3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a 3rd gen CTD?
I wanted the newest CTD I could get!
4.79%
I love the Body style!
3.42%
Common-rails Rule!
2.74%
Finally earned my way to a new truck!
4.79%
Dodge had a better deal than Ferd or Cheby!
8.90%
They say it tows a lot!
2.05%
My wife/husband liked them!
0%
Tired of 1st or 2nd gens!
1.37%
Always wanted a Cummins, this is my 1st!
32.88%
I have the 1st two styles needed a 3rd!
3.42%
The dealer suggested it!
0%
Liked the ride and cab space, engine was secondary!
2.74%
I wanted to bomb a common rail! (twins?!)
1.37%
Tired of my Duramax or Powerstroke problems!
4.11%
I wanted a Mega Cab!
4.11%
DODGE forever! (3rd gen is a happy accident)
1.37%
I'm rich, why not!
0.68%
I needed a new truck, this is the one I ended up with!
5.48%
I had a choice?? what the heck is a 1st gen??
0%
OTHER or combo, please explain
15.75%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Why did you buy 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to New Orleans and East Texas to help with debris removal and demolition after the hurricanes. Knew I needed at least a 3/4 ton. I test drove the Powerstroke and Chevy but after testing the DRW3500 4x4 with 6 spd, I knew that was the one for me. Basically I needed something that would pull its weight in gold, not have to worry about it breaking down and went where ever I needed to go. I lost my *** in New Orleans but I had one hell of a truck.

Now I have traded the 05 3500 off for an 07 3/4 ton 4x4 and keep telling my wife and friends that I will never go back to gas. Pulled my bros 24' boat and got 1 mpg better with the boat than he does with out the boat. I almost had him sold on a CTD as well.

Some day he will learn.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:20 AM

I was looking for a 2nd gen, but I couldnt find one that was in decent condition in the style I wanted (ext. cab, 4wd) in my area. I finally got frustrated and started looking at new trucks. I was walking around the lot and spotted a used low mileage 2005 that I ended up getting. Now I'm in debt up to my ears.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 AM

Wanted a chevy...to much$...my friends all had gen2's and they where just to raw imo for every day life-no 4 doors ether. then one of them traded up to an 04 and we took it to the coast, and when I drove it after only having been in 1&2 Gen's. well two months later I had the 06 Ram (10 grand less than the bow tie)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always been a Cummins fan (older bro had a 1st Gen) plus the 2nd Gen I had was starting to get a bit tired plus wanted the quad cab, more power, and 4x4. Better ride, brakes, and steering have all been a plus!!

Plus still needed something to pull my enclosed trailer to the motocross races all over the local region...

As long as I can afford to pay $3.30/gal for diesel....I'll never own another gas truck again.

DieselCarpenter...I'll glady take your 1st Gen off your hands....I want one!!

I raise my cup to the 3rd Gen Cummins...cheers
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 AM

I chose Other for my reason..

I was looking for a truck. I wanted a diesel and the Cummins steered me to Dodge. The closer was in 2004 the Dodge was the only truck that had 3 shoulder seat belts in the back. I have 3 kids and that was what closed the deal for me. The truck has treated me very well and I am glad with my choice. I will be driving this truck until the steel falls off around it. Then I will just need to find a donor shell to move the Cummins into to keep using the engine. This was my 1st diesel vehicle and I am hooked.

Also..
Diesel was $1.60 and gas was $1.90.. That was also part of my decision as the diesel truck would get better mileage. My wife keeps asking me why I am constantly buying parts because my diesel was supposed to take less maintenance than a gasser would?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 AM

Was time for a new truck, accountant says buy,; had Fords up until now, my Ford mechanic at the dealership said don't buy a new Ford Diesel, researched the forums, & my cousins have 3 CTD with good results & high milage, bought the 07 5.9. Wanted to get a 5.9, did not want the 6.7 because of emissions & new engine. Truck is all rigged for work, so far the truck is great.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM

I went to trade my 02 duramax to the dealer I had been doing business with for several yrs. we were just alittle apart on trade diff. I had a friend who drove cummins and loved them. I traded over the phone with the dodge dealer for about $7000.00 less for an 04 ctd, qc, 4x4. I have been cummins all the way since. I love 6.7 megacab.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Chapter President

I won it, and I was wanting one, couldn't afford it otherwise. If it wasn't for that truck I'd probably have a mid 90's 12V, might be up to a 24V now.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM

I have a '91.5 W-250 that I bought new. Most everything that was wrong with that truck I could trace back to the EPA.

