3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Whats up with the Dodge (quality)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats up with the Dodge (quality)

I just question the integrity of the body and paint. My father and I both have 05's and run a construction company out of them. These trucks have 12k on them and have fine scratches, and small dents all over. I question this because we are very careful not to scratch, as our last trucks were used for the same purpose, and looked better at trade in than these do now. Thin sheetmetal, and thin paint. I feel like I was jipped.
DK
Old 09-24-2005, 06:52 PM

It's called character
Old 09-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Not a pennys worth of differance in that area from the other manufactures.EVERTHING is thinner metal(tho probably better quality and less rust then ever before) Even tractors and big equipment is down that same path.Imagine the WEIGHT of a 3rd generation built from the same metal specs as a 1st generation!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:56 PM

I will add this, My 2001 F-350 sat in the driveway at my mothers house through a hail storm with her 2002 Dodge ram and dads 2001 chevy. The dodge had 53 hail dents in the hood alone when done. The ford and chevy had none. Dodge sheet metal is crap if you ask me. Too thin or something.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 PM

The hard truth is that the Dodge is built lighter, just weigh a similar Dodge and Ford, the Ford will weight more every time. More metal, built stronger. That's why I bought a Cummins pickup, uh, well, you know. If they had made a Ford with a Cummins, that's what I would be driving. Flame me if you want, it's the truth.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's my biggest gripe with Dodge. Thin sheet metal. One thing though, does make it easier for the paintless dent repair person to work the sheetmetal. Chevy's and Japanese trucks also have very thin sheetmetal. My neighbors 2005 Chevy Silverado CC already has little dents on the sides of the bed from leaning over it. Ford's exterior sheetmetal 'seems' to be thicker, but the bed is flimsy. All my friends Superduty tailgates are all pushed in from the inside.

MikeyB
Old 09-25-2005, 09:42 AM

I will attest to the thin sheet metal too. I recieved over $2000.00 worth of hail damage to my dodge while a chevy parked 100 feet away had ONE DENT!!! I have over 150 dents on the roof, 120 on the hood, 60 in each drivers side door and 30 or so in both front and rear fenders!!! Ouch.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:12 PM

This is my sixth truck and the bed has be "babied" or you'll destroy it. Non of the others were like this, including the first one, a Chevy S-10. This is already weighing in my mind when it comes time for the next truck.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 PM

One word- CRAP.

I have to look for dents after I hit a large insect on the highway. I have dents that I have no idea how they got there?? I had a Toyota Tacoma before this and I'd venture to say it had metal twice as thick. Dodge paint sucks too, of course I see these same sort of complaints on other brands boards these days.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 AM

yeah i am noticing mall dings on mine too. the bed got a little scratched from a light bit of dirt falling from the bucket. i watched an the guy didnt do anything really bad. its making me really mad cause it is so hard to keep this truck looking nice and use it at the same time. Maybe im wrong and should consider the fiberglass hood. probably stronger!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 AM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WildBill
The hard truth is that the Dodge is built lighter, just weigh a similar Dodge and Ford, the Ford will weight more every time. More metal, built stronger. That's why I bought a Cummins pickup, uh, well, you know. If they had made a Ford with a Cummins, that's what I would be driving. Flame me if you want, it's the truth.
No flame here, just a me too........... The new dodge gets paint scratches just from washing it
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 AM

I filled out the DC corp survey yesterday, as it was sent to me after I got an oil change from my dealership.
The very first question, how likely are you to buy another DC product. I marked, Definetly will not!
This is the sole reason, I love the motor/chassis its by far superior to my 01 PSD that I traded in. However the body is pure crap. My 01 had 50k+ when I traded it in, and it looked better than my 05 now.
DK
Old 09-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OX1
No flame here, just a me too........... The new dodge gets paint scratches just from washing it

Mine gets driven at the ranch about every other weekend and not 1 scratch(couple on the fender flares)--Why---I wax it every month with Meguires #26 and it keeps it slick!! The other trucks that we drive are scratched pretty good but they are never waxed and we drive in the same conditions!!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Watch carefully as you open and then close a new Superduty door. It is amazing how much the door skin moves. It is like they forgot to put a brace in the door. All of the manufacturers have gone to way too thin sheet metal.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 PM

I've got scratches all over mine and I couldn't tell you where they came from. I'd say that those must be some large bugs I'm hitting because the paint looks like poop. I estimate that I will have to get the truck painted within 5 years because it will look horrible by then. That's a shame.......

Quick Reply: Whats up with the Dodge (quality)