3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wrecked the Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked the Dodge

Well I had my first accident this weekend. I'm glad to say I walked away completely unharmed, with only some bruised knuckles. The truck however is a different story... It is going to need a new front suspension, bumper, hood, and quarter panels.

Whats yalls opinion about driving a truck that has been fixed after a wreck? I just keep thinking to myself it will never be the same and I am already looking for a new truck. 6.7l, maybe???

Can the body shop do something to verify the strength/integrity of the frame?

Anything else I should have them do or look out for?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer.
A good body shop should be able to check the frame alignment.

MikeyB
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM

it is at baker jackson on Eldridge and 1960. there body shop is bigger than the dealership and the insurance company said they dont even need to see the vehicle because baker jackson is some kind of certified body shop that they trust there word on the repairs needed.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM

My trucks bed got destroyed on one side in an accident, and I had it fixed.. cost a total of about 5 grand for the fix, but you'd never know it was in an accident by looking at it. Feels like the same truck, if not better.
Scott
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 PM

They just estimated $8000 in damage. We are going ahead with repairs right now. Going to drive it for a little while and see how it handles.

Anything else i should have the body shop check out?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Bummer.
A good body shop should be able to check the frame alignment.

MikeyB
Just talked to my Dad, he is up a Baker Jackson talking to the body shop guys and he said once they get it all apart there is some sort of laser machine that will check the frame alignment.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 PM

One thing to think about now is how is it going to affect your trade in price?

Might be better to see what they would give ya for it then buy it back from the insurance company,fix it, ebay it.

Pav
Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Bummer sorry to hear....Uhhh I did they same thing while up hunting last week. I have no frame damage but my whole PS is destroyed front to back.

Typically with insurance companies they will only total out a vehicle if the total cost of damage exceeds 65% or more of the value of the vehicle. but that is just a guage, everyone is different. you may already know this, but I am in the same boat as you only mine being primarily cosmetic damage. Frame damage is the 1st thing they look for so depending on how severe the damage is to yours will indicate what they will do with your trk.

I kinda hope they total mine out, but my body guy seems to think that they won't due to the value of the trk and the cost for repair. good luck
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM

They body shop guys have only eyeballed it but they said the tow hooks are still perfect and the frame does not show any sign of damage where it would normally buckle. They are starting repairs tomorrow.

I;m just of the opinion that my baby will never be the same, so I might buy me a new truck probably a Chevy (sorry guys) and sell this one. If anyone is interested PM me. I know some guys could care less thats its been in a accident as long as its been repaired by a reputable shop. (which it is) The tow truck driver did the same thing to his 3500 Mega and had it repaired there and i couldnt even tell a difference. He did have them put the SRT10 hood on it!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jezzhuntin
Bummer sorry to hear....Uhhh I did they same thing while up hunting last week. I have no frame damage but my whole PS is destroyed front to back.

Typically with insurance companies they will only total out a vehicle if the total cost of damage exceeds 65% or more of the value of the vehicle. but that is just a guage, everyone is different. you may already know this, but I am in the same boat as you only mine being primarily cosmetic damage. Frame damage is the 1st thing they look for so depending on how severe the damage is to yours will indicate what they will do with your trk.

I kinda hope they total mine out, but my body guy seems to think that they won't due to the value of the trk and the cost for repair. good luck
Was your front axle still ok? My shocks were broken off and the front pumpkin was completely upside down. The
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedCTD
They body shop guys have only eyeballed it but they said the tow hooks are still perfect and the frame does not show any sign of damage where it would normally buckle.
If there was, they WOULD. They get good money for putting a car on the rack.
Sounds as if you are in a reputable place, when they don't even send out an adjuster that is a good sign (it's usually called "Direct Repair").
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM

Does anyone know if this effects the title of the vehicle?

And how would anyone know it has been wrecked and repaired if you didnt tell them and they didnt use a service like Carfax?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Get rid of it with that kinda damage! Each accident is different. With that kinda damage, I think your going to have constant front end problems, alignment, tires, handling, etc... I've been in 3 big accidents! All 3 of the vehicles should have been totalled. The body shops always seem to bid the job low as to get you to sign and estimate so that they can begin work. Then they always find additional work that always seems to drive the repair work above the price on which the vehicle should have been totalled!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Get rid of it with that kinda damage! Each accident is different. With that kinda damage, I think your going to have constant front end problems, alignment, tires, handling, etc... I've been in 3 big accidents! All 3 of the vehicles should have been totalled. The body shops always seem to bid the job low as to get you to sign and estimate so that they can begin work. Then they always find additional work that always seems to drive the repair work above the price on which the vehicle should have been totalled!
I was told the ENTIRE front end is going to be replaced, so I dont know how i would continue to have handling and alignment issues if it is basically brand new parts. The shop and state farm also guarantee the work for the life of the vehicle so it would cost the body shop and insurance company more to not fix it right the first time, dont you think?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
I was told the ENTIRE front end is going to be replaced, so I dont know how i would continue to have handling and alignment issues if it is basically brand new parts. The shop and state farm also guarantee the work for the life of the vehicle so it would cost the body shop and insurance company more to not fix it right the first time, dont you think?
If there replacing the front end I wouldn't be surprised if the frame rails are bent or unsprung (metal fatigue/lost there strength).

Guarantee and fixed right! Let me tell you about that! My last accident I got broad sided by a guy going 55mph! The jeep spent 5 weeks @ the body shop, got it back and looking down the side of the vehicle you could see a crease in the side were they didn't pull enough of the metal out so a new panel could be replaced. It spent another 2 weeks back @ the body shop and this time all they did was fill the panel full of bondo! I was told "Thats as good as going to get!" There's alot more to the story, but you get my point.

I'm not wanting to scare you, just making you aware. Ask around about the body shop and see if there reputitable.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the Dodge