3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Whats up with the Dodge (quality)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur on the sheetmetal..........I have 5 small dents in mine, and I couldn't tell you where they came from! I slowly rolled a 300 lb four wheeler into my bed and dented the hell out of the back of the bed w/a light tap of the bumper. Additionally, I have a nice collection of small dents from my loading ramp too. I'd think the least they could do is double up the high stress areas of the bed. I love my truck, but it sure is a crying shame that the sheetmetal is so flimsy..........I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the 20 mpg gas mileage!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell me about it, I managed to scratch the paint slighty while removing a few stains with just my fingernail! Has anyone else experienced this or is my paint even thinner and softer than usual?

PS: This is my 100th post!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

If my truck didn't have the cummins in it, I would honestly light it on fire and push it off a cliff!!! The Dodge product in my opinion is over priced crap, which anymore everything is turning to that!!! I baby my truck and everyday I notice a new rock chip or a tiny dent or something Granted mine is a 2nd gen, but still!!

I had 2 powerstokes, both 2003's one with the 6.0L and the other with the 7.3L. The 6.0L had some MAJOR issues so I went with the 7.3L and loved everything about it. I had a couple small issues with it ( very minor ), but the more and more I have my dodge, the more and more I really regret getting rid of my ford. It was honestly the best truck I have owned and kick myself everyday for selling it. I have been a Dodge guy my whole life, but if they don't start making a better product, I hate to say that I'm probably going back to Ford if not Chevy!!

Call me a trator, but I'm just really sick of spending money on a half a** built truck!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 PM

Like many of us - I think the best of both worlds would be to have a bombed, twin turboed 12V transplanted into a Ford Crewcab.

The thin sheetmetal is never going away. Wait until they start making them out of plastic like the Saturn Cars.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

You hit the nail on the head................that would be perfect!!!!

And if they ever start making them out of plastic, I'm gonna move to an island and by a Edit BOAT!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Talking

I am glad I do not live under the cloud that hangs over all of you. My only dents have come from me & I plead the 5th, here. My paint is perfect after 3 years. I have the beloved plastic bed liner, which has kept the bed pristine(altough I do plan to primer the minor rust this fall, maitenance.)
I have NO ISSUES, None, but my truck is barely broken in. No LP, No VP44, no runs, no hits, no errors.
Perhaps this a benefit of being the last of the Gen 2's maybe they finally solved most of the problems.
I would like to think using Power Service helps lube the stuff that breaks, but they be more the luck of the draw!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM

It seems to me that the only complaints I have heard (on a regular basis) on this site are either Paint/Body related or a lack of a good Limited Slip/Locker for the rear axle.

Go to www.thedieselstop.com and see what they have to say. I am trading in my 04 F350 tomorrow on an 05 QC. I do like the Fords interior and have never had an issue with the paint or body but that POWERPUKE really sucks with a manual transmission.

Joe
Old 09-28-2005, 05:49 PM

I have a 1998 1500 Slt and a 2003 in my sig.No paint issues with eaither truck.No weird dents or scratches.I watch were I park and how I use them.Haul hay,grocerys,trailers,feed,drive gravel roads etc.Have a bed liner in the 1500 and a bed mat in the 3500.Haul lumber,fence posts etc.The 1500 has hardly a scratch anywhere and no dents.The 3500(knock on wood)has one or two little rock chips down low on rockers,fenders.Very minor.Metal and paint look and feel to me same as the other stuff being built these days.Never much cared for Fords(AND its 6.0)(and TOO BIG) and Chevys are just plain UGLY.(If not a DodgeI would buy a DuraMax)Don't like V8 diesels of anyones too much.3500 towing 8 or 9k on rural roads,stop and go traffic etc.gets around 13 to 13.5 mpg.So DOES my 1500 not towing or hauling anything but me! Have friends and family that NO MATTER what they buy looks hard used in a year or two.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

I haven't had any major paint issues with mine, it just seems like it's a little too thin and even the smallest rock will take a hefty chunk of paint out if not put a little dimple dent in the metal!! Especially with my big tires, it throws some BIG stinkin rocks ( can't blame dodge for that one ). I just wish trucks would have stayed they way they were back in the 70's and 80's......simple and TOUGH!!! No stupid computers and built like a brick S*** house..................and not to mention tons cheaper

And I'm captain **** when it comes to leaving my truck somewhere, I would rather walk a mile and park away from everybody than pull in with a bunch of cars, but then you get the usual smart a** that parks right next to you out in the boonies.........JERKS!!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Cool

Ah, yes, 70's + 80's; 440's, 454's, 460's. 5 mpg. Maybe 8 empty. Trucks road & looked like tanks. Not to mention the tow ratings were typically under 10k. Comfortable as a railroad tie.
They drove horrible without a load. No Diesel motors. You can have my share of those days.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 PM

Guys, I have scratches all down both sides from driving down logging roads 6 feet wide. I forget the color of my truck bed on the inside ....was it the same as the body. I buff 90% of the big ones out and got the top rails and fenders sanded and sprayed $149. Its a work truck and when it gets bad enough I'll paint it only to keep the rust at bay. For looks to me it could be scratched down to the primer. It ain't no show truck its my big ugly heavy haulin goat. ks
Old 10-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't baby my truck but I don't beat on her either. All I can say is the paint and body is holding up fine with no dings/dents or chips at all. This is/was a new color for 05' so maybe they fixed the paint issues. Much better than the 97'ram I used to own.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:46 PM

abc....,

For a truck like yours, I always thought it would be cool to get Armacoat Bedliner sprayed all over the bodywork.

Joe
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 AM

If they put a Cummins in a Ford I'm moveing to Cannada.... O never mind I don't want to be stuck up there with the Kerry suporters

DM01
Old 10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Like many of us - I think the best of both worlds would be to have a bombed, twin turboed 12V transplanted into a Ford Crewcab.

The thin sheetmetal is never going away. Wait until they start making them out of plastic like the Saturn Cars.
DR.EVIL, I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A GOOD FORD WITH A BETTER CUMMINS IN IT,ITS SMOKIN!!! MATTER OF FACT THEY WERE ALL IN SHELBYVILLE KY THIS PAST SATURDAY. IT WAS TOO GOOD

Quick Reply: Whats up with the Dodge (quality)