3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When hauling/towing a load with these Cummins, how do you guys stop them?? I have a 2004, obviously, no Jake Brake, automatic, hauling and pulling about 7500lbs. To stop quick, you would have to stand on the brakes. Jake Brakes sound a little too expensive.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have trailer brakes? That makes a WORLD of difference. If not, I could probably find you a big boat anchor.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Both my boat trailers have brakes too. But you are right, these things don't stop as quickly as other vehicles (something about them being heavy ;-) ). And I am not too keen on the anti-lock system either.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With properly adjusted and functioning trailer brakes you shouldn't notice any difference in stopping. Having a decent (non-"jerky") controller helps quite a bit too. I have a Prodigy and love it compared to other (cheaper) one's I've had in the past.

How many miles on your current front pads/rotors?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 AM

Unfortunately, my trailer does not have brakes, therefore, I'm simply relying on the truck brakes.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking for more braking performance, try the cross drilled / slotted rotors. They dissipate heat much quicker & give a much more linear pedal feel. I also shaved about 10' off a panic stop on both my F150 and Dakota when I had them. I would not hesitate to use them on my 3500, when the time comes.

Some may argue that you are losing surface area on the disc and that cross drilling is only for unsprung weight savings. However, you still have all the stationary area of the pad. Since the rotor is rotating you still have the same swept area that the pads contact on the disc.

You could look into a Jake, as well. They are great for down hill runs & keeping your foot off the brakes & saving the brakes for emergency / city use. There are aftermarket exhaust brake kits that also lock up the TC.

HTH

Tony
Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davedye
Unfortunately, my trailer does not have brakes, therefore, I'm simply relying on the truck brakes.
No doubt then.

If my trailer brakes had failed on either of my trailers (12K equipment hauler or 10K+ 5th wheel) I would be rolling through intersections standing on the brakes.

They are not designed for that, anymore than 1500lbs gross weight back there is probably not too comfortable with no brakes
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by davedye
Here lies the problem. A 7500lb trailer with no brakes is not going to stop well. GET SOME BRAKES ON THAT THING! Prperly working an adjusted brakes on the trailer you should be able to stop in no more distance than with the truck alone. I can stop this in the same distance as I can stop the empty truck, but I got 6 tires braking............

Old 12-18-2006, 09:23 AM

i use my trusty G56 to slow me down when loaded!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by CTDPower11
i use my trusty G56 to slow me down when loaded!!!
??? G56 on an 01?? Please explain??

Oh and get brakes so you don't slide right into us... A jake is more for highway use and grades, not a replacement for the trucks ability to stop using friction brakes.... Trailer brakes and a good controller are a must IMO
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM

I could see towing in and around your property w/o brakes but on the highway your an accident waiting to happen!!!!! Hopefully you wont kill anyone.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM

I don't care how good your brakes are, with 7500 lbs pushing on you its going to take a lot farther to stop! I'd get brakes on that trailer as soon as possible. Eventually you're going to run into something or somebody. I couldn't imagine trying to stop my 8000+ lb coach without brakes.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 AM

What are you pulling that weighs 7500lbs and no brakes? Sounds dangerous!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Towing w/o trailer breakes is not very safe. I have done it (shame on me) for short trips around town, and I was lucky, but I might not have been. Until you get brakes, you'll have to double your following distance, and anticipate a red light at every green one. Be careful.

So, with all the negitive responses, can anyone give a soultion? Where to get trailer brakes with out having to buy new axles?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Wow,

I think the braking performance of the Dodge trucks is great. I've never had a problem loaded or unloaded. So far the most i've pulled was about 7K. Oh and not to rub your nose in it. But you should really never pull without trailer brakes, wether they are controlled by the truck or activated with the hitch, like on uhaul trailers, there's no exceptions.

Quick Reply: Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!