3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What to request when buying a new truck that's been sitting a Looong time

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to request when buying a new truck that's been sitting a Looong time

The 5.9's that are still available have obviously been sitting a long time. What is a reasonable request of the dealer before delivery and on their dime?

Fluids changed? Which ones?

Anything else?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would guess that fluid should be OK but I would request that they put 15 or so gallons of fresh fuel in it along with a fuel conditioner due to the long sitting time. The rest of thte fluids shouldn't have any problems that I can think of.......

JMHO......
Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM

They should fill it up with fuel right before you buy it as a matter of policy, so that's not something to worry about. I'd try to negotiate add-ons such as remote starter, tonneau cover, running boards, brake controller, etc. These things are cheap for a dealer but expensive for us.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Keep in mind that anything you ask for at the dealer will cost someone. If the dealer 'throws in' something like a power step running boards, and it retails for about $1000, the dealer cost is about $500. They still have to pay for it, and if they are throwing it in, then they have a good profit with the truck. The only way a dealer will throw in something ( I used to work at a few, sales and sales manager) is when there is either enough profit in the deal, or becasue they really want to sell it, and they have to weigh the cost on what it is you want. because again, either they are paying for it, or you are. Usually a good practice for something that you want, and they want to get rid of, is about $500 retail. and you should get what you want. It's not too hard to eat $250 dollars thier cost to get a vehicle moved that is costing them flooring everymonth. But I would try to get them to put something in the deal and you should get what you want and be very happy. Again, remember it's about 50% mark up on parts and accessories. Happy shopping
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
PCM

My truck was 11 months from build date till I purchased it. It is just now to the point of running GREAT. ALL the injectors have been replaced at less than 20k miles and some kind of major reflash. If I had to do it over again, I would have made them drain and refill the fuel tank and change the fuel filter before I signed the papers. No telling what kind of crap developed in the tank and fouled the injectors from the build date till delivery. Just my thoughts. PCM
Old 10-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a couple years ago I bought a 1959 mercedes benz 190d that had been sitting unmoved in the same spot for over 10 years. I had it hauled to my shop on a flat bed and once it arrived we dropped in a new battery just to see what lights might come on on the dash. I was playing with the glow plug control **** on the dash which you had to pull on and a heating coil would glow on the dash to show you when the glow pugs were hot. then completely by accident I pushed in on the glow plug **** which turns out is how you crank the starter over and the car fired right up and absolutely purred. we shut it off and aired up all the tires and made sure we topped off the water and oil and drove it to the fuel station with no brakes just to fill it up with fresh fuel. it took $1.11 to completely top it off. it was basically full to the top when it was parked all those years ago. after all that sitting time the fuel was still fine and we never did have a problem with the fuel system. even if you did have some crap in the tank after a year of sitting(which it wont) , the truck will have a 7 micron fuel filter in it stock and will catch anything that came out of the tank. I wouldnt give it another thought. diesel doesnt "go bad" like gas does.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM
PCM

Yeah, that all sounds good, however, no manufacturer puts more than a gallon or 2 in the fuel tanks of new cars. I would have been great if the tank had been full, however, the guage barely registered with an odomoter reading of 29 miles. Probably a bunch of water and crud.....I'd drain the tank. pcm