3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning! Signal Multi switch malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2006 with the same problems. If I switch it back and forth between left and right a few times it cleared up enough to get home, I was pulling a 14k trailer and it was not good. The headlights also blinked a few times. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. I am glad to hear it is not just me.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM

My 06 started doing the same thing today. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM

This failing mutli function switch is very dangerous. I think the mods should make it a sticky with a link to the NHTSA, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Meanwhile anyone having this problem should report it via the link above.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM

I had a 2006 1500 before trading for the big boy (2007 3500), both trucks had a problem of not switching the signal off. If the left is on, you have to switch it to the right and back to center several times before it stays off. And vice versa. Annoying as hell!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Utundra
This failing mutli function switch is very dangerous. I think the mods should make it a sticky with a link to the NHTSA, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Meanwhile anyone having this problem should report it via the link above.

Good link to keep in mind. BTW, they do already have an open investigation on going:

NHTSA Action Number: PE08059
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: N/A
Make: DODGE Model: RAM 3500
Manufacturer : CHRYSLER LLC
Year : 2006
Component :
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL:SWITCH

Date Investigation Opened : October 7, 2008
Date Investigation Closed : Open
THE AGENCY HAS RECEIVED THREE REPORTS OF IMPROPER TURN SIGNAL FUNCTION. THE COMPLAINANTS REPORT THAT MOVING THE TURN SIGNAL STALK TO SIGNAL A LEFT TURN CAN RESULT IN NO FLASHING OF THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL BUT IMPROPER FLASHING OF THE RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. LIKEWISE THE SAME OPPOSITE IMPROPER OPERATION OCCURS WHEN MOVING THE TURN SIGNAL STALK TO SIGNAL A RIGHT TURN. THE INCORRECT FLASHING SIGNAL APPEARS AT BOTH THE DASHBOARD INDICATOR LIGHT AND AT THE EXTERIOR FRONT AND REAR TURN SIGNAL LIGHTING POSITIONS.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by slorocco
Good link to keep in mind. BTW, they do already have an open investigation on going:

NHTSA Action Number: PE08059
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: N/A
Make: DODGE Model: RAM 3500
Manufacturer : CHRYSLER LLC
Year : 2006
Component :
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL:SWITCH

Date Investigation Opened : October 7, 2008
Date Investigation Closed : Open
THE AGENCY HAS RECEIVED THREE REPORTS OF IMPROPER TURN SIGNAL FUNCTION. THE COMPLAINANTS REPORT THAT MOVING THE TURN SIGNAL STALK TO SIGNAL A LEFT TURN CAN RESULT IN NO FLASHING OF THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL BUT IMPROPER FLASHING OF THE RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. LIKEWISE THE SAME OPPOSITE IMPROPER OPERATION OCCURS WHEN MOVING THE TURN SIGNAL STALK TO SIGNAL A RIGHT TURN. THE INCORRECT FLASHING SIGNAL APPEARS AT BOTH THE DASHBOARD INDICATOR LIGHT AND AT THE EXTERIOR FRONT AND REAR TURN SIGNAL LIGHTING POSITIONS.
Cool, probably the more reports the more likely something like a permanent fix (recall) will get done.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Wow! Glad I found this thread! My truck just started doing this. I delayed coming home from ID and took it to a dealer there to get fixed, and they couldn't find anything wrong!! Did manage to get speeding tickets both on the way to and home from the dealer, though, so that helped a lot!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Dealer had to order parts, so not sure when mine will get back in. The signals have been working fine since then though.

Speeding tickets both ways... thats
Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM

I am now out of warranty, but I reported this happening when my truck had 2300 miles on it. They couldn't get the turn signal to do it again. Now, the turn signals do it everyday and I am out of warranty. The dealership wont fix it and the want a hundred bones. WHAT!!!! A hundred for what. That is crazy
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Mines doing good for now, but if it goes bad again, I'll have to use my after market waranty.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
I am now out of warranty, but I reported this happening when my truck had 2300 miles on it. They couldn't get the turn signal to do it again. Now, the turn signals do it everyday and I am out of warranty. The dealership wont fix it and the want a hundred bones. WHAT!!!! A hundred for what. That is crazy
I'd use the link above and report it. The more folks that have the problem the more likely it will either end up as a recall or a TSB. If the NHTSA sees it as a significant safety problem it's likely to end up as a recall. Then you get it fixed for free.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Hey guys,
I just had mine replaced yesterday. I nearly got hit from behind when I put my L turn signal on an the R started flashing.
Dealer said 1st time he saw the problem...
Topper
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Hadnt heard from the dealer so i called them back yesterday. They said my parts were in and i shoulda got a call back already. So made the appointment and took the truck in. 45 minutes later they tell me they ordered the wrong parts so I gotta start the waiting game again,
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Just had this happen on mine today. This could get dangerous if you happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
sam

Turn signals failed

Well this has been intermittently happening to my truck before the warranty was up, but didn't take to the dealer. Now at 40K miles it has stopped working altogether. Filed a complaint with NHTSA link in a previous message. Anybody know where I can get the part other than the dealer or if any recalls have been issued?

Quick Reply: Warning! Signal Multi switch malfunction