3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What lift to get & how tall before driveshaft problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What lift to get & how tall before driveshaft problems

Well Im looking to lift my truck after fire season and I have been looking around for a all around good trail set up and good road manners and that is not a cheap POS set up.

I know most on here like the KORE set up as do I but the reasent hike in price has turned me away I dont justify paying 5K for 2.5 inches of lift especialy when htat does not include tires or rims. Its a bad Edit set up but not worth the extra 1K it jumped in price. I was looking threw one of my off road mags and I came across the new Skyjaker 5' kit that just came out for the 2500 one of the reasons I Like it its that it does not use a crappy block to lift the rear they have replacement leafs in the rear I dont like to cut corners Plus I hate blocks crappy ride and they ware out your leafs. But I have not heard anything about skyjackers kits good bad etc what do u guys gals think of this kit?

At what hight do u run into problems with drive shaft angle problems on the 2500's I just baught my dream truck and I have no plan to destroy the drive train components from extreme angels.

any feedback would be great

-Chris
Old 07-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you think the KORE setup is overpriced, then it's definitely not for you.

Other than that, the best lift is none at all. If YOU do a lift (which I don't recommend) keep it under 4"

jmo
Old 07-16-2005, 09:11 AM

skyjacker has been around for along time and i have had several diffrent versions on some of my older chevy's (mostly mud trucks) the seem to be very well made. ride varys depending on the kit but if your looking for a quality ride dont lift it
Old 07-16-2005, 10:41 AM
JR1

I have used Skyjacker lifts a few times and they make quality stuff. A lot of companys use crappy steel in their coil spings so they sag a few years down the road. I have lifted many Jeeps, and chevys over the years, XJ,ZJ, and every chevy made. With the coils on the fron anything more than 2-3" LCA's are a must, 4" + uppers and lowers, and the Trac bar must be moved or replaced with a adjustable one. Blocks under the rear help the ride, a add a leaf stiffns it up, if you want new springs for the rear it will cost quite a bit more.

I helped a kid here in town put 8" under his 03, I like lifts but his is a little squirly on the feeway.

I would use anything other than Procrap, worst, cheapest lift made.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 PM

i have a 6in superlift on my truck i love. i dont think all of us are big ballen like hohn there

look in my gallery to see my truck.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 AM
JR1

4" would work for me with 35-36's I'm gettin old and decrepit but I'm still a kid at heart, other than in the morrnin when I get up and hurt like hell.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 AM

I highly recommend the 5" Procomp kit. It completely changes the steering setup with new tie rods and drag link. You also get an adjustable track bar which is nice. No vibrations here. I also used the superlift 6" coils so I could clear my 37's but if you are just doing 35-36's the 5" will be fine. Pics in my gallery
Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you actually feel the KORE system is worth it if price is not an issue? If it really is THE best, it'd be worth it to me. I'm not going to buy a $40,000 dollar truck and either ruin the ride quality or risk having major problems down the road just to save some cash. I'm only planning on running 35's so the height on this kit may be ideal for me.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:07 PM

The KORE systems are as good as it gets with anything on the market right now. But.....it is overpriced.

The Race system should be $800 or so less expensive if you actually price out the difference between uprgrading from the Pace system and the added cost of the Fox shocks and billet shock towers. I can not understand how they can price the Pace at $1540 and then price the Race at $4000+. Good stuff, but overpriced IMO.

But, I have a feeling that someone else out there very, very soon will have a comparable suspension for less money.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 PM

Personally, I'd wait until DC figures out the vibration problem that seems to be inherent to these trucks before doing any lift. It would suck to be denied warranty coverage. I have already had to replace my rear driveline,(@ 5500 miles) and my truck is bone stock. I was going to lift mine, but now i think I will just go with larger tires.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:56 PM

I have no doubt that the KORE system is teh best set up for our trucks but like most have posted its over priced. Im not trying to cut corners and im not trying to lift my truck to the sky im just looking for a good quality kit that does not cut corners and does not use blocks in the rear and that will save me alittle coin in the process.

If Kore whent back to ther prices they had two months ago I would already have the kit on my truck but the price hike on a already pricy system turned me away. If I had money to burn I would get it cause its the best all around set up.

-Chris
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they do go back down. It seems like almost everyone is VERY unhappy with their price hike. If people stop buying their product due to this, I'm sure they'll drop it back down... I wonder if you could haggle with them?