3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warranty ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am with Luke S on this 100%, if you play be ready to pay.

I get aggravated reading some of the stories on here where guys are boasting about cheating the dealer out of warranty work. It burns me up because they have a double standard in place in regard to honesty and morality.

They come on here and whine that the Dealer is always trying to take advantage of them, charges too much for parts and in general always trying to cheat them.

But they then turn right around and try to stick it to the dealer when they damage something because of the way they abuse their truck. They lie and steal from Chrysler and the Dealership, and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I think you should not expect more honesty from Luke, or any other Dealer,than you are willing to expect from yourself. This may seem like an over simplification of the issue, but I honestly believe you have to make a choice as to how you wish to live your life.

You can either be honest, or you can be a thief. I know the word thief may bother some of you, but make no mistake about it. If you take something you haven't paid for knowing your actions caused the failure, you are a thief.

If Luke here charges you for something he hasn't done to your truck, you will most certainly think he is a thief.......Judging your self to the same high level of morality that you hold the Dealer to, is the right thing to do.

By the same token, if you have a legitimate claim then by all means stick to your guns. You should not be taken advantage of either. It is a two way street no matter how you slice it.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke, I would take my truck to your shop anyday for service cause you sound like a person of high merits (I would just call ahead to see what kinda mood ya were in )
I could'nt agree with you more about warranty work and mods vehicles lasting longer and such.
One buys the vehicle, signs a contract which includes the warranty the seller DC clearly outlines what they will warranty and for how long on the product "AS IS" the same way you bought it! once the owner deviates from this contract by modifying it is the owners responsibility, period.
Heck, remember when ma Mopar put in writing that they would'nt warranty the 68 hemi cuda when new?

Warranty and Policy Coverage
Any customer purchasing this model vehicle should be advised that due to the expected use, the vehicle is sold "as is" and the 24 month or 24,000 mile warranty coverage, the 5 year or 50,000 mile Power Train Warranty coverage, or any other warranty coverage (including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness for purpose intended or merchantability) will not apply to the vehicle. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for the manner in which such vehicles operate.
Any repairs or adjustments which you belive warrant factory participation should be brought to the attention of your Regional Service Office where such requests will be handled on INDIVIDUAL MERITS.

Thats what I like about Mopar, always bringing more power to the table/track but, than buyers always wanting an extra inch except with the 68 hemi cuda they spelled it out!
This whole thread kinda reminded me of it.
BTW Luke, where are ya located if ever I am in the neighborhood I'll stop in and by ya a round.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 PM

I am in east central Missouri. And so you know, my mood doesn't change much on this topic.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 PM

I will say if techs some times price their own stuff like the pillar with gauges example some with blow customers out of the water.I use to get that crap now and then and before I called a customer I'd go look and confirm how hard or easy to do.Many a time I took that extra 1.5 to a .3 or a 0 and it was plenty.Weak service advisors and service managers that are not in control of the shop or pricing are more at fault then anything.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 PM

if you have a legitimate claim then by all means stick to your guns. You should not be taken advantage of either. It is a two way street no matter how you slice it.

I agree with this completely. A cheat is a cheat. On the other hand, there must be a reason why National politicians are ranked in opinion polls as the most untrusted profession, by only 9% of those polled, and car sales people are right behind at only 10%. Firefighters are the most trusted. However- don't paint everyone with the same brush! Luke- you are obviously a great dealer, willing to help customers as much as possible, and I appreciate your comments and advice very much. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luke when are you moving up to Northern Alberta Canada.
You could make a killing up here fixing trucks the right way.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I seem to have irritated a few and if so I'm sorry, this was not my intent. I fully agree with the statment Luke made, if and I say "IF" the gagues interfeared with doing whatever service is required than yes the truck owner should pay for the extra work. But if they do not then there should be no additional charges. In my case I had an injector replaced and when I got home after having the warranty work done found the oil severly contaminated with fuel still. Upon calling the dealer that did the work I was informed that he only got paid for 1 oil change therefore if I was unhappy it was up to me to pay for the second (within 50 miles) as the dealer screwed up and the procedures for testing were not done correctly. I got stuck for $50 and DC said more or less tough luck.
A month later when the second injector failed on the road there was no problem with it other than DC trying to deny the repair as it had jsut been done within 30 day (They didn't notice that is was two different injectors #4 & then #6) and no charge for the second oil change to me. Ov course I lost 3 days and had to pay motel, car rental and loss of work for 3 days, but it was my nickel I guess. Of course 30K miles on truck and no idea why it failed from dealers. Just Star said change it.

