3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Water/Fuel Seperator

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water/Fuel Seperator

I was filling up yesterday and checked the oil and purged the water seperator to drain. Water had been coming out for almost a minute when I shut it off because I had another guy that needed to use the pump. <br><br>My question for you guys is does this happen to be normal for that much water to come out? I dipped my finger in the fluid to take a smell and it did smell like a small amount of diesel but not like the fuel itself, the overwelming smell of diesel. I was wondering if winter mix fuel causes this. I only have about 1500 miles on the new truck and lent it to a buddy for a weekend to haul some stuff. I wonder if he fueled up at a bad station or a station that does not get that much traffic. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.<br>
Old 03-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Banned

Re:Water/Fuel Seperator

when the weather cycles from warm to cold with a less than full tank of fuel, condensation will form. This then gets pumped into your tank. While I believe that is alot of water from your separater, this time of year is tough. I try to fill up at the same place all the time, so if a problem does arise, I can track it down. Was the water in fuel light on?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:14 AM

No it was'nt on I just drained it as normal practice. It still had more in it I just did'nt have time to drain it all out.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:14 PM
cp

Sounds like it's doing its job.<br><br>I've had different kinds of fuel/water separators and they vary in their effectiveness. The best kind I've used was a combination fuel/water separator and fuel heater. You had to drain this thing daily in the winter--out of 100 gallons of fuel, it would easily separate out a half pint of water.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:48 PM

I have not drained the 03 CTD yet but if it is the same as my 96 CTD the first part is water <br>then fuel. The water stays on the bottom of the filter and comes out first when you drain it.<br>You should not have much water if you are more then a 1/2&quot; to a 1&quot; of water<br>the &quot;WATER IN FUEL&quot; light will come on.<br>You may have been draining good clean fuel.<br>The old filters hold one quart of fuel and or water max no more!!!<br>I remember people talking about draining a quart of water and if<br>that was true the motor would have been running on water.<br>Jon
Old 03-25-2003, 09:46 PM

TON4FUN, I would think you were draining fuel too. I don't think the fuel bowl would hold enough to drain for a minute, let alone it all being water. If it was all water, I don't think you would have been able to drive it to the fuel stop.<br><br>Did you drain it into a glass for inspection? or onto the ground? I normally just let it drain onto the ground. I did it tonight after fueling up - but it wouldn't drain unless the engine was running this time. My little puddle blended in with the other puddles at the truck stop. I normally flip the lever for a little bit then close it to purge any water sitting on the bottom of the bowl.<br><br>Was your engine running? If so, yes, you could probably drain over 30 gallons of fuel if you left the valve open long enough.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:23 AM

No the engine was not running. I drained it again this morning and the same thing. I think something is wrong with the seporator. As for filling up in the same spot I always do that, but its hard to do when your 600 miles away, sometimes you have to fill up in odd ball spots. When I traveled with my old SO I always tried to fill up at busy stations. I don't know if my buddy did or not. <br><br>I will be taking it in next week to get he issue ironed out. I just wanted to see what everyone else was experiencing. My old SO never leaked a drop out of that container.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:36 PM

I live in Miami Florida my truck is only two months old with 2800 miles. At the begining I would pull the switch to check for water as the manual indicated but nothing ever came out(the truck was not running according to the manual)? Am I doing something wrong. The dealer told me not to touch it they will check it when I take in for an oil change. I tried to change the oil at 1000 they suggested I do it at 3500 because thats the best break in oil the truck has now. Since I am new at owning a diesel I did as he said .
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 PM

Ton4Fun, if you are draining water then there is nothing wrong with the separator, it is doing it's job. Or did I miss something and you are now talking about a fuel leak from the cannister?<br><br>Mattdrew, there is a TSB related to this. Mine had the same problem and the TSB fixed it. Here's the link:<br><br>http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/14-005-02.htm
Old 03-29-2003, 09:14 PM

Thanks badunit will try in the am. will let you know results.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:08 AM

After reading this post I went out and rotated the lever on the water/fuel seperator. Fluid immediately began spilling out on the garage floor. I shut of the valve after a second or two and the unmistakeable odor of diesel fuel was evident. Being new to diesels my questions are these. <br><br>1) Is this something you are supposed to do at every fill up or if not then how often. Also, if you do this at the station I assume you have to climb up on the front bumper to reach the valve because I don't see how else you could reach it.<br><br>2) If there is water in the seperator it will flow out first but eventually you will be spilling out pure fuel once the water is purged because the seperator simply allows a bowl for water to settle and once it is empty the fuel will start draining. Correct??<br><br>Thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:15 AM

MY first diesel is still on order, so I am curious if it is visibly evident when your done draining water and are now draiing fuel?
Old 03-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Berak link=board=17;threadid=12713;start=0#122152 date=1049040930]<br>MY first diesel is still on order, so I am curious if it is visibly evident when your done draining water and are now draiing fuel?<br>[/quote]<br><br>What I do is drain it into a clear 12 ounce coke bottle.<br>Let it sit for a bit, and the water will sink to the bottom, or rather, the fuel will float on top.<br>If you don't see any seperation, then you didn't have any water in there.<br><br>I gave up trying to drain it every fill up, as nothing ever came out.<br>But when I change my filter (every 10,000) I do this drain procedure just to make sure.<br><br><br>phox
Old 03-30-2003, 08:55 PM

I drain it once every 4 or 5 fillups. I've found that its too much of a PIA to try and drain it into a glass for inspection. The ground works for me. Then again I've never had the WIF alert either.<br><br>Drafter, you're correct on Q#2.<br><br>As said a couple of times earlier, sometimes the fuel doesn't like to come out anyways.<br><br>I carry a little 2-step step ladder that makes this easy.<br><br>Don't do this in your ashpalt driveway, the fuel wreaks havoc on it.