3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wheel well liners

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $80-$90 dollars they are they best Mopar add on. They are easy to install, you dont need to remove tires. Remove two screws and screw in 4 screws. Looks better, does a lot of good things, they should still be stock item. This is the only pic I have that really shows them.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel well liners

if you have mud flaps do you have to remove them to install the liners
Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 AM

David - are your tires really blue or is my computer playing tricks on me?

First time I've seen Smurf tires
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the mud flaps I have seen, including mine would need to be taken off and put back on with the wheel liners.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Do they make wheel liners for the front ?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 PM

BigRedMachine, the tires were blue in that picture. Was teh dangests thing. We were hunting, and it was very muddy. I had drove the truck down some old logging roads and went through some pretty big mud puddles. Well my tires were just caked with mud. Later in the afternoon, when the sun dried the mud off, the mud started falling off, revealing BLUE TIRES!!! Dangest thing I ever saw. The only think I could surmize that there was a high acid content in the muddy waters I drove through that reacted to the compounds in the tire ? It happened to my father in law and brother in law's truck, but to a much lesser extent. The blue on my truck was really noticeable. Ths was east texas clay mud. Anyway, for that weekend I had tires that matched my truck !!!

You will need to take off the mudflaps to put the wheel liners in. I had to on mine.

Rocky, there is no need for them in the front, as your front wheels are already lined to protect the engine.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, You guys made up my mind. I went to the dealer after work and ordered a set. They'll be here Monday. Thank-you! Oh, by the way they are $71.30.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 PM

In addition to the wheel liners, third gen trucks also need some sort of mud flaps. Otherwise you end up with lots of tiny rock chips behind all four wheels. I bought wheel liners and flaps for my '03 hemi. When I got ready to trade that "DOG" hemi in on my '04 CTD, I removed the liners, but not the flaps. Flaps were pretty obivous. Thought the dealer might notice. Of course, I took off the tonneau also & when I turned the truck in, nothing was said. Put the liners in the '04. Definitely proved the bodies, at least the beds anyway, are the same on the 1500 and 2500. Someone commented they should be standard. They used to be on second gen 4X4s. They are not standard for the same reason lots of things are no longer standard. It's called "profit optimization"!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:27 PM

Sorry I may be a moron but I'm still not understanding what you guys are talking about here. My truck came stock with plastic around the wheel wells but they dont cover all the much. Is this what your talking about or are they aftermarket ones that cover more? Just wondering becuase I have never seen a new dodge without the plastic in the wheel wells. But my 05 only has 2,000 miles and I already have a couple chips I've been looking for something to prevent this from happening. Does anyone have a more detailed pic of what this is? or of any nice looking mud flaps that will still allow you to fit 35's
Old 03-30-2005, 03:51 PM

First time I drove the truck on a gravel road it sounded like I was in a Sears metal storage shed and everyone was throwing rocks at me! Didn't take me long to add a set and they definitely are worth the money!! Wouldn't be w/o them!
Larv
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM

Anyone have the part # for them?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:01 PM

sajigore, I bought mine at Allan Samuels Dodge Alliance off 35 by Keller. I went to the parts department, and told them I neede rear wheel well liners and they went and got them for me.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:20 PM

Other than there being more work involved in taking the wheels off, is there any reason why they couldn't be installed on a dually?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by 00turbo
Sorry I may be a moron but I'm still not understanding what you guys are talking about here. My truck came stock with plastic around the wheel wells but they dont cover all the much. Is this what your talking about or are they aftermarket ones that cover more? Just wondering becuase I have never seen a new dodge without the plastic in the wheel wells. But my 05 only has 2,000 miles and I already have a couple chips I've been looking for something to prevent this from happening. Does anyone have a more detailed pic of what this is? or of any nice looking mud flaps that will still allow you to fit 35's
I noticed no one has answered your question. All the trucks come with those little tiny shields. The ones being discussed are large, full coverage shields. They cover the entire inner wheel well. Old trucks all came with them. Second gen 4X4s also did. AFAIK, no third gen trucks come with them. It was a "cost savings" measure by DC. Intersting that they didn't eliminate the shields, just didn't install them. Heck, you only have to drill one hole at the rear of each wheel well.

Also, you mention mud flaps. Those are the FIRST thing one should install on a third gen truck. The stock wheel/tire sticks out so far that within a few thousand miles, you have lots of nice rock chips. I like the molded factory ones. Can't comment on whether they fit with 35s. No interest in them.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CTDwannaB,

I don't think the fender liners fit on a dually.

Also, I don't take the wheels off my truck to remove or install the liners...

Quick Reply: Wheel well liners