When the 3rd gens. came out, in '03, there was a rumor floating around that a lot more emissions stuff was going to be added to the engines, as time went on (pressured by the EPA). The engine was already plumbed for an EGR valve, etc.

The '03, HO had very little "add-on" emissions stuff (cat., egr valve, etc.). So, I decided that this was the time to buy an emissions-free truck.

Needless to say, there are other things about the 3rd gens. that are nice, also. Larger brakes, more stock power, larger quad-cab, looks of the trucks styling, more comfortable ride than the 1st gen, etc.

My '03 has been a pretty good truck. However, I have been somewhat dissapointed in some things like the uncomfortable seats (which I fixed), the lack of support from the dealer/DC regarding knocking injectors (which I fixed), a fairly lousy A/C system that has already been replaced once, on my dime.

Personally, I wish DC had spent the money they used for all the "bells & whistles", chimes & other irritating stuff, on things that matter like comfortable seats, A/C that works & lasts longer than just past the warranty. I would prefer a simpler truck that is more reliable. Unfortunately, no manufacturer builds anything like that.

I still like the Dodge platform better than what Ford & GM offer. Three of my friends have Duramaxes & really like them. However, they are not without their problems, either.

My '91.5 W-250 was purchased because I was 'trying' to tow a 19.5' travel trailer in the mountains of AZ with an '85 Toyota Landcruiser. I was way underpowered with the L/C. I started investigating tow vehicles & engine combinations. My research pointed to diesels & the Cummins had the best reputation (turbo charged [as opposed to normally aspirated diesels], longevity, fuel mileage, reliability & power to pull). The Dodge/Cummins seemed to be the best choice & I believe it was.

My friends all thought I was nuts buying a diesel but, they now all have Duramaxes. I got "crap" from them for 10 years before they finally figured it out. One of them went back to a gas motor for about a year but, now has his second Duramax.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I ckecked the Mega Cab one but could have gone other and checked several choices.
I bought the Mega for the room and I have always like the short bed. I have been a dodge gas truck owner since 1997 and always wanted a diesel and knew it would be nothing but a cummins!!! I could finally afford to buy one and decided I would get exactly what I wanted...............Then the Mega Cab comes out and I had to rethink what "Exactly" I wanted After choosing the Mega it still took me about 6 months to fine MINE!! I am 100% happy with my choice.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Well, I've had a '95 12v 450 hp, an '02 566hp, and when I dropped a valve seat in the '02 I knew I wanted to try a 3rd gen because of how easy it is to make power. I wen't with the auto because I wanted a built auto. This is my first auto and sometimes wish I would have got a standard, but I know when I get my built tranny I'll love it!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM

I wanted a full 4 door extended cab which the 2nd gens do not have. Also have a friend that had a new Ford 6.0 that he traded in for a Dodge after the second time it left him stranded on the road.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Went to company picnic, had a couple cocktails, needed to kill a couple hours befor NRA banquet, went to look at new trucks, Drove one home later that afternoon. End of story.----But the real reason is that I was just about ready to put a new 05 engine in my 1st gen, and my bride says "wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a new truck rather than put that much money into the old one?"
Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 PM

You gave way too many choices in that poll, many of which apply to me....

I was looking for a new truck to replace my 97 F350 Crew with 7.3 in it, and wanted something without the emissions crud on it. A new Ford with the 6.0was a no brainer, way too much money ($57,000) for a diesel that is prone to problems. Chevy's are just too "car like" for me and I will not drive a heavy duty pickup with IFS, it's that simple.

So that left Dodge, the Cummins has an outstanding heritage and thats pretty much what sold me on it (07 5.9) that and the price was right compared to the other 2 trucks.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM

I had a '01.5 and was about to do a noise deadening project on it. Since my sons were getting bigger and outgrowing the rear seat in it anyway, my wife said "why don't we just get a new one?". She didn't have to suggest it twice!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy 3rd gen?