3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Winch only mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FirstDodge,
That setup is exactly what I'm looking. Light in weight, removable and transferable to the rear. Have you pulled anything heavy with it yet. Bodiak says 8000lbs on the mount, is that going to be enough for straight winching on our trucks? Mainly want a winch for snowy and icy conditions during elk season (Montana). Don't plan on mud bogging have an ATV for that. I really like that carrier because of the handles, will it accept other manufactuer's winches? I saw that Bodiak made one but no handles. The handles would sure make it easier to carry to the rear.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM

I haven't used it yet on this truck. The Bodiak is bolted to the tow hooks, so that is pretty strong. I can't imagine snow/ice and "regular" mud situations being an issue . . . .it is pretty solid. If I was REALLY stuck in something nasty, I have other options . . . another front hitch that is bolted to the frame and will hold 9K, and the rear hitch that will hold 10K. The reality is that the truck only weighs less than 7K and that is "hanging weight", not rolling resistance. In theory, off of the Bodiak, it could lift the truck straight up in the air if connected to a bridge, etc. If I'm in a situation where my truck needs to be pulled vertically, then I have bigger problems than the strength/size of my winch

The handles are nice on the multi-mount. Warn sells them. I think JC Whitney also sells a version of them . . . not sure. You could look at the dementions of the holes on a 9000lb Warn winch (web site) and see if it is the same as yours.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 PM

FirstDodge
Your light bar is awsome. Tell me more about it. Did you fab the whole thing yourself? It would be great if I could find a bar and then just fab the mounts. Any pointers would be great.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 PM

I think if you tow heavy in hot weather that bodiak hitch might block to much airflow?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by tactrat
FirstDodge
Your light bar is awsome. Tell me more about it. Did you fab the whole thing yourself? It would be great if I could find a bar and then just fab the mounts. Any pointers would be great.
The Light bar is from Randy Ellis
http://www.randyellisdesign.com/DODG...0BAR/index.htm
I just cut the mounting brackets off and welded it to my Bodiak hitch because their isn't room for both to mount as designed. I went to my dealer and bought some spray paint and clear coat and . . . job done

Originally Posted by socal 610
I think if you tow heavy in hot weather that bodiak hitch might block to much airflow?
I called Bodiak and other accessory dealers about air flow . . . the truth is that newer vehicles . . . expecially these trucks with so many radiators, condensors, intercoolers, etc. . . . don't rely on "pushed" air to cool them . . they rely on "pulled" air via the fan. There is still a LOT of surface area for that fan to pull air through the various units. If you live in Arizona and pull close to max loads, then that extra 5% air flow might make a difference. There are other threads on here about accessories and air flow . . .doesn't seem to be that big of an issue.