Then on another post the dealer trying to charge for warranty work on the engine when when it was pointed out that it was a warrantied part/repair under the 100k but still had to call DC to keep from paying the $100 deductable. I have heard of this many times and in the case of my first injector had to almost coime to blows with the dealer and showed him in his own warranty book with his secretary also saying it was fully covered but hiom insisting it wasn't and I had to pay the $100. These are the items that frustrate us as owners. That and the fact that DC seems to not care about it's customers anymore. I have asked for diganosis as to why my truck has lost 3 reliefe valves, 1 lift pump, 1 CP3, and 2 injectors yet not one dealer has done anytype of diganostics to find out why just keeps quitting and leaving me stranded. $40 grand and no better than the old truck I traded in on it.

That is why I think many are fed up with the poor quality of repairs and poor customer service from local dealers.

Yes Luke, you sound like one of the good guys, but there is a larger percentage of poor ones and I think I have met many of the wrong side of them. If I have any more problems on my 04.5 then I think I have found a dealer with good diesel techs and he has promised me good service.

(Luke just a quick question)

What would you have done if one of your "Good" techs had replaced a CP3 on a customers truck, then that customer exploded the front of his truck leaving him stranded and having to fighe DC as the failure was due to "Poor workmanship" from you dealership and the customer is stranded for 8 days waiting for the dealer and district managers from 2 states (Michigan & Flordia) fight it out. Mi dealer finally ahd to pay the Flordia dealewr so I could get my truck back. but grouched about it and tried to beat me to death over it. If you want further info PM me and I have the dealers letter to me. I know mechanica make mistakes, just admit it and try to make it right with your customer.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by donhov
(Luke just a quick question)

What would you have done if one of your "Good" techs had replaced a CP3 on a customers truck, then that customer exploded the front of his truck leaving him stranded and having to fighe DC as the failure was due to "Poor workmanship" from you dealership and the customer is stranded for 8 days waiting for the dealer and district managers from 2 states (Michigan & Flordia) fight it out. Mi dealer finally ahd to pay the Flordia dealewr so I could get my truck back. but grouched about it and tried to beat me to death over it. If you want further info PM me and I have the dealers letter to me. I know mechanica make mistakes, just admit it and try to make it right with your customer.

Not sure I understand, exactly what part of your truck "exploded"?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 AM

Luke it didn't exployed but was not correctly reasembeled and fan and pullys and what not came off doing a great deal of damage to other items in the process.It was very shoddy work.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 AM

I don't know all the details of your problem, but if that is what really happened they should have simply put your truck back together the right way and sent you on your way. Did you have one dealer put on the CP3 and another try to fix the other problems? When one dealer has to fix another ones mess that can get a little hairy sometimes, been there done that, not fun.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, sorry I didn't explain very well.

Mechanic did not tighten fan nuts correctly and did not Loc-Tite when truck was re-assemblied after a CP_3 failure. (This was a miss diagnosos per mechanic that fixed it who found out later it was the 3rd Relief valve failure but that is another story in itself) Therefore fan came off, as we pulled into campground new years day eve. Destroyed front shroud, fan, clutch hub, some wiring and much more damage. Also mechanic cracked the timing cover plug by over tightening same. I noticed oil leak during my trip to Flordia and tried 4 dealers on the way from Mich to Fl but not one had the minor part I needed to repoair (a plastic 3" threaded cover) so was advised to drive with leak and just watch oil level. Lost 1 1/2 qts in 1200 miles so no problem there other than the mess that 1 1/2 qts oil leaking under truck can coat entire trailer and truck. I asked the Dealer to re-imburse me for my labor hours at $15 and materials for cleaning up truck and travel trailer (32' 5th wheel) in the amount of 6 hours total and for my our of pocket expenses, $50 to pay someone to spot trailer for me and for 3 trips to the store that I paid other campers $10 to take me as I had no transportation for 3 days. I asked for $250 for the above work and problems which was over and above what he had to cover to the Flordia dealer. Got told I was greedy and trying to stiff dealer. Had no documents to prove same and I informed him of same when I requested additional payment. He said that he didn't feel that he (dealership) caused problem even though Fl and MI district managers agreed that damage was caused by "Shoddy workmanship" from work done at Mi dealership.

I was originally quoted that the repairs would cost me $1700 up front to repair truck (truck was under 30K miles and still under 3yr 36month warranty but because quality of prior work done caused damage Flordia dealer refused warranty repair) but after district managers worked out details he was billed $1200 including 6 day car rental from Enterprise car rental so he got a dealer break for items at dealer cost would be my guess. I was not allowed to get truck till all repairs were paid in full so I had to wait on Michigan dealer to send payment which he finally did 1 day after truck was repaired. I would have expected at least a letter of apology from the mechanic and dealership at the least but got nothing other than being called a Golddigger in his letter to me.

