3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What do y'all use to air up your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do y'all use to air up your tires?

I'm in search of a timely solution to pump up my freakin' tires.

I've tried using one of the air compressors that you plug into your power adapters and I think that it'll burn out before it finishes pumping up to the proper pressure. I've tried using the air pump on post, but it doesn't seem to pack the punch to get the pressure much past 50 lbs. And I'm not going to even bother with that little 1 gallon air compressor.

Got suggestions?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even the portable 4 gal twin tank contractors compressors stay on constantly when airing big tires. That is what I used until I got my 26 gal shop compressor.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

I just ordered 3 monster train horns with a 5 gallon air tank with an extra 25ft of hose to pump up my tires. We'll see if it works
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Even the portable 4 gal twin tank contractors compressors stay on constantly when airing big tires. That is what I used until I got my 26 gal shop compressor.
So I'm pretty much going to have to learn to be patient to fully air up my trucks tires.

I don't like patience.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:32 AM

You can find used compressors at a good price. Get one with a large enough tank so the compressor isn't running the whole time.

I have a gasoline powered Ingersoll Rand and it does just fine
Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if money is no object , build your own on board compressor. these guys have some bad a$$ 1 hp compressors (I have one) and it will make over 200psi quickly at 100% duty cycle. http://www.airbagit-store.com/produc...ory.asp?id=625I am running it to a 3 gallon tank under the truck and it will power my locomotive horns and also have a regulator to drop the pressure down to 120 for tires and my air bags. I researched it and there is no better or higher output pump than this 1hp unit. all the "train horn kits" that come with chinese chrome train horns , 5 gallon tanks and little compressors take forever to recoup and dont make near the pressure and burn up quickly because they are under powered and running at over their rated load. this thing has an all US made pump and a 2 inch bore and is a full 1hp and even with a smaller 3 gallon tank it will get up to and stay up to pressure faster and longer than 5 gallon systems. my system will be set to shut off at 200psi and come on at anything less than 200.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

When I go offroad or to Mexico, I take a scuba tank, 3000 psi, 80 cf. I can let out and refill the tires a bunch of times before I have to refill the tank which costs 4.00$. Works for me but if I had to do this everyday, I would go some other route.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by GalenEdgewood
I'm in search of a timely solution to pump up my freakin' tires.

I've tried using one of the air compressors that you plug into your power adapters and I think that it'll burn out before it finishes pumping up to the proper pressure. I've tried using the air pump on post, but it doesn't seem to pack the punch to get the pressure much past 50 lbs. And I'm not going to even bother with that little 1 gallon air compressor.

Got suggestions?
Co2 with a regulator.
Attached Thumbnails What do y'all use to air up your tires?-airbottle1.2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supersonictoys
if money is no object , build your own on board compressor. these guys have some bad a$$ 1 hp compressors (I have one) and it will make over 200psi quickly at 100% duty cycle. http://www.airbagit-store.com/produc...ory.asp?id=625I am running it to a 3 gallon tank under the truck and it will power my locomotive horns and also have a regulator to drop the pressure down to 120 for tires and my air bags. I researched it and there is no better or higher output pump than this 1hp unit. all the "train horn kits" that come with chinese chrome train horns , 5 gallon tanks and little compressors take forever to recoup and dont make near the pressure and burn up quickly because they are under powered and running at over their rated load. this thing has an all US made pump and a 2 inch bore and is a full 1hp and even with a smaller 3 gallon tank it will get up to and stay up to pressure faster and longer than 5 gallon systems. my system will be set to shut off at 200psi and come on at anything less than 200.

Does this compressor have enough power to run air tools off of it? I am looking at a compressor kit to be able to run tools off of it and be able to air tires, train horns, etc.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:14 PM

i was planning on going to harbor freight and getting the $40 150psi 12v compressor they and and a 3 gallon tank for $15. that should be plenty for me to air up in an emergency.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by hobbz
i was planning on going to harbor freight and getting the $40 150psi 12v compressor they and and a 3 gallon tank for $15. that should be plenty for me to air up in an emergency.
i did the same thing, i got a free (pos) compressor for 4wheelparts for ordering a set of tires. it worked for a little while but now it quit working. it took about 10 min to get a 5 gallon tank up to 150 psi. i had hell trying to get it to quit leaking.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We carry a bottle of nitrogen and a regulator on the trucks to air up in the pits when a compressor's not an option.

On big truck tires, even the high-pressure 2-stage 80 gallon compressor at the shop takes a little while to fill them up!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

my x-girlfriend bought me a 20 gal compressor from Grainger last christmas(best theing she ever got me so needless to say she didnt get it back when we broke up). I use it all the time for airing up tires, air tools, cleaning the garage ext, but from the looks of the post looks like your lookin for something more protable. I like the scuba tank idea, I have seen it used acouple times and seams to work great.
JW
Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 PM

Unless you carry a 20+ gallon compressor around with you no portable unit is going to fill a 35" tire very quickly or easily. I'm buying one of these:

http://www.powertank.com/
Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Powertank = Co2 bottle. You can put one together cheaper. The one I have is 20 lb.

Quick Reply: What do y'all use to air up your tires?