3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wind Noise/Drivers Door/Taillight ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Noise/Drivers Door/Taillight ?

I have an 03 CTD that I have been pretty happy with. It's my first diesel. The one thing I find maddening about the truck is during high wind WAY TOO MUCH wind penetrates the cab at the drivers door.

The weatherstrip all appears to be in good shape and the door appears to be aligned properly.

I found that I can squeeze the door at the window frame portion, at the top where it starts the downward descent toward the mirror, together with the corresponding area of the cab and stop the infiltration of wind and noise.

Anybody have similar problem and if so, any advice? I can handle some wind noise but this is unacceptable.

Also, I have a rear brake light that has gone out twice in less than 2 months. I replaced with Wagner Bulbs. This time when I replaced it I examined it a bit more and find that the bulb does not fit very tightly in the socket. I believe this is causing the problem in that it allows too much play and either shorts the bulb out or lessens the life of the bulb. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

TXPOWER
Old 03-03-2005, 11:07 AM

You can change the weather stripping to the new style 04-05 and you will have the notorious door rubbing that all the 04-up trucks have, but you will eliminate the wind noise. My dad's early 04 hemi does the same thing you are speaking of, but the weather stripping is totally different than my 04.5 CTD...
Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM

Yea I have a 04.5 and it does the same thing, kinda pulsates as you go down the road when the wind kicks up, has become annoying to say the least.

If you put your fingers up on the inside of the window as your going down the road and slightly pull in on the window seal it goes away so its not much.

I work at the Warren Truck plant and have noticed on the final line they will try to tweak the door a bit to fix alignment issues up top if its too far out of wack by eye, like in the area you get the wind blowing by. Have even seen them tap it down with a rawhid mallet. (not hard though)

Even though I do work there and know some of the tricks I will take it to my dealer and have them fix it so I dont screw something up and get stuck with the bill. Oil change is due so looks like a good chance to get it fixed.