3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Well, it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Well, it finally happened

One call you always dread... "It looks looks someone tried to steal your vehicle."

They tried. I was working a job down in Texas yesterday when I got the call. I hopped into my company truck and drove up to my apartment complex in Colorado. Sure enough, the truck had been rolled to the other side of the parking lot, the steering column partially destroyed. My dealer installed Silencer security system would have prevented the truck from starting in any case, but the thieves sure were retarded.

They managed to break-in without destroying anything. No broken windows, no damaged key lock. I imagine they broke in the same way I have to when I lock my keys in the truck.... uh.... It can be done in less than 20 seconds if you know what you're doing. I have a lot of practice.

They checked everywhere for a spare key; except the arm rest console, where I was keeping it at the time. Not finding it, they attempted to use a screwdriver to turn the ignition. It didn't work, so they tore the steering column apart. The ignition is completely destroyed.

In some ways I feel lucky that's all that was broken, but I don't think I want to imagine what all has to be done to the truck to get it running again. Without a key, I'm trying to figure out how they managed to get the steering column gear shift to work. It flies through all the positions now, with no key, or the brake on. The electrical system is completely dead, and I'm not sure if that's a security feature of the sentry key system or not. All my Silencer does is kill the starter relay. The sentry key system will probably need replaced, along with the ignition, and probably new door locks. A new ECM? Gonna be fun figuring this out.

Anyone have this happen to them, and can tell me what was involved getting the truck running again? Think after this, I'm going to a full Revelco system.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
someone tried to do that to me too once, but luckily they got scared off right before they destroyed the column. got in without a window or anything...i never could figure out how short of a slim jim or something. neighbor was leavving for work and they hauled butt.

sorry to hear of your bad luck, good luck in getting it all sorted back out.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM

well, I talked to a few people. someone tried to take the truck around noonish. They left the lights on and drained the batteries down. I charged the batteries up with my company truck, dissassembled what was left of the ignition and tried to start it. It cranked, turned over and immediately died. I did a quick code check, and sure enough the Sentry Key system was tripped on the ECM. Sucker won't run without a reprogramming. Sonofagun. Well. guess it's time to call a tow truck.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That just sucks!! I hate people like that. Hope you get it all taken care of quickly.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM

youre workin in floydada i guess? im right down the road in lubbock

sucks bout the break in, **** theifs.....hope ya get it fixed up soon

wes
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 PM

I wish I knew how to break in with out messing anything up about 3 weeks ago when I shattered my rear slider with my keys locked inside.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM

I know the way he is talking about. Its way to easy if you know how. I have done it for people in parking lots and they have kinda a scared look on there face when you get it open in 15-20 seconds. POP-A-LOCK charges $56 and takes about 5min trust me I found out the hard way on my bosses truck. Hope you get it going with out too much trouble.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 AM

Yeah, this thief got in quick, but scratched up the paint around my door and destroyed the weather stripping. I'm thankful he didn't try to "pop" the lock or bust in a window. I almost wished he tried to steal the factory raido. CD player on that thing hasn't worked in years. Maybe I should make it easy for them next time. A little joy-riding might provide an excuse to get my insurance company to replace my rear dif, ball joints, u-joints, tranny.... lol. (I kid, I kid... for those of you who take everything seriously.)

I just finished up my project in Floydadya. I'm moving to a new site about 50 miles south of Lubbock. I'll probably be staying in Lubbock for a while after the project starts.

So does anyone know what's involved with fixing the sentry key system after it's been "tripped" by having the ignition ripped out and and then started with a screwdriver?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM

I hate that. I still think in Texas to treat car thieves like horse thieves. String them up from an old Live Oak.

Pete
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM

They broke into my truck 3 years ago. I have the autopage alarm in it and love it. I was too far away to hear the alarm but my keys started to beep real loud. Grabbed the glock 9 and greeted the nice man who was sitting in my driver seat. Neighbor called 911 for me and I kept him face down in the mud next to my truck at gun point till the cops got there. Turns out he had been breaking into tons of turcks in my area. Did I mention I love my glock and now have a speed holster next to the driver seat.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I watch wind blow...

Originally Posted by rockjeep
Did I mention I love my glock and now have a speed holster next to the driver seat.

EXCELLENT, it sure stinks to hear stories like this.

i would probably go to jail if i caught someone in the act.... when i was a young teen i used to partake in those activities never a whole car though, and luckily i got caught when i did before it escalated further. live clean as a whistle now. i am fortunate enough no one caught me in the act, and blasted me.

KARMA wil catch up to ya. FIRM believer of that.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rockjeep
They broke into my truck 3 years ago. I have the autopage alarm in it and love it. I was too far away to hear the alarm but my keys started to beep real loud. Grabbed the glock 9 and greeted the nice man who was sitting in my driver seat. Neighbor called 911 for me and I kept him face down in the mud next to my truck at gun point till the cops got there. Turns out he had been breaking into tons of turcks in my area. Did I mention I love my glock and now have a speed holster next to the driver seat.
I might have been temped to dance a few rounds near his head just to see him soil himself. Living in San Diego I got my Jetta broken into 3 times and I am glad I never caught them in the act because I probably would have held them close to death till the cops came. Makes me so mad, ya feel totally violated.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM

Is there a way to prevent this type of entry?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

I used to leave my Dobie in the truck with the engine running and the A/C on for him (115# red)...never did have any problems with theft.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Update:

I don't think there is a way to prevent this type of break-in. The doors on these trucks are just too flexible.

Repair place was done fixing my truck 2 days after I had it towed in. I did learn that the sentry key system has it's own little module in the steering column. It's a little $75 part that's designed to blow when the truck is started without the key. That raises concerns. I know on the Hondas, a few years back, it would fry the ECM. This would really disable the vehicle. Figured our would be the same. Aparently not. A thief willing to invest a small ammount of cash could result in a loss of our trucks without additional security measures in place.

Yeah, definately time to replace the Silencer with a Revelco.

Well, steering column had to be replaced as well as a new ignition and shifter mechanism. I'm sure that the only work done to the door and doorjamb was touch-up paint. I'll have to see how it looks next time I get up to Colorado.

Quick Reply: Well, it finally happened