3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wipers wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers wont shut off

Ok...I am angry My rig is having wiper problems. I had this happen once already and it went away, however it wont stop now. Yesterday in St. Louis was in the 80's, clear sky, not a cloud in site, however my truck felt like wiping the windshield for no reason. It is acting like the intermitant wipe is on the slowest setting. I checked the relay under the hood and it seems to be acting okay, so I just pulled the fuse out for the wiper motor (Since the motor seems to be hidden inside the coweling. Now with 57K miles on the truck I have no warranty left and I am being told that it is the multifunction switch. This makes sence to me but I just want to make sure, if any of you have come across this same problem that that is what it has been. Also, is this a hard fix, I am very mechanically inclined but I have never worked on something like this. Please advise.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this happen twice, both times after I washed the engine compartment but it only lasted about twenty minutes or so driving time. I is probably not the same problem as you have.
Jim O
Old 10-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's operating on intermittent wipe, it could well be the multifunction switch on the steering column. If the wipers were operating continuously and would not shut off, it could be the motor parking contacts on the motor itself. These parking contacts would normally operate off a cam and keep the motor running after you turn off the switch until the wiper blades are in a parked position. At that point, the cam breaks the contacts and turns the motor off until the wiper switch (the multifunction switch) is turned on again.

Rusty