3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wind Noise - Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Wind Noise - Driver's Side

My enjoyment level just went up dramatically. I brought my truck into Huffines Dodge for its last "in-warranty" visit and they were able to eliminate the annoying wind noise that I had been experiencing since the truck was new. It was their third attempt and I had given up on a fix, but they have someone there who was familiar with the problem and fixed it. I guess it's not "nature of the beast."

If any of you are experiencing the same problem, and are in the Dallas area, you might want to contact Rafael Nolasco at Huffines Dodge. He got the problem corrected.

Yahooo!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 AM

That's a long drive for me.

Can you give us some details on the fix please?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:09 PM

When I lived in Dallas, I went to Huffines - their shop forman is very helpful and workmanship is good. Unfortunately I'm now in Calgary - found a dealer that was able to replace the door seals with the newer design. My '03 is an early build and apparently the newer designed seals fit right in. The old seals were being compressed and wore out near the door pillar area contributing to the noise. They also adjusted the doors...quite a bit better now.

I still get some wind noise in a strong cross-wind at highway speed, so my next experiment is to remove the cap and see if the gap between the cap and the cab is causing the noise (like blowing across the top of a near empty beer bottle). I've also had the dealer mention that the cab air exhaust vents will cause a howling (wind noise) under the right conditions. Not sure what can be done about that yet.

Any insights to fixing this once and for all would be appreciated !
Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 AM

I don't know exactly what Huffines did, but it involved removing the door panel (I'm assuming the inside door panel) and installing foam. The wind noise was supposedly associated with the mirrors. I have the tow mirrors and they were causing the problem.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM

So was this "improved" door seal for just the 03's or does it fix the 03's, 04's and 04.5's?? I have an 04.5 and I have wind noise at the drivers side A-Piller. I can put my fingers on the window seal, adjacent to where the grab handle is and pull the door inwards (maybe moving the door a mm or two), which makes the noise stop so it seems like a slightly thicker seal would would fix this. I think Dodge needs to invest in a new wind tunnel because my '95 did it, my '99 did it, and now my new one does too!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:55 PM

I had the wind noise and my dealer just adjusted the latch to get the door to shut a hair tighter. Everything still lines up great (well it did, until they f'd it up today), and the wind noise is gone.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by RockMonkey
until they f'd it up today...
This is why I hate taking my vehicles in for anything... I think I'll fix it myself.

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Steve034x4
I still get some wind noise in a strong cross-wind at highway speed,
I have the same problem -- Usually about 75mph or so into a bit of a crosswind. If I'm going 80 - 85, you can actually see light between the door and the seal as the door and seal seem to seperate a bit. I too can pull in on the door and the air stops coming in. The upsetting thing is when it is raining. It just runs right in.

While driving through NM heading home a couple months ago, I had to slow down to 60mph on the interstate to keep the cab dry. I brought this to the dealer's attention and they are going to look at it for me.

They're also going to be replacing the two cab lights that have condensation in them.

Wish me luck!!

~ David
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM

They'll be able to adjust the latch and get rid of that wind noise no problem. By the way, since I mentioned it in this thread, I'll follow up. The dealer that damaged my door replaced the entire door and handle, and did an excellent job. My wind noise did not come back with the new door, either.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:07 AM

They're also going to be replacing the two cab lights that have condensation in them.

Wish me luck!!

~ David

Unless they are cracked you will be wasting your time having them replaced. I replaced four of them myself due to condensation in them. Only one was cracked and the others over time started to leak again. A very easy way to tell is to remove the lense, turn it upside down and fill with water. If you see no drips the lense is ok. Drain the water, dry it out with a hairdryer and reinstall using a very light film of silicon on the seal. This has worked great for me.