3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wrecked My Ram!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked My Ram!!

Got into a small accident yesterday.Guy was stopped, due to engine failure, on the street (no shoulder) and I did not see him (road was a slight incline and he was ahead past incline) until about 100'. I was doing 40 and hit hiim at abut 10-15. No injuries, but what a mess. My damage was on right front. Damaged are: fender, headlamp, foglight, bumper, grill, hood. I drove truck home with no problems except for tire scrapping on bent fender.

Anyways, I am in a rental for the next week or two. Body shop owner states it will be as new when I pick up. ALL factory Dodge parts.

Will this damage compromise the integrity of my truck? Body shop owner is a diesel buff and states my damage is not too bad, as he has repaired MUCH worse. He didn't think any engine compartment damage was done.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAN! that Sucks!!!

If it is a good body shop then you will be good as new when their done with it. Just like he said.

got any pics of the damage??

good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 PM

No pics as I do not want to remember her with that damage. I was just disgusted with myself for hitting him.

Body shop owner said it will be virtually impossible to know it had been hit when he gets done. He came recommended by dealer and had some high end vehicles in his shop (MBZ, Porsche). He is local in my town and he said his reputation for quality is what he has to stand by in a town as small s ours.

When I picked up rental car the rental guys/gals stated that he was known for great work. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Body shops these days replace most things instead of using bondo and other fillers. I bet it will turn out fine. Good thing he's using Dodge parts and not "look-a-likes"
Old 11-07-2006, 10:34 PM

it's critical that frame alignment be done on a top notch frame machine back for factory spec's. other wise fit will not back same as before wreck
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 PM

shop owner says he has a frame machine that will put frame closer to perfect than factory. He claims machine was cloase to $100,000
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the damage. If it was me and had a decent body shop doing the work, I might be thinking of changing the hood to something other than factory original , maybe go with an SRT type hood? If you have to buy one headlight anyway now might be the time to go HIDs if you were thinking of doing that in the future too. If you loved your truck just the way it was definitely keep it that way, but it might be an opportunity to change a few things if you wanted to also. I just got mine and already 'have the fever'!

Again, sorry to hear about the accident and I am glad nobody was hurt.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 AM

sorry, glad no one is hurt.

I do agree with FishingFather

Time for SRT 10 hood, Fiberglass Fenders, New Front Bumper..... Ok that is what I would do.

I'm sure it will turn out great.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From the sounds of it you should have no problems with this body shop. Still a god thing to just "stop by" to check the progress. Lets the guy know you really do care about your truck.

Hate to hear about this but I'm sure it will all be just fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 AM

if they can fix this on mine

id say dont sweat it. i was very happy with the way mine came out and it involved replacing the side of the cab and bed. cant tell at all it was hit
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wrecked my Durango a few years back. The hood had to be replaced. It was replaced with a very nice SSSSHAKERRRR hood. I told the body shop where to order it. The hood was about $900 minus the $250 for the factory replacement. I paid the difference. And they didnt charge any extra for painting even though the aircleaner section was not "technically" part of the hood.

As a side note, if you all are familiar with the 5.2/5.9 Magnum engine setups you may find this entertaining. When the body shop installed the Shaker hood, which looked exactly like the ones on the 71 Cuda, they called and told me they were having trouble putting the breather section on. SO i go to the shop after work to see what the problem is. Welllll, the guys were trying the install the aircleaner section of the Shaker with the factory pancake airhat still on the engine! I politlely suggested that they pull the airhat off and try it again.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SolarExpress
I wrecked my Durango a few years back.
That statement brought back memories.. Well, I actually dont remember it happening though my passenger did... (ouch)

Unfortunately, my Durango was lost but now I have this CTD I just love.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SolarExpress
Welllll, the guys were trying the install the aircleaner section of the Shaker with the factory pancake airhat still on the engine! I politlely suggested that they pull the airhat off and try it again.
It's so hard to find good help these days!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

At least you walked away.

Trucks can be fixed or replaced but people cant.

Sorry about your truck
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Muted User

I have some body damage to my truck, as well as the red doors in my sig on the two tone silver/grey body. Thing looks tacky though runs great. I have gone to some local body shops, one recommended to me by my neighbor (whom owns an off-road shop, and races dirt track, he is always getting body work done) was straight honest in telling me that I should go to a junkyard and find myself replacement fenders for he would have to charge me an arm and a leg for them.

I have not had the time to go to a junkyard so my truck is still in poor condition bodywise, though at least if somone sees me they know who I am.

It is my work truck as well as daily driver, so the body work and paint will be nice, considering how scratched and dinged up the bed is.

Quick Reply: Wrecked My Ram!!