereo (BOSE?) I believe that those silly looking **** areas are not there. I read that somebody bought a factory piece fairly reasonable, and when he upgraded his stereo he got the fill Kit for the better stereo from DC and now his has straight sides.
There has to be somebody on this board that has the lariat with the Bose and they can tell you if the wood grain piece has those ugly cut outs.
Hope this helps and my information is correct.
Mr. Bee, the little black half-circles is what I am trying to avoid. I would like for them to match the rest of the dash. Getting the laramie center peice is a good d@mn idea! never thought of that one. I will have to see how much they cost. thanks for the help!