3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

weeping brake caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weeping brake caliper?

Anyone seen a brake caliper weep? I was under the truck this afternoon and noticed my right rear caliper was weeping at the fitting where the line attaches. And had been doing so for a while, since there was grease and crud all over the rim, rotor and brake/hub assembly.

I tightened down that nut and cleaned the area with simple green, so now I'll wait and see if it keeps doing it. If so, it's off to the dealer for new whatever parts that it needs... fittings or a whole caliper and rotor if that's what it takes.

Does brake fluid on the pads make that brake basically useless? Or will it burn off as I use the brakes - assuming I've sealed the leak.

I checked the resevoir and it's pretty much full, so it's a very, very minor weep, but boy does that stuff gunk up!!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:05 PM

Not that it's really important, but how many miles & how much pad is left? The brakes on the rear will likely go about twice as long as the front, in looking at mine today on my '05 it looks like Dodge has also gone to the thick pad like gm did in '99.
If it were me, I'd make my dealer aware of the leak if it is a warranty issue and they may replace them, and they may not. I don't know Dodge's position on the contaminated pad, I don't think it would be a safety issue unless you are heavy hauling alot and really warm up the rears. Eventually and probably soon, the fluid will be gone from the pad. In any event, let the dealer check it and if it is ever an issue, --------- you had the dealer check it. Good luck. Jeff
Old 09-05-2004, 07:25 AM

Hate to tell you but I doubt it is brake fluid with the "gunk" you are talking about. I do however suspect you have a possible rear axle seal leaking. The other thing is that no brake fluid or oil or anything will "burn off" brake pads. Once they have been soaked with fluid they are done, as the friction material soaks up the gick. The rotors should also be machined as cast iron is also porous and the only way to remove the oil from them is to machine the top layer. The result of not doing this will be a brake assy that likes to usually grab differently than the other corners. Just outta curiosity...were you one of the ones who suspected low diff oil level in the rear diff and topped up all the way to the top of the fill hole? Only reason I am asking is because I suspected that AAM filled to the lower level to prevent rear axle seal leaks and am just following up on my suspision as it may also have nothing to do with why an axle seal would leak. Also how many miles are on your truck?
Old 09-05-2004, 09:41 AM

I think Joel mentioned he had a loose fitting and the level in the master cyl wasn't noticably low, that led me to think that the pad was not saturated and I have seen many brakes that have been very wet from both fluid & gear lube. They tend to glaze and will sometimes grab (non-ABS), stopping power probably isn't as effective. Like I said, I would have the dealer check and bless it either way. Jeff
Old 09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CRXsi
Hate to tell you but I doubt it is brake fluid with the "gunk" you are talking about. I do however suspect you have a possible rear axle seal leaking. (
Well, I'm not a mechanic, but the leak appears to originate from the fitting where the brake line bolts to the caliper assembly. I don't know if the fitting was loose or not, I just put a wrenc to it to be sure it wasn't the smallest bit loose. Would a rear seal leak appear to eminate from this point?

I did add some fluid when I first got the truck, but changed it out a while back and filled it to the proper level - NOT to the bottom of the fill hole.

Truck has 25K miles on it and I haven't checked pad wear... I haven't towed with it yet, so I don't suspect at 25K the pads are shot.

I guess I'll take it in for new pads as a minimum and see about getting them to turn the rotors.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:04 AM

Two things first, some back ground on myself so that it doesn't seem like I am nuts...I am a licensed Technician. The other is that assuming my assumption is correct about the gear oil or not. If the pads have become soaked with a fluid (I am still thinking rear axle seal leak) then either way the rear brakes will probably be relined under warranty as a subsequent failure of the failed part...assuming either axle seal or caliper. If the dealer gives you flack hold your ground and press the point that if the pads have had fluid on them they are no longer safe. I have done many warranty repairs for axle seals and always replace pads/shoes and machine rotors/drums without the manufactuer even questioning as it is a safety concern.

The reason I don't really believe that it was your brake line leaking is that typically if it starts to weep (not a common scenerio) it will just make your caliper look damp. To get "crud" in your wheel you either have to have a significant amount of fluid loss or a really thick fluid (such as gear oil) being flung off of the hub/rotor assy. As well you have said your fuid level in your master cyl is good. Either way if enough fluid has come off to get on your wheels then more than likely your brake pads have been contaminated as well. Warranty should not have a problem replacing the pads along with whatever failed part as well. Don't forget to have them check your park brake shoes as well as if they are soaked they should also be replaced under warranty.