3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Window Tint laws suck !

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why not use photo technology like used on eyeglasses??

You would think someone could develop a tint film that is dark in sunlight, and clear at night.

That would eliminate the "cops can't see in at night" theory...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 AM

The few times in years past I got pulled over I can remember a cop standing near the rear of my vehicle and had his hand on his gun and he ordered me out now! Then he became more at ease after etc.But he most definitely was cautious.I just know if I was in their shoes I would not want to approach vehicles with dark tint.To many shootings out there.But if some of YOU were doing that job you'd be hollering the loudest once you had a few pucker factors happen over not being able to see through dark tint.Its a no brainier to me why its a law and needs enforcement.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
If you were a cop you would not think they are silly.Its can be a matter of life and death.Nothing silly about that to me.
If the back windows can be painted black, I don't see why the side windows need to be so light. If it's a safety issue, the back windows need to be light enough where your lights can light up the inside of the car at night, common sense.

When I get pulled over at night, I roll down my window and put my hands on the door, or steering wheel and the top, good way to get a warning instead of a ticket. In a small town, you will get pulled over, a lot, I've had 4 seat belt tickets.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand the cops point of view. My wife and I were harassed by a car with limo tint one night. He would follow us, cut us off on the sidewalk, and all the time I couldn't see if he was armed or if was just dumb kids. I finally had to have us take a defensive position while I trained a HI Power on him....he finally got the message.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Officers will use the mirrors to see in the vehicle. That's why they don't like dark tint on the front windows. I have in the past on some vehicles tinted the front a little darker but I always knew if I got caught I would have to pull it and replace it will the legal tint and pay the fine. Seems these days nobody wants to take responsiblity for their actions.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM

As to matter of factly "ordering" the occupants out of the vehicle, it is a safety issue also. YOUR safety. How many videos have you seen where a cop pulls over a car and someone driving by sideswipes the patrol car or both cars? This is why the patrol car is parked about 3 feet further into the road than the car that is pulled over and the front wheels are turned to a position they know will help protect the officer and those in the other car.

While some of you complain about bad cops and so on, they are much in the minority. We have a lot more crooks in government than in police uniform. The officer puts his life on the line every time they put the uniform on, while doing their best to keep you safe, I think it is Oly Volk who said something about a "few hard men keeping you safe at night." These traffic issues are minor, I think annabelle gives a great example. Take countries where the police force is totally corrupt or virtually non-existant and talk to the people there about bad cops or bad laws.

Bottom line is, if you don't want "harrassed" find out what the law is before tinting and comply with it. I want to tint my front windows but truthfully I don't know what the law is so I haven't done it. I travel through several states each summer and technically I have to abide by the tint law of each state I travel through.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by CD in NM
It's about needing revenue, budgets are being slashed due to lack of revenue, so they need to get revenue up to keep operating. I bet we will all feel like the gestapo has arrived and is alive and well in a few short months.CD
Wow!!!! What a horrible statement. Laws are not in effect to generate revenue, they are there to protect the public and the Officer. There are Officers who have DIED as a result of approaching a vehicle and being unable to detect a threat until it was to late. You have to take a test to get a license, you know the law, if you violate it you should be cited. Some departments offer "ride alongs", I suggest you ride along with an officer to see it through their eyes before you judge.

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
Why (cop) walk up on any car? Make them get out in plain sight where you can see them. The tint law is just another money racket.
What if you are an Officer by yourself, and there are multiple suspects in the vehicle, say 7, do you want them all out of the vehicle around you?

Originally Posted by 03RAM2500
How many thugs do you see riding around in these trucks with tinted windows? Pull over the little ricers and the cadilacs with tinted windows.
Im not sure if I understand, are you saying you can tell a thug just by what he drives or that thugs dont drive what you do?

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2
As to matter of factly "ordering" the occupants out of the vehicle, it is a safety issue also. YOUR safety. How many videos have you seen where a cop pulls over a car and someone driving by sideswipes the patrol car or both cars? This is why the patrol car is parked about 3 feet further into the road than the car that is pulled over and the front wheels are turned to a position they know will help protect the officer and those in the other car.

