3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Weird Feeling in Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Feeling in Steering Wheel

Hi All,
So, my wife has pretty much stolen my truck from me and left me with the Jetta tdi wagon I got to replace her car that got T-boned. It's kinda like when people get dogs for each other, the dog always bonds to the wrong person.

Annnyhow, I had the truck (2006 4wd) today for the first time in months and noticed a weird feeling/feedback in the wheel, like something was jiggling or loose in a way it shouldn't be. It's not severe but noticeable. I swear I can even feel it in the pedals. The steering is no more vague than when I bought it 30K ago.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything that was really similar. So, what do you think? Control arm or joint thing? Should I be worried?
Thanks in advance!

Oh, I checked the fluids regularly. They are fine.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Shakes left to right around 50-60 mph? Ball joints.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM

If it's doing it while turning you got bad u-joints.Just had to do both fronts at 36k
Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cletus
If it's doing it while turning you got bad u-joints.Just had to do both fronts at 36k
Yep, at lower speeds.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yup, if its not doing it at the speeds madhat said than try finding a really big parking lot and do some circles at ever decreasing turns in both directions. If it gives you a sort of mild loping feeling (like having it in a turn in FWD on pavement) its probably those darn front u-joints. My LF went at 71K (just after warranty). Cost me $900 bucks at the dealer to get both sides changed but I was in a hurry. If you are not in a hurry you can get it done for a lot less.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 PM

Mine was the same real jerky on low speed turns,kinda feels like when your in 4x4 turning on dry pavement.I thought it was only the driver side but both my front axle u-joints were rusted and siezed, I couldn't believe it at 36k.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:18 AM

maybe she is grabbing the steering wheel to get in and has loosened the column support up? Watch her the next time you see her get in. Just throwing that one out there.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM

I did my front u-joints myself in the driveway on a truck that has 100k + that had the under carriage was never taken care of. Costs me 55 a piece for the front U-joints from O'Reilly. Ball joints never hurt either... except your wallet! I know two guys who just put XRF on their trucks and love 'em. Just a thought... If you have it down for the u-joints. One of my u-joints gave feedback in the steering wheel and if I rolled the window down and passed by a wooden fence in the neighborhood I could hear it.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cletus
Mine was the same real jerky on low speed turns,kinda feels like when your in 4x4 turning on dry pavement.I thought it was only the driver side but both my front axle u-joints were rusted and siezed, I couldn't believe it at 36k.
Good idea, have noticed mine wiggling on minor road problems. Thought about loose column mount. Have to check that.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM

How do I check the column mount? It feels like the wheel and column are solid.

How do I verify the U-joints are the issue and how hard are they to fix?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm not a wrench jockey, however with this economy I'm trying to learn how to do more on my own vs. paying others to do stuff for me.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks for posting this question! I just noticed the same problem with my '06 last week while on a trip. Feels like the truck is in four wheel drive when I make slow turns to the right or left. I thought maybe the steering stabilizer was shot, but as usual it sounds like it's a more expensive problem! I have 37K on my truck, and now I'll be looking for someone to post a good replacement front u-joint to buy!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This is an excellent write up for ball joint replacement, but it of course also outlines how to remove the front axles.

http://wiki.dieseltruckresource.com/...nt_Replacement

From there the caps are retained on the inside edge of the caps by clips.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM

OK, we're up to column mount, U-joint(s) or ball joints. How do I tell which it is? This is all great info, keep it coming!

Oh, and that ball joint writeup is awesome. Even I understood that and the poster made it look like not too bad a project...Especially if I can bribe my neighbor into helping with beer and steaks on the grill.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
For ball joints, jack up a front wheel and see if there is any slop. It can be helpful to have some pry, let up and pry on the bottom of the tire while you feel around to identify where the movement is. Be sure to chalk the tires and use a safety stand.

Front axle U joints, look at them very closely for rusty looking stuff around the caps, and try jacking a wheel up and turning it while the wheels are turned sharply.

Having taken the dash out, the column mount is pretty dang solid, and if you don't feel any play pushing the steering wheel up and down, I would think that to be OK.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM

i have this same problem, and i do not believe its ball joints or u joints-i believe its somethin with the trackbar or sway bar, because my front end was just redone and that noise, or feeling in the steering wheel and foot pedals are still there

Quick Reply: Weird Feeling in Steering Wheel