3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wrecked the Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is a good place to start for asking around on the internet about the body shop? I wouldnt even know where to begin.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Finding a "good" body shop is like trying finding a good painter or drug dealer....too many damaged brain cells IMO.....
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're being a little paranoid. Yeah it completely sux to have your 06 pickup wrecked, but if damage is really only $8k at full bodyshop rates and NEW OEM PARTS, then the damage isn't that bad. These days of Carfax make it tougher to hide previous accidents, so you may take a hit on resale, but w/ that said, you'll likely take less of a loss on resale years from now when the vehicle is worth less. Plus if you sell private party, years from now, you got a good chance of convincing the buyer that "My truck was damaged in 2007, but has run flawlessly for xx number of years."
Not that it'll make you feel better, but I wrecked my mom's new caprice (89 model, in 1990). Blue book on the car was about $17k. Body shop est was $14k, ended up being close to $16k after it was done. Head on collision, frame was seriously bent in front, 1 out of 4 doors opened and it wouldn't close after openeing. Only thing that didn't need to be repainted was the trunk lid!!
That car drove fine afterwards and looked better than new. Paint was way nicer than factory job. Drove it for 3 more years w/ no issues (other than it couldn't back itself out of the garage when the garage caught fire. That time it was totalled!).
Old 10-29-2007, 03:10 PM

I wrecked mine in Feb of this year, about 13,00 miles ago.. .hit a small tree that hit the passenger front tire head on and ripped the front axle back.

No frame damage, but had to get the entire front end replaced, including new axle and all suspension parts... Also a new oil pan.

Came to a little over $17k in total... It has been fine since the repair. The shop I got lucky enough to select turned out to be awesome..

Bryan
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedCTD
Does anyone know if this effects the title of the vehicle?

And how would anyone know it has been wrecked and repaired if you didnt tell them and they didnt use a service like Carfax?
None (title wise).

Not all places participate in Carfax? Someone would know if they knew what to look for, seam sealer that looks other than OEM, tags/stickers on replacement panels, orange peel.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

wreed

if you do sell it, would you be interested in selling the seats?????

glad your ok too

brett
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I would not worry too much about it until you get it back and see how it turns out. I had a person pull out in front of me and I hit them at about 40mph and did $10k in damage when my truck was 3 days old and had 400 miles on it. I was really ****** and thought it would never work as it should. however, when I got it back it looked great and I have had no problems with it and currently have 30k miles on it. I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. If you sell it you are going to take a big hit since it was just wrecked.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
Was your front axle still ok? My shocks were broken off and the front pumpkin was completely upside down. The
everything seemed fine. it was actually still driveable. the incline of the hill was so steep that from the top and up of the wheel well took the damage (sideswiped). I had a few nicks in the front rim, but the tires just barely rubbed the tree. I had my lab in the back, he stayed in (thank god) and was not injured, nor was I. We were both very fortunate.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by troll3193
I wrecked mine in Feb of this year, about 13,00 miles ago.. .hit a small tree that hit the passenger front tire head on and ripped the front axle back.

No frame damage, but had to get the entire front end replaced, including new axle and all suspension parts... Also a new oil pan.

Came to a little over $17k in total... It has been fine since the repair. The shop I got lucky enough to select turned out to be awesome..

Bryan
I small tree?...lol[ coffee]
Old 10-29-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
I small tree?...lol[ coffee]
Amazing yes... Only about 8-9" in diameter... Acted like a knife and basically sliced the right side off the truck..

If you look at this photo, of the two trees at the edge of the road the one on the right did the brunt of the damage.. at maybe 25mph...

Bryan
Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Drive it a few days and then take it somewhere new for an alignment. If the alignment specs out and it rides good as new to you, you'll probably be okay. Just keep a close eye on tire wear as thats usually a good sign of something amiss with the repair work.

Sorry to hear about that. Totaled a pristine 93 GT a few years ago and I still miss that car.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 PM

Body shops have a bad rap from a few bad seeds (and a lot of irresponsible media outlets.) If they are a good shop, and chances are with them being a direct repair shop they are, they should do a very good job. I believe your best bet is to drive the wheels off of the thing. If you go to trade as soon as it gets outta the shop you will be taken for a ride as almost all dealers are now using carfax, but as time goes on and value of the truck decreases so does the difference in value between virgin and repaired. Remember that hundreds of thousands of vehicles are repaired in the US every year and the vast majority of them are just fine, but you only hear about the ones that don't turn out well. Just a few things to ponder.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 AM
tcr

(In Tomball) Over on 2920, by ROsewood Hills(Cypress-Rosehill and 2920), there is a great body shop. The owners name is Fred, he's a Chevy lover, but that's all I can remember. He has fixed MANY of my wrecks in the past.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
(In Tomball) Over on 2920, by ROsewood Hills(Cypress-Rosehill and 2920), there is a great body shop. The owners name is Fred, he's a Chevy lover, but that's all I can remember. He has fixed MANY of my wrecks in the past.
Is that the hotrod shop on the north side of 2920?

MikeyB
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
tcr

No, I don't think so. He used to be next to a welding shop. If you turn left from Cypress-Rosehill onto 2920, he will be down on the right about 1/2 mile.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the Dodge