While some of you complain about bad cops and so on, they are much in the minority. We have a lot more crooks in government than in police uniform. The officer puts his life on the line every time they put the uniform on, while doing their best to keep you safe, I think it is Oly Volk who said something about a "few hard men keeping you safe at night." These traffic issues are minor, I think annabelle gives a great example. Take countries where the police force is totally corrupt or virtually non-existant and talk to the people there about bad cops or bad laws.

Bottom line is, if you don't want "harrassed" find out what the law is before tinting and comply with it.
Well said.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by saddiesel
Wow!!!! What a horrible statement. Laws are not in effect to generate revenue, they are there to protect the public and the Officer. There are Officers who have DIED as a result of approaching a vehicle and being unable to detect a threat until it was to late. You have to take a test to get a license, you know the law, if you violate it you should be cited. Some departments offer "ride alongs", I suggest you ride along with an officer to see it through their eyes before you judge.
Laws are in effect to generate revenue, protect the public and protect the officer.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Legal here is 35% front, whatever you want on the rest. I usually run 20% on the front, 5% on the rest. The only time I had an issue with the tint was on my 2001 F-150. It had 20% front, 5% rear, 50% on the entire windshield.

Part of the end result when you get pulled over is how you react to the officer, and your attitude. When I get pulled over I immediately roll down both front windows and turn on the dome light. This gives the officer good visibility of the situation they are approaching. I remove the keys from the ignition and place them on the dashboard in front of the steering wheel, along with my wallet. I also put my hands on the top of the steering wheel with my fingers extended. If I have a passenger I tell them to put their hands on their knees. When the officer asks for my ID I hand them my ID and CCW permit. Most officers I've encountered are courteous and will mirror your attitude towards them. Yes, there are a few a-holes out there, but most cops are people like you and I.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 AM

i wonder if you put all your windows down before the cop walks up they would be a little more at ease i know in the summer when i got a ticket i put the driver and passenger side down and he did not even ask.

i have friends that were told to take it off and come to the station and the ticket would be not be issued (then put it back on ha ha)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rbox
Laws are in effect to generate revenue, protect the public and protect the officer.
Laws are in effect to protect the public and the Officer. The revenue generated from the citation is to make taxes on us, less severe. Monies from citations do not go directly into the Police Depts fund, they go to the city, the court, public safety and education.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by saddiesel
Laws are in effect to protect the public and the Officer. The revenue generated from the citation is to make taxes on us, less severe. Monies from citations do not go directly into the Police Depts fund, they go to the city, the court, public safety and education.
Some towns they do. Sometimes the police dept fund and the city fund is one in the same.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Every thing is getting tougher and tighter.The property tax letters being sent now are threatening.If not paid by such and fines,liens etc will be enforced! Just had that discussion with my older brother in Atlanta a couple hours ago.Every one is gasping for money.I've been trying to buy foreclosures.Its a nasty,rude,curt and deceitful real estate market out there right now.I was shocked at the attitudes.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Every thing is getting tougher and tighter.The property tax letters being sent now are threatening.If not paid by such and fines,liens etc will be enforced! Just had that discussion with my older brother in Atlanta a couple hours ago.Every one is gasping for money.I've been trying to buy foreclosures.Its a nasty,rude,curt and deceitful real estate market out there right now.I was shocked at the attitudes.
I noticed that as well. They know many people are having financial hardships right now so a lot of times they are competing for your money. The company who scares you the most gets paid first!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Look, I'm obviously just disgruntled so I'm going to get out of this discussion about the police and tint laws now. I have just had too many run in's with bad cops and just a couple weeks ago my brother was hit head-on by a state trooper who was going into work at the dept for desk work that morning, was speeding, had dark tinted windows, and was using his laptop computer. So I may be a little biased right now.

Quick Reply: Window Tint laws suck !