Guess that I have very poor opinion of dealers and their work standards for the most part and service managers that refuse to honor warranty details even when you as a consumer can point out the specific items and warranty terms like the $100 deductable for that is not aplicable under the Cummins engine warranty.

From the sound of it your dealership it takes the time and care to try to be fair with your customers but believe me and many others that you are the minority by far. By the way the above was from a Chrysler 5 Star dealership that I had recently bought 2 vehicles from and my son had bought 2 from him during the last 4 years. Even thought I had a working relationship with their primary Diesel mechanic as we had discussed my upcommingt trip to Flordia and the importance of getting truck back in to shape for this trip. We left 3 days after getting truck back and broke down within 1200 miles with the above problems.

Just wondering what you would have done under the same circumstances.

Don

PS If you want any further details please PM me and I will gladly give you faxed copies of the work orders and dealer names for both locations including the one that stiffed me for an additional oil change or my phone number to discuss these items.
I am in the process of trying to get this truck lemoned but so far just wistling Dixie as far as replys from DC or even any response from them.
Thanks .... Don
Old 12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Second. If your truck is stock, I personally see no reason to have to monitor your turbo. We leave all our trucks stock and tow a 48' three car hauler and have never had premature turbo failure due to high EGT's. So from our stand point it is hard to believe someone when they come in with a full set of gauges that isn't modded all to heck otherwise.

My 3 gauges are boost, pyrometer, trans temp.

I monitor boost while towing my 15k# 5ver and adjust my speed accordingly,
more boost = less fuel economy, less boost = better fuel economy.

I monitor my pyrometer to avoid swallowing a valve or scorching the top of a piston, also by the time the engine management system decides to put the engine into limp mode its to late, the damage is already done.

Same thing with the trans temp, I cringe at the thought of it going to 200 degrees, let alone any higher, and adjust my driving accordingly.

My only other mods are a Mag-Hytec double deep trans pan, and a rear diff cover, and a 2 micron fuel filter. Everything else is bone stock.

I believe you seeing a high amount of modifications is more a geographical thing, here's why, in my small corner of the country truck pulls and diesel drag racing is mostly nonexistent, but out midwest it appears to be extremely common, almost a way of life.

In closing, I would like to say thank you for your cander, and your honesty, it is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 AM

I have all the same reasons as Hvytrkmech to have a Commander gauge package. Now while I fully understand Luke S's reasoning for being ****** about guys bombing there trucks, then removing the chip and claiming there trucks are broke under warranty is flat plane and simple.... stealing and dishonest.
What I don't like about Mr. Luke S's tone is that anybody that pulls in his shop with a gauge pack, be it Commander what ever is suspect.

If you drive up and down the highways with a 12K to 15K trailer behind you, you want all the info you can get coming out of those gauges, I also run a Doran tire pressure system that monitors every tire under me. Is that truly needed.....No, BUT it's a hell of a lot better than not having it.
No it's not fair for a few bad apples to upset the barrel.
But I'd like to think when I go into "My" dealer, and he see's my Commander hanging on the pillar, he'll give me the benefit of doubt, and ask me like a man if I have chipped the truck at any time and expect a honest answer, and not be on the defense thinking I run the quarter mile or drag a sled through the dirt with a $40,000.00 truck.
To say that his mood doesn't change very much is telling me "every and anybody" is a loser trying to steal from DC if they have a gauge pack installed on there truck.
I'm glad I don't live in his area, if I did.........I'd drive to the next state to buy my vehicles.

To hang in these forums and lurk around reading about guys chipping there trucks then jumping in and droping his...."I'm sick of this" speech is proof alone to me he has a serious hard on for anybody that wants to do "ANYTHING" to the Dodge truck other than drive it and make the payment.

Get real Luke S, we are not all out to get in "Your" pocket.
Joe
Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JuzPlaneKrazy
I have all the same reasons as Hvytrkmech to have a Commander gauge package. Now while I fully understand Luke S's reasoning for being ****** about guys bombing there trucks, then removing the chip and claiming there trucks are broke under warranty is flat plane and simple.... stealing and dishonest.
What I don't like about Mr. Luke S's tone is that anybody that pulls in his shop with a gauge pack, be it Commander what ever is suspect.

If you drive up and down the highways with a 12K to 15K trailer behind you, you want all the info you can get coming out of those gauges, I also run a Doran tire pressure system that monitors every tire under me. Is that truly needed.....No, BUT it's a hell of a lot better than not having it.
No it's not fair for a few bad apples to upset the barrel.
But I'd like to think when I go into "My" dealer, and he see's my Commander hanging on the pillar, he'll give me the benefit of doubt, and ask me like a man if I have chipped the truck at any time and expect a honest answer, and not be on the defense thinking I run the quarter mile or drag a sled through the dirt with a $40,000.00 truck.
To say that his mood doesn't change very much is telling me "every and anybody" is a loser trying to steal from DC if they have a gauge pack installed on there truck.
I'm glad I don't live in his area, if I did.........I'd drive to the next state to buy my vehicles.

