3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Working on my on-board air system....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working on my on-board air system....

Been working on my on-board air system lately and thought I'd throw in a couple of pics. I have the compressor mounted in the engine compartment, air horns behind the bumper corner (passenger side) and a 3-gallon tank mounted to the frame on each side under the front doors. Still have to mount the electric solenoids for the leveling bags. Just made a switch panel for the dash with a compressor switch and two momentary switches for the bags.

Just waiting for the gauge mount for the dash so I can install the air gauges as I have a temp one stuffed in my right cubby hole.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Nice clean install. I really like how you mounted the switches!

One thing though. Is it ok to mount the compressor that close to the engine/header? I know those little compressors usually get really hot by themselves and the added heat of the engine/exhaust could be too much for it.

The first time I installed an OBA setup I put the compressor under the hood (on the wheelwell) and it burnt up the first time I tried to use it for real. After that I started putting them along the frame rails or under the bed somewhere.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

my pacbrake compressor is installed on the intake side, attaches to a few holes in the head and the intake horn. no heat problems so far(2 years) but its not over the exhaust.
i may have to agree with russel, that may get alittle warm. then again, the air filter elbow is in the same place and doesnt get affected.

nice job on the reservoir location too.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Yes, those Thomas compressors do get a little warm when they run for a while. I thought about the whole exhaust thing and for as much as I use the compressor to top off the tanks, I figured I would just do it when the truck was cool or not running. It doesn't take long to build up pressure. I had this compressor under the hood of my HD with no problems. I like having the underhood protection from the elements. Plus, while driving you get some good airflow through there anyway.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

How do you have the tanks plumbed? Are they teed together with a single pressure switch?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM

I have one tank running off of the other. I don't use pressure switches because I have not had very good luck with them over the last 6-7 years.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ABQFirefighter
I have one tank running off of the other. I don't use pressure switches because I have not had very good luck with them over the last 6-7 years.

How do you regulate tank pressure?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

looks good, just don't think that compressor is going to be happy at all living in that hot engine compartment, I mounted my new ones in my tool box in the bed of the truck, pressure switch relays and wiring all nice and dry. I gotta get a new pic for the compressors, the old one mounted on the skid for the tranny died, and did not want to put new ones in the same location fearing moisture had to due with its untimely demise.