3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What's up with the fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another vote here for seeing the info about the btu per pound of fuel being the same, but too tired to locate it.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Strjock81
Removing the sulphur will have little if any impact on the energy content of the fuel. The aromatics contribute to seal swell and conditioning, but relatively none to the energy level of fuel per pound. Don't believe the rumors that the hacks on the message boards are spreading--look at the actual industry tests and government documents that back it up. I could locate the documents to back these statements up but I am ready for bed.

Lubricity of the fuel will be brought up to mandated standards before the fuel ever hits your tank, but it won't hurt to add a little dose of additive. Bear in mind, and this isn't brought up enough here, that some of the chemicals found in additives like Diesel Kleen, or any other diesel additive that smells like it (most do) attack bearings in engines when used in overabundance. Especially in winter when fuel is forced past the rings and gets into your oil. I used to use slightly higher than maintenance doses of the stuff all the time and couldn't figure out why my bearing wear metals were so high in my UOAs. Terry Dyson figured out what was going on and once I switched to Schaeffer's Neutra and/or Fuel Power (FP60) the abnormal bearing wear ceased in one OCI. In Winter, I don't have any gelling problems running winterized diesel here in the NE part of IL without any additional additives, although sometimes I do add just a dab of white power service because it makes me feel better if it is going to be below 0.
Okay I will be the one to ask: What the heck is UOAs and OCI?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by pakman
Okay I will be the one to ask: What the heck is UOAs and OCI?
I'm going to guess here:

UOA = Used Oil Analysis

OCI = Oil Change Interval
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
childofthewind ........you may be right. I assumed that since they used ethanol in gas, they put it in diesel, sorry. pakman......, I would be very interested on some information on industry test & documents. I have been searching around for just that. I really enjoyed the EPA information. The government really can produce lots of paperwork. Some of it has some neat fiction. Like the EPA press release Dec. 21, 2000 " As a result, todays action will prevent 8,300 premature deaths, 5,500 cases of bronchitis, and 17,600 cases of acute bronchitis in children." When does this great healing begin, this week or next? Stuff like that makes me wonder about the other EPA information . Any information on the actual diesel content is not there. I admit it could be operator error, this web site is very helpfill, I'll keep looking.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 PM

Filled up with the good stuff on Saturday and getting from 17.8 to 18.9 mpg, just depends on the idiots on the road. Did the math and actually the good stuff is saving me about $4.00 a tank full x 5-8 tanks a month depending on service work, and it adds up and adds to the bottom line.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to keep in mind. I got that rollover valve recall done yesterday along with my oil change @10k. On the way back home mileage is now 2 mpg better. I never seen it at 18+ mpg on HWY. I called the dealer to see if he reflashed it. He said no but did change the fuel filter......go figure. Before I went I used compressed air to blow out the filter, and gained about 1/2 mpg going to the dealer. The HWY mpg has usually been 16 +/-. So air filter clean-out did something. The dealer is about 20 miles on way, all HWY. Another thing the service guy said that if Dodge or Cummins thought I needed to use additives, they would have said so. He did not believe I needed it in winter either the diesel has all that is needed. He said if I lived in Florida, that would be different. That is the route I am going, no additives.....FYI.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by PumpDaddy
Filled up with the good stuff on Saturday and getting from 17.8 to 18.9 mpg, just depends on the idiots on the road. Did the math and actually the good stuff is saving me about $4.00 a tank full x 5-8 tanks a month depending on service work, and it adds up and adds to the bottom line.
What station sells the good stuff talked about?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM

I have gotten the best mileage from the fuel at the Exxon station. Wally World fuel sux. The Exxon is what's in the truck now, and the MPG is up.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 PM

i run wally world fuel from time to time and and have never noticed a difference... Still get 18-20 depending on the wind and my foot!