3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning! Signal Multi switch malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 04 has done this but not recently bang on the steering column a few times and all is well
Old 07-28-2008, 04:14 AM

I'm usually the first one to bang stuff to make it work properly (DVD Players, washing machines, computers at work, the list goes on) but I think I might just get a new switch in this instance
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM

I just had my 3rd multifuntion switched installed and have 30K miles on mine. Both times it was the wipers that went wacky. Annoying, but not as dangerous as yours.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM

I've had my left turn signal not work, along with my headlights would not come on just one time. Definitely not as dangerous as your situation though. People just thought I was a jerk who would not signal and only ran my foglights in the dark. A concern for sure.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Well I'm happy to say the complaint I submitted is being investigated. They contacted me yesterday and clarified a few details. Hopefully this is the start of the awareness before someone is wiped out because of this.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Thank you for filling them issue...I wish more people would do this so that these issues would be documented and investigated. The only way to have a mandatory recall issued is to have enough people complain about issues that could be safety related.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GOLD GUS
Put some dielectric grease on it and its worked fine for a couple months now. Hope its that simple.
I have also done this and it's been working fine since. I'll be sure to update this thread if it stops again.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My second switch is about to crap, sometimes on the road putting the brites on will kill the lights completely and i get a lamp out, then after flicking it it works fine. Sometimes it won't let my wipers turn on unless I put them on full blast first, and then after that it even cuts off as i switch it. But no blinker problems like that thank God!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Mine is doing the same thing! I actually pulled my truck in front of glass building where I could see the reflection. I turned on my left blinker and it would go tick tick and then right blinker would come on at the same time (as if the hazards were on).

I CALLED THE DEALER AND REPORTED THIS TO THEM AND THEY SAID NO COMPLAINTS OF THIS AND NO RECALL. IF I WERE TO TAKE MY TRUCK IN AND HAVE THEM CHANGE THE SWITCH IT WOULD BE $150.00!! (PART AND LABOR)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM

My turn signals have been acting up when the weather gets cool or humid, so after reading the posts about the dielectric grease, I thought that would help. I applied the grease, then I tried to duplicate the problem before I put it all back together. I could wiggle the turn signal stalk or the electrical connector and I would still have the problem (left would blink right, and erratic right signal)

I ended up putting a couple zip ties around the connector to hold everything solid, and now I can't duplicate the problem. Hope it lasts, and hope it helps someone.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM

My 04.5 did it at 95,000 miles. Very dangerous indeed. Mine started to mess up every now and then for a couple of weeks prior to just complete failure one day. Easy enough swap to fix. Hopefully my 06 won't do it for awhile.

Bill
Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Got to love these boards, I'm traveling pulling a 38 fifth wheel. On my way from Florida To Alabma I turned on my right turn signel and when the switch returned to the off position the light continued to flash. I was thinking that I had not put in in the off position. when I pushed it down to it went into the left signal position and both right and left signals flashed. I returned the switch to the off position and the lights stopped flashing. Next time I tried to signal a turn no lights!. Then they started working again then they started flashing in the opset direction that I wanted to go!. I'll tell you that pulling 38 feet behind you and having the wrong signal or no signal at all is not good to say the least. I will take the truck to the dealer when I return to Florida but I'm not looking forward to a trip back not knowing if I'll have lights or not.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM

This morning I was driving to the west side of Des Moines and had the left turn on and the right one was blinking. Then it worked properly on the way back. I couldn't duplicate the problem. Then on the way home from work it started with the turn signals then the wipers didn't work and it was raining hard and the dimmer switch wasn't working. I'm still under warrenty so I'll take it to the dealer later this week. I'll have to drive other car til then. This is very upsetting. I'll let them replace it til I have to pay for it then I'll fix it right. Thanks for the great advice. Nice to see I'm not the only one with the problem.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM

How hard is it to change the multiswitch on a '06 yourself? Can I save $150 or is it not worth the hassle?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elk_Hunter
How hard is it to change the multiswitch on a '06 yourself? Can I save $150 or is it not worth the hassle?
It's real easy and you can get it from Dodgeparts.com for around $40.00. Here's a thread explaining it in detail. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=167019

Mike

Quick Reply: Warning! Signal Multi switch malfunction