3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What Does It Weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What Does It Weigh?

Was asked yesterday how much my truck weighs. I don't know, but it's an interesting question. I couldn't find the answer in the manual. I realize the exact weight would have to include passengers, how much fuel, and the load in the bed. But, can anyone offer a ballpark figure? I'd find it very interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-31-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: what does it weigh?

Since you're in Colorado, look on your regristration under CWT to get a rough idea of the weight thay taxed you on.

Frank
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 AM

Just went to the town dump yesterday with 6 - 50 gallon bags of wet leaves, came in at 7200lbs.

Ron W.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:17 AM

Re: What Does It Weigh?

Originally posted by DodgeRamCO42
Was asked yesterday how much my truck weighs. I don't know, but it's an interesting question. I couldn't find the answer in the manual. I realize the exact weight would have to include passengers, how much fuel, and the load in the bed. But, can anyone offer a ballpark figure? I'd find it very interesting.

Thanks in advance!
My truck was 7080lbs fresh from the dealer with a full tank of fuel - no one or nothing else in the truck. I've since added 480lbs of stuff onto it (trunk lid, nerf bars, tools, etc...). These numbers still don't inlcude anyone sitting in the seats yet.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:13 PM

Mine is Heavy...a huge canopy and lots of tools and i'M over 9100 lbs still getting 17 mpg
Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 PM

weighed mine at the tractor pull 7200 with a full tank of fuel
Old 01-30-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In one of my conversations with Customer Service checking on the build status, the rep told me that my 04.5 3500 QC 2WD 48RE weighs exactly 6,494 lbs. That must be the weight before they put it on the train for shipping/billing purposes. If I had to guess that will include a couple gallons of diesel and all the factory fluids.

Forgot....short bed.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by handymantim
In one of my conversations with Customer Service checking on the build status, the rep told me that my 04.5 3500 QC 2WD 48RE weighs exactly 6,494 lbs. That must be the weight before they put it on the train for shipping/billing purposes. If I had to guess that will include a couple gallons of diesel and all the factory fluids.

Forgot....short bed.
Tim, until you weigh it, you are only guessing. So is that rep you talked to - reminds me of a salesman who tried to explain to me the new hemi diesel. I've seen the factory "weight" for my truck before and it wasn't even close. I think DC uses them for tax purposes or whatever. My truck was something like a close 200 lbs heavier. And don't go by working backwards from the GVWR's listed in the brochures to find a weight either.

No individual truck is "exactly" a weight, because of differences in how its optioned out.

All factory fluids is also up for discussion. My truck was delivered low on rear diff "factory" fluid, but it wouldn't amount to that much weight difference. When you pick up your new truck, I'd check the fluids just in case.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:33 PM

I'm right around 7000 with fuel fuel and nothing else on board.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 AM

Mine weighed in at 7540lbs with a full tank of fuel, Hard Folding Tonneau Cover, SuperGlide 5th Wheel Hitch, BetterBilt Nerf Bars, & a few other things.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:44 AM

I guess I wasn't too clear in my last post. When the rep told me about that weight, 6494 lbs, the truck had already been built and was between JS (storage) status and KZ (shipping) status.

It's a pretty safe assumption that the trucks are weighed before they are shipped. It's been my experience that ANYTHING that is shipped is weighed. Maybe someone who works for a train company can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

The rep also went on to say, "This is the only place you'll see this weight. Right here. Before it's shipped". Implying the trucks are weighed.

Also forgot to add that I have the following options that might affect the weight a little:
- Tow hooks
- Leather
- Tow package
- Tow Mirrors
- Back seat storage
- Aluminum wheels
- Block Heater
- Adjustable Pedals
- 6 disc CD
- Security Group
( It's an SLT but I didn't want the Laramie's sliding rear window, that chrome trim along the side or that brushed aluminum dash bezel.)
Old 01-31-2004, 04:10 PM

Weight from DC Customer Service

I was given a weight of 6,902 lbs. with the truck ordered below. Current status is JS.

jr
Old 02-01-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by handymantim
I guess I wasn't too clear in my last post. When the rep told me about that weight, 6494 lbs, the truck had already been built and was between JS (storage) status and KZ (shipping) status.

It's a pretty safe assumption that the trucks are weighed before they are shipped. It's been my experience that ANYTHING that is shipped is weighed. Maybe someone who works for a train company can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

The rep also went on to say, "This is the only place you'll see this weight. Right here. Before it's shipped". Implying the trucks are weighed.
I thought you were pretty clear the first time. I just think that your assumption of everything being shipped is weighed may be flawed. I'm not sure why DC would invest in and maintain a scale only to weigh vehicles before they're rolled onto a CSX (or whatever) rail car. I don't think a rail car's capacity is even remotely reached with a full load of trucks on it; and I bet the rail company is more concerned on keeping the rail cars filled rather than counting pounds on individual cars. I don't ever remember a buddy who was a brakeman on the C&O ever saying that they weighed the vehicles - and they used to move a lot of cars and Kellogs cereal.

I've loaded ships many times with USMC vehicles. Yes we're concerned about weight, but not to the point where we roll each and every battle tank and jeep onto a scale before loading it. We did like to know when they moved the tanks when underway because that would affect the trim of the ship.

FWIW, my 2500 was 7080lbs on the way home from the dealer, and it appears to be optioned the same as jarmars 3500 that they said weighed 6902. ...his would be about ~200 lbs lighter - you would think a 1 ton truck would be even a little heavier than a 3/4 ton truck, wouldn't you?
Old 02-01-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by bulabula
I just think that your assumption of everything being shipped is weighed may be flawed...
I could be wrong, but I assumed that the weight I was given was computed by using a standard list for components rather than individually weighing each vehicle. It is possible that this is done automatically using the order codes.

jr
Old 02-01-2004, 09:05 AM

This is probably already a dead horse (mainly because neither of us REALLY knows if each truck is weighed) but a couple more ideas:

The difference in weight between Bulabula's and jarmar's truck was probably either the fuel (~7lbs/gallon) or the driver.

If the military tanks/trucks were being loaded on a military vessle then I can understand them not being weighed each time....nobody is getting paid for shipping them. I could be wrong but I think every commercial shipping company sets their shipping charges based on weight (among other variables like distance, size, hazmat, whatever).

It sure would be smart for DC to have a list of stardard weights for each option. Would save a lot of time not having to weigh each truck.

Quick Reply: What Does It Weigh?