3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vent Tank Recall - DIY Mod w Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 2 barbed fittings on each end of the tank. If you look at post #57. You can see the rollover valve that is on the rear of the tank just above the filler neck in the picture. They are on the tank from the factory. There is also one on the lowest part of the tank (front). In those areas of the tank, there is nothing else there. The rollover valves are in a concave area. That is the reason for adding the fuel line, so that water won't enter the valve since it sits in the depression.

On an 07, those rollover valves should already have a hose on them that hangs to the side. You can pull that off and attach your own setup. A lot of guys ran the lines toward the center, tee'd the lines then ran them down to a fuel filter and secured them. They are using a filter to keep contaminates out of the line and allow air to flow through the check valves as they are open under normal driving conditions.

As far as the filter goes, there were a lot of different ones being used as I recall. Just make sure the filter fits the fuel line you use. I think most guys ran the tee'd line down next to the tank, that way water and contaminates can't go up the line.

I will also tell you it is tough to do this with the tank installed. There is very little room between the tank, bed, and frame to work.

If you happen to end up in inverted while driving, this is a moot point. The valves will close, however, you probably have other issues to deal with at that point.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Sorry about digging up an old post, but it's a good reminder for people to check this. My '07, built in 12/06, didn't have anything but the bare barbs. Like others have said, there isn't a lot of room to work, but I was able to do it by just getting under the truck on a creeper. I didn't tee the two vents together, I used separate lines and filters. I figured if it somehow got plugged, I wouldn't be cutting off both vents. I also used clear vinyl hose instead of fuel line so I could see if any crud was in the line. One thing that helped was to heat the end of the hose with a hair dryer to soften it up and LIGHTLY coat the inside of the end with oil. It made putting them on much easier.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM

They have been leaving them bare since 03! Chezz
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not tryin to beat a dead horse or anything but was this recall in Canada also? I've never heard of it..................but you can bet i'll be headin out to look at it first thing tomoro afternoon when i get a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!