3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Why can't we have our diesel smell???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you were charged for an emissions test and you drive a diesel, then yes, it was a scam (or perhaps an inspector who made an honest mistake). You shouldn't have to pay for anything except the $13 safety inspection...or maybe it's $12...don't remember.

That applies not only to diesels, but to any non-gasoline powered vehicle in the state.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Emissions Testing Procedures

Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?

All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection, however some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.
Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

1. Vehicles registered in designated county. Designated counties include:

Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.

2. Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from the emissions standards, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

3. Vehicles between 2 - 24 years old OR upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well thanks, won't go there again, they said they wouldn't inspect it without it, wonder if they will refund it???? By the way, the truck in my sig, is my truck
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM

I know a couple people from other states that require smog testing. Most of them remove the cat and just weld the heat shield back on the exhaust pipe. It is illegal, but none of them have ever been fined.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:12 PM

The cat is a huge restriction on these trucks. I held mine up to the sun after pulling it and it was like looking through an air filter. It was a major improvement in sound with it removed.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mkinla
Based on your post are you saying that taking off the CAT would reduce HP and TQ?
No, they pushed the limits on the engine/fuel/timing to get the numbers so high, that it pollutes more.

so they had to add the Cat to control the extra stuff coming out of the combustion chamber at those performance levels

my Q? is....does making it blow soot not clog the converter?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM

You shouldn't have to pay for anything except the $13 safety inspection...or maybe it's $12...don't remember.

Hoss- do they actually make you have an annual inspection on such new vehicles??
Old 01-19-2006, 02:58 AM

This all makes sense now, my brothers POS 6.0L didn't smell like a diesel. It must have a cat on it. That or his 6.0L doesn't know how to burn diesel fuel
Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
my Q? is....does making it blow soot not clog the converter?
The catalyst gets so hot it practically glows red inside. It's unlikely that extra fueling will clog one BUT that extra unburnt fuel can burn out the cat much quicker.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Hey Hoss, I will be finished here in the North with my tour for the uscg in about 3 yrs, when I return home to TX, Finally , what should I expect for inspections, I read the thread and have no cat to worry about, but, how does the straight pipe issue pan out? When I get home I'll be back with Dad at the shop building Marine Diesels for the Crew/Supply boats, but I think I am gonna expand his buisness to cater to us.. Thanks Stephen
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 AM

Does Geno or someone make a kitty eliminater, like the muffler eliminater???????
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 AM

You are looking for a "test pipe". That way, you can test your truck out to make sure it is running right before you put the cat back on. You can eliminate the cat from the list of possible issues that way.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 PM

O Where O Where can I find a test pipe???????
Old 01-19-2006, 12:28 PM

genos garage....but, i d say just save ur money and buy a piece of pipe and weld it in...thats what i did on my muffler...saved some ca$hola....
Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTed
Hoss- do they actually make you have an annual inspection on such new vehicles??
I think brand new vehicles typically do not have to be inspected until they are two years old, but yes, a vehicle safety inspection is required for everyone on the road down here.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitDiesel71
Hey Hoss, I will be finished here in the North with my tour for the uscg in about 3 yrs, when I return home to TX, Finally , what should I expect for inspections, I read the thread and have no cat to worry about, but, how does the straight pipe issue pan out? When I get home I'll be back with Dad at the shop building Marine Diesels for the Crew/Supply boats, but I think I am gonna expand his buisness to cater to us.. Thanks Stephen
All you'll have to have is the safety inspection....which includes a visual inspection of the exhaust system if they actually get down on their hands and knees and look at it.

If your truck didn't come with a cat then it doesn't have one. Regarding the muffler, the turbo itself is considered a muffler so even if it is straight piped it is still legal in Texas.

Quick Reply: Why can't we have our diesel smell???????