3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

welding on frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welding on frame

the truck im looking at used 05 2500, already has a gooseneck hitch put in... well they welded the frame and i don't really like the idea of that. my question is how many have welded there hitches in and how has it been? i know dodge states no welding or drilling on these frames. should i be worried about this or will it be ok? thanks all...

P.S. anyone know why the window sticker on this 05 reads cummins diesel 600 ft lb torque? did they do the 610 after a certain date??
Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 AM

i know dodge states no welding or drilling on these frames.
you can drill and weld the frames, you just need to do it in specific spots. there is a file floating around with details on what can be done to the frame..

as long as it was welded in the web of the frame, and not within .75" of the flanges, you should be ok.

anyone know why the window sticker on this 05 reads cummins diesel 600 ft lb torque? did they do the 610 after a certain date??
i doubt there is any difference between the 2 of them other than a thicker pen used to draw the dyno graph
Old 08-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Thanks ill have to find those details and take a better look at the frame.

thanks
hh
Old 08-20-2005, 09:08 AM

The frame can be welded if the proper procedures are followed. Dodge provides it for free, it's downloadable, make sure the welder followed them. You can probably find the link by searching in the trailer towing forum. I had my GN hitch welded on. My shop installed saddles over the existing frame and welded them at the bottom of the frame so as not to compromise the frame. I've had a number of trailers hooked to mine with no problem. Is yours a turnover ball hitch, removable ball, or fixed ball that cannot be removed?
Nat
Old 08-20-2005, 09:16 AM

its a removable ball, just screws out... it looks to me if i remember right the 1" plate is sitting on top of the frame and welded a little before the end....
Old 08-20-2005, 03:12 PM

When I bought my truck new from the dealer they put in a gn hitch for me and it was welded in. So I guess you should be ok. I haven't had any problems yet. 79650 miles.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:39 PM

ok thanks, sounds good, where exactly did the weld it? right to the top of the frame or someplace else?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:55 PM
J&L

I tow a 11200 lb 5er that had the hitch brackets welded in 52000 miles ago per Dodge specs. My neighbor, hotshoter, has a '03 one ton that has welded brackets for his GN that pulls 26000+ lbs and no probs in 185000 miles. As a old jig weldor/fabricator you won't see any bolts through my frame for something as important as a 5er/GN hitch brackets. If your brkts are welded per Dodge Body Builders Guide by a real weldor then no probs.........JIM
Old 08-20-2005, 07:57 PM

does anyone know where i can get those specs from dodge on where to weld? i searched but failed

EDIT- Just found this...

If your dealer dose not have a copy of it give him this. Memo follows: 2003 Dodge Ram Frame Caution: Use of proper safety equipment is recommended when performing any modification or alterations. The following industry standard procedures are recommended for proper installation of special bodies and/or equipment on the Ram Frame (ie. 5th wheel hitches, snow plows. etc.). Failure to follow these recommendations could result in damage to the basic vehicle and possible injury to occupants. Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail with the following restrictions: 1) No holes should exceed 20 mm (0.75 inch) in diameter. 2) Material between edge of hole and top or bottom of the frame rail must not be less than 40 mm (1.60 inches). 3) The minimum edge distance between any two (2) holes must be larger than twice the diameter of the larger hole. 4) Any thru fastener that torques down on both external surfaces of the rail must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube. 5) All holes should be drilled in the frame using appropriate drilling practice and safety precaution. 6) Avoid drilling holes near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines and other lines and wires to avoid damage to them. Welding Prior to any welding, the following must be done: 1) Avoid welding near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines or other component that bay be damaged by the heat of welding. If it is necessary to weld near these areas, use wet cloths to cover these components. If it is necessary to remove the fuel tank, lines or other components, do it in accordance with applicable service manual procedure. 2) Components near the welding area which could be damaged by excessive heat must be removed or adequately shielded. 3) Disconnect the battery . 4) Precautionary measures should be used to prevent electrical system components or wiring damage. 5) Frame e-coating must be removed from the welding and surrounding area. Use proper welding techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely effect frame performance. After Welding: 1) Carefully inspect electrical components and wiring for shorts and other damage: 2) Apply protective coating to areas where coating was removed. Note: DaimlerChrysler Corporation doesn’t recommend any modification or alteration to the frame assembly. Modification or alterations (i.e., drilling, welding, etc.) to the frame assembly are the responsibility of person performing these modification or alteration. Anyone shoring the frame must assume complete responsibility for assembly, performance, reliability and compliance of applicable FMVSS requirements

Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail <---- does this also count for welding? i would think so...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The memo does not give ANY restrictions to welding except the obvious (electrical, brake lines, fuel).

Assuming that memo comes from the horse's mouth (and it sounds like it does) then you will have no problems welding to the top, bottom, or web of the frame rails.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:07 PM

ok i just wanna make sure i dont buy this truck then take a first trip with 90 some thousand dollars worth of hay burners then my frame twist on me or something oh jeez what i nightmare that would be!

thanks all, keep opinions coming
HH