3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Want to get an 06' QC but need to get GM to buy my Yukon back...HOW?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to get an 06' QC but need to get GM to buy my Yukon back...HOW?...

Dont get me wrong, I'm still a die hard GM fan. I like my Yukon but I also love the Cummins motor. My Yukon has been great I guess, I've put 10,000 miles on it in the 3 months I've owned it and never had a problem.

The negitive is maybe its me getting older, but I just dont trust it. It was supposted to have 3.42 gears yet its got 3.73's. I really wanted 3.42's for milage, thats why I hunted around till I found this one. Dont get me wrong, 3.73's arent that bad. The odd thing is 3.73's aren't even an option. You can only get 3.42 or 4.10 in the Yukon XL. So this must mean they took no care in building it, they just threw in what ever they had laying around. That makes me question its safety. I know I could just trade it in and loose a few grand, but I think they really messed up in the build. Could my fears of its long term safety warrant a GM buy back? I REFUSE to have spent $44K on a rig and let them rebuild my front and rear axles. Not to mention the extra money I've spent on gas over the last 10K miles.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Before anyone asks how I know its got 3.73's, I counted the teeth. 41 on the ring and 11 on the pinion. The pinion should have 12 teeth for a 3.42 ratio.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 PM

here is the XL page..

is it a 3/4 or 1/2 ton??

Looks like 3/4 ton only has 273 or 410...

http://www.gmc.com/yukon/specsEngine.jsp?vehicle=xl
Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

I would like to know how u got ur mileage on the Yukon. Because I appears as though it is a lot better than most of us with the CTD.

See your sig in first post 21.5 hwy and 17.5 hauling
Old 04-07-2006, 02:25 PM

I would like to know how u got ur mileage on the Yukon. Because I appears as though it is a lot better than most of us with the CTD
The GM gassers (except the 6.0 apparently) get great milagae and hve plenty of power, I would expect those MPG numbers. However if you put some real weight behind it things change a bit, particularly on hills. And the diesel will usually last quite a bit longer without a rebuild.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by PThree
I would like to know how u got ur mileage on the Yukon. Because I appears as though it is a lot better than most of us with the CTD.

I got 18mpg hwy stock. With the K&N FIPK, magnaflow exhaust, and especialy HPTuners. The tune was really important for power and milage.

About the difference with a heavy load, I think up to 9500lbs it will do just fine and get better milage than a diesel doing it. It just wouldnt last all that long with constant heavy work.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
here is the XL page..

is it a 3/4 or 1/2 ton??

Looks like 3/4 ton only has 273 or 410...

http://www.gmc.com/yukon/specsEngine.jsp?vehicle=xl
where do you see 3/4 ton with a 2.73? Mine is a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 AM

click on the little thing that says transmission and axles and it will expand..... you can also click on the model at the top..

Looks like for the 1/2 ton it should be a 342... unless you have the Denali..
Old 04-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PThree

Me too. My hunting buddy has a 2004 Yukon 4x4 with 3.73's and can barely get 10mpg pulling a trailer with two ATVs on board.

MikeyB
Old 04-08-2006, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned many GM's including 4x4 Suburbans.

Two with 3.42 gears.
One with 3.73 gears
One 2WD with 4.10's and carbed.

There was no real mileage difference between the 3.73 and 3.42. The 3.42 did about 1 mpg better on the highway and the 3.73 certainly towed MUCH better. The 3.73 seem to have better city mileage.

I'd say you have ZERO chance of a buy back.

Check the GM forums.Those guys want the 3.73 gearset and not the 3.42.

I say buy a Cummins off Ebay and put it in the Yukon.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a 95 tahoe 4dr. It had a new motor,radio,brake sensors, window motors,power seat. All in the 1st year, the best they would do, is my dealer took it on a trade, for a new 97.Seemed like a good deal at the time, but in hind sight, I got raped.You will not get rid of your Yukon on a buy back for your reasons.It took what seemed an act of congress to get them do anything for me.All I ever got was "We are working within the perameters of our warrenty" Funny I never forgot that statement,I guess I heard it alot.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 AM

My issue is not with something breaking or wearing out, its with an unsafe build. There is a big difference is I have parts in my Yukon that are not even an option, they are not ever supposed to be there. It took a HUGE screw up for them to somehow find there way in. How do I know the rest of the thing has the parts its supposed to? I am sure I could have the dealer replace the gears but I refuse to have a $44K vehicle with rebuilt axles by a dealer that screws up installing windshield wipers.

I should have bought the QC 4x4 Cummins to begin with. It was only going to be $35K out the door.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:51 AM

I think you are being a little ****? Just buck up and trade if you thin you really need a diesel, if it is just a want and not a need, keep what you have.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
I think you are being a little ****? Just buck up and trade if you thin you really need a diesel, if it is just a want and not a need, keep what you have.
Yea I know I'm being a little ****. I dont need a diesel, I just like them. I admit a big part is just disapointment in GM for making such a mistake. I just dont trust the slacking going on. All else aside, I still spent ALOT of money and didnt get what I paid for. It doesnt really matter if they are nice gears or not.

I guess I'll make an apointment with the dealer again so I can get it in writing and call GM. We'll see how it goes. Media works wonders.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
Could my fears of its long term safety warrant a GM buy back?
No.

This is not a safety issue and it is easily fixable.

You haven't even considered that it is an honest mistake. How could you assume that the person that installed the R&P had any impact on the assembly of the rest of the vehicle? And even though they installed the wrong R&P, I am assuming they did a quality install and that it is not causing you any problems mechanically.

Good luck with your media blitz. I don't often take a stance like this, but what you are trying to do seems frivolous IMO.

Quick Reply: Want to get an 06' QC but need to get GM to buy my Yukon back...HOW?...