3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Is WIX OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have always thought Wix filters were pretty good, but if you look at this TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm it says
numerous reports of Fram failures have surfaced recently, and Wix filters damaged some 1st Gen engines back in the 90's
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad has only run wix on 3 2nd gens totaling up to over 600,000 miles his 04 has 150,000 and my 05 is goin on 20,000 and all we ever had was the wix filters you get at nappy
Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 PM

Wix filters are the only way to go! We run wix filters on everything from Tractors with 855 cummins, and to 3406 cat motrs and even my 5.9L dodge pickup.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wix is FINE! If you look around Wix is generally (Napa Gold) a top rated filter. We use it in all of the farm equip. and the trucks as well. Some people on here are so paranoid you would think they had a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle and not a Cummins. Cummins did not earn it's rep. because it is picky about what goes in it. The people who are the most paranoid are generally the ones "newest to heavy equip." No offence intended.
Joe
Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 AM

Joe,
Sorry man, the people using NAPA Gold's on B series Cummins engines are the ones that are uninformed about the clogged piston cooling nozzle fiasco about 6 or 7 years back.

The Cummins can be brought to its knees by a junk oil filter that fails and ends up clogging vital lubrication passages in the engine.

Heck the Napa/wix doesnt even flow as much volume as a fleetguard....why would anyone in their right mind use one?

I guess no worries if you dont know any better?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P diesel. That issue was addressed many moons ago and I do not no of one engine related faliure as a result of a Wix air/fuel or even oil filter(which I don't use) if you know of one Point me in the right direction. Maybe we have just been lucky for 2+ million miles and countless hours.
Joe
Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Look on ebay they sell filters buy the case at a good price.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 AM

pdiesel, like i said earlier we have about 800,000 miles on cummins motors and had nothing but wix since the first change...i dont know if it matter that theyve only had amsoil in em from the beginning...or maybe some just take car of thier trucks more than others, idk
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM

I think we getting too nit-picky on what filter to use whether it's a wix or the "almighty fleetguard" (which is by the way owned by cummins so it only makes sense that they would want you to buy a their filter from a business standpoint.)

I have used both these filter throughout my ownership of my diesel and neither has any significant advantage.

As a previous member said I hate to think that I bought a 40,000 truck so I can get a headache about which or what type ofilter I have to buy.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No headaches for me. I pick up the phone and order some Fleetguard Stratapore filters from Genos and a few days later they are at my door.

No worries. No 2nd guessing. No problems.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Muted User

funny how I can't remember the last time I changed my oil not to mention check it. Does Genos sell a certain type of bottled air I should be running through my Cummins. (bet it's fleetguard)

Boy oh boy here all this time I've had this "Heavy duty Cummins" sunshine blown up my...... and here I guess it's actually a glass house that if you so much as say the wrong thing around it you might hurt it's fleelings.

Let's see so far if you use the wrong oil filter you'll clog cooling nozzles, must use a special imported synthetic oil made from the skin of a rare frog from Brazil. Can't use factory fuel filter or you'll the hurt injectors, Must replace bad lift pump with an overpriced POS with even more filters or you'll kill the injection pump (same fuel system that's on the Dmax which doesn't even have a lift pump...how funny). Poor fuel milage you need a reflash, truck runs away in reverse you need a reflash (horn honk feature which is classic) "extended crank time" you need a reflash, MUST let egt's cool to 300 or below or your turbo explode and kill you! Wow you guys are right this is one heavy duty bulletproof mean moe-shene!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM

Best place to get Wix is from fleetfilter.com. Cheaper than Geno's if you want Wix.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:09 AM

I guess you can run whatever filter you want.....But don't be surprised that if the truck is still under warranty and you have a problem, they may void the warranty! From what I hear, dealers LIKE to do that Just for piece of mind, I have ran nothing but Fleetgard filters in both of my trucks. Cheap insurance
Old 10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been debating diffrent filtes in my mind when I go down the racks to gets oil change supplies.

The only think I know for a fact about filters is my own experience.

For years I ran Fram filters. After getting this truck about 4 years ago, I continued using Fram. Not too long after my second oil change, I started smeling burning oil on the way home one day. Got home, popped the hood, and found the Fram filter splitting at the seams where the can was attatched to the threaded plate. I've since stopped using Fram.

Most of the auto parts stores around here sell what look like to me the same a Fram with diffrent labels. I'm about ready to start ordering them bulk online, because 1, I'm looking to keep this truck for a long dang time, and it's obvious I won't be able to if the oil filter I put on it splits open whnile going down the road and dumping all the oil out. if I remember right, oil works best when kept inside the engine. 2, I'd really like to keep oil change supplies on hand so I can change it religously THE DAY it comes due.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Wix only in a pinch for oil filters for your Cummins!! Someone dig up the picture.
what picture are you talking about???? Some blown up filter or something??? Let us in on this little secret.

Quick Reply: Is WIX OK?