3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

VERY loud A/C when recirculating...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY loud A/C when recirculating...

As it warms up, I'm finding opportunities to use the air conditioning on my new (in January) 2006 3500. The A/C air gets cold enough, but when I switch it to recirculate it is INCREDIBLY loud. It's actually hard to carry on a conversation. The air volume goes up, just like all other recirc's I've used, but the wind noise (which seems to be coming from the intake in the passenger footwell) is unbelievable. It's loud enough that I doubt I'd ever use it on recirc no matter how hot it gets.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal for the 2006's?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that too!

I have turned off the recirc & when drawing air in from the outside, it's quieter.

I'm wondering if they undersized the recirc opening in the passenger's footwell?

Tony
Old 04-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Recirc is almost always louder - has been in every vehicle I've ever been in. If it was just a little louder I wouldn't have commented, but this is incredibly loud. Far, far beyond any other recirc noise I've ever heard. I just want to know if others have noticed that it's "louder than other recirc's" or if I should have the dealer check it out.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:49 PM

I thought the same thing when I first used my AC on the new 06. It is significantly louder than the 05 I traded in; and the air is not nearly as cold. I live in Phoenix and I have a feeling it is going to be a looooong summer. I am thinking about taking it to the ******* to have them check the system out. The driver side middle vent blows ok, but the passenger side middle vent seems to blow air that is quite a bit warmer, and the outside vents are pretty much worthless. This is one area I think Ford wins, hands down. Best A/C I have had was in 2 previous Fords.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Ditto Here

I have a 2006 mega cab and I think there are issues as well, see my post on Mega Cab A/C. I have the same issues with it that you guys do. It seems like it makes alot of noise but barely moves any air. Its not so much a temp thing but an air movement thing.

I too came from 2 Fords previosly and YES the HVAC in those kicks a**! I barely had to go to #2 on the fan and was freezing.

Also in Phoenix area, and am very worried about the summer. Already had my windows blacked out and also the windshield slightly tinted. Hope that helps too.

Brady
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Likewise, I am in Phoenix.

I was a little concerned about the temp, but I think it's blowing enough air and cool enough. I just don't care for the noise, on top of the motor, the road noise, and the radio..... not that the motor is too loud; i think the motor is quieter than the V8 diesels.

Tony
Old 04-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Noise and restricted airflow would indicate an undersizing somewhere. What does the intake plenum look like? Can you remove or enlarge anything to allow more air in when on recirc? Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Noise Insulated Recirc Door

I had the wonderful opportunity to R/R the Recirc door in my '03 back in December.

When in the Fresh Air mode, the door moves up to block the in-cab intake. The door is hard plastic with foam covering all of both sides, not just the 'sealing area'. With the door in the Fresh Air mode, against the in-cab intake, it blocks the noise of the fan's intake (the common intake, where the air from either the cab or fresh air passes).

When the door is in the Recirc mode, it is up against the outside air intake. All that noise insulation you had in Fresh Air mode is no longer working for ya.

BTW, the signs and symptoms of a broken Recirc door in an '03 is ~90% loss of air flow in any configuration although you can make the fan go faster or slower. The reason for this is the door breaks off and falls over the common intake and blocks most of it. Almost a full day to R/R the $40 door. It broke again a few weeks ago. Only took 4 minutes to remove it and I have not seen the need to replace it yet.