To hang in these forums and lurk around reading about guys chipping there trucks then jumping in and droping his...."I'm sick of this" speech is proof alone to me he has a serious hard on for anybody that wants to do "ANYTHING" to the Dodge truck other than drive it and make the payment.

Get real Luke S, we are not all out to get in "Your" pocket.
Joe

Wow, I did not mean to get anybody that upset.

First off, I don't "lurk" around here as you stated looking to jump down peoples throats about modding trucks. My post count will tell you I am not a "lurker".

Second, my dealership is VERY easy going when it comes to mods, all though we shouldn't be, truthfully, I can't recall having ever told someone "NO, we are not going to warranty your truck", but I feel the day may be coming soon as people are getting more reckless by the day. In my defense, I can honestly say that every truck that has ever come into our shop with gauges has been moded, sometimes highly moded in other ways. I have never seen a truck in our service dept that had gauges and no chip. Most people that leave there trucks at stock levels have no need for gauges, and that is the majority of my customers, but the other category is steadily growing.

You can think whatever you want about myself and my dealership, that is fine with me, but in the future you may want to think twice about commenting on where you would or would not go for service without ever having dealt with them. I know all you guys are convinced yourselves that you are right and that is fine, you are only making it harder on yourselves. When one of my techs has to call star hotline for parts and they ask him, "does this truck have a chip or programmer? Does it have gauges? Does it have an oiled air filter or has the factory air box been removed?", I am going to tell my employee to tell the truth, and if that bothers you than that is your problem.

I am done now, flame on...........
Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Hold up a minute here. I am just about sick and darn tired of us dealers getting such a name because of stuff like this. I don't know the details of the exact repair the original poster had done, but if they had to remove a bunch of stuff he put on the truck to do warranty work, and they only get paid a certain amount of labor from DC to do the said job, and it takes them more time because of something he did, why shouldn't they charge him? Should they work for free? Would you?

And unrelated to the original post, I don't think you guys have any idea of the hard time us dealers have trying to be the middle man between you and DC. The amount of people out there modifying their trucks waaaayyyy beyond factory specs and trying to collect warranty is out of control. And before somebody waves Magnusson-Moss in my face, let me say I have read the entire Magnusson-Moss act and I can't find anywhere it says a customer can go out and modify the operating specs far beyond what the factory designed it to do and still have warranty. I can find a tie in sales clause that states a manufacturer can not deny warranty if a customer does not use O.E.M. maintnence parts but I can find nothing where it says you can modify your truck to 500hp and still have a leg to stand on. I have had just about enough of this stuff. You guys come on an complain about the price of vehicles and parts. If you knew how many dollars of warranty work DC was defrauded out of at my dealership alone in a years time by the customers you might understand why they have to charge what they do. They gotta make it up somewhere. This is out of control. I have 5 diesel pick-ups sitting in service row right now and 4 of them are have chips and intakes on them.
Not lurking.........

I'm just tired of seeing people mod stuff and tear it up and then come complain to me about it. I understand there may be a few guys who mod stuff and still take it easy on the truck, but come on guys lets get real. The majority of the guys bombing these trucks are running the you know what out of them. At least the ones who come to my dealership. And these guys say, oh I got a travel trailer I need more power to pull it twice a year. That don't fly with me so much. I pull a 48' three car hauler and have and have always run bone stock trucks and can run fast enough to get a speeding ticket.
Not closeing your eye's that there mite just be guys out there that really do want to "FULLY" monitor there $40,000 investment.

First you have to understand that about 98% of the people who come in our door with any gauges are pretty serious bombers and are pushing their trucks to the extreme. Most of them young men under the age of 25 who run the trucks harder than most. Most of these young men are pretty abusive to their trucks and a good many of them also have some pretty big attitudes. After you have these types of customers coming in and giving you trouble year after year you start to have a little bit of disgust with anyone who falls into the bomber category.

Second. If your truck is stock, I personally see no reason to have to monitor your turbo. We leave all our trucks stock and tow a 48' three car hauler and have never had premature turbo failure due to high EGT's. So from our stand point it is hard to believe someone when they come in with a full set of gauges that isn't modded all to heck otherwise.
And a tad more of your ranting about us 98%

I'm sorry to be coming off so harsh Mr. Luke S. (not that you care) But you hit a cord with me. And I truly fill you alienated the real majority of Dodge truck owners by your statements.
You are absolutly wrong in saying any other gauges then the stock ones are a waste. And a reason to suspect a man of stealing from DC or any other dealer.
Joe A.

Quick Reply: Warranty ??