3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vent Tank Recall - DIY Mod w Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate this write up too and have linked this thread back to some other threads.

I did this mod at the same time I put in the Vent Tank Mod. I figured since the fuel can now be pumped up and into the filler neck, I better raise this line high too. So I zip tied it up on the actual filler neck with the hose looped up above and pointing back down with the filter.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adamkn -

Your all welcome!

I don't think their would be any restriction problems. The actual "venting" is very, very minimal. Anything compared to the factory fix is better. All they did was stick a rubber hose and shoved it on top of the tank. How does this STOP dirt and water from getting in? It doesn't!

I would rather have a fuel filter and the setup I showed, then the factory NO hose (open) or the 4" hose shoved on top "fix".

I don't see the need for the fuel pump needing a large volume of air to help it pump. I have yet to hear of a problem after installing the fuel filter and hose setup that I posted and numerous members use. I have hear of NUMEROUS problems of people who left it "as is". Dirt and water getting into the tank does A LOT of damage!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
adamkn -

Your all welcome!

I don't think their would be any restriction problems. The actual "venting" is very, very minimal. Anything compared to the factory fix is better. All they did was stick a rubber hose and shoved it on top of the tank. How does this STOP dirt and water from getting in? It doesn't!

I would rather have a fuel filter and the setup I showed, then the factory NO hose (open) or the 4" hose shoved on top "fix".

I don't see the need for the fuel pump needing a large volume of air to help it pump. I have yet to hear of a problem after installing the fuel filter and hose setup that I posted and numerous members use. I have hear of NUMEROUS problems of people who left it "as is". Dirt and water getting into the tank does A LOT of damage!
Yeah I agree, even if a minor vacuum develops, it's probably still better than letting crud in. On a couple occasions, I've opened my fuel tank cap right after shutting down to listen for any air getting sucked in (which I think would be the result if there was any vacuum) - and I haven't heard any hissing, so i guess it's alright.

Part of the reason for my initial concern is that my engine started vibrating a little more than usual at idle, and it made me think something was up - such as not getting enough fuel. This happened a day or two after I added the hoses. But it completely went away the next day, so Im not sure what was up.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM

What is the TSB number for this? What is the easy way to tell if my truck has this done from the factory?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Honestly, you will have to crawl under the truck and see if the vent hoses are there. See POST#1 for more information...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

FWIW mine was built in 6/06 and had the factory "fix". Unbelievable that they think a 9" piece of hose would stop dirt/water/crud from getting in the tank.

I stuck a cheapo fuel filter on each of the factory hoses and called it a day.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM

im confused, how does crude get in the tank in the first place?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
im confused, how does crude get in the tank in the first place?
Crud, not crude.

It get's in there the same way water and dirt do...though the lovely open vents from the factory.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM

oh and they add hoses to cover the openings?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
oh and they add hoses to cover the openings?
Yes, they add a 6"-9" piece of hose to the vent opening. The problem is that just delays the contaminants from entering the tank. Putting a fuel filter on the ends allows it to still breathe while keeping all the bad stuff out.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM

you guys i am being really ignorant trying to understand this lol.

where do these vent hoses connect to? no where? are they just hanging off the tank or the filler neck? i am gonng crawl under there tomorrow evening and see if i cant figure it out!

maybe someone can post some better pics? i cant really make out those first two pics what i am looking at.

sorry for all my stuipd questions!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
see one here:

Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 PM

im gonna add the extra filters to the "factory fix" what kind of fuel filters should i get from oreilly?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get an el cheapo. It doesn't really matter what you get, the point is to keep anything from getting in it....and to still allow it to vent.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Ok, I just want to make sure this can be done on an 07, and also that I understand this before attempting it and screwing up, I will post my questions in red font below with the step they apply to , and any further question's at the end of the quote on the bottom. Thanks

Originally Posted by pet05
Here is the part you will need:

6'-7' of Fuel Line Hose (1/4" in size)
Brass Barbed "T" (1/4")
Fuel Filter Canister (5/16" inlet/outlet size) Auto Zone/Napa
2' Of 5/16" Fuel Line Hose
2 Self-Locking Hose Clamps

Simply Install the 1/4" fuel line hoses to the vent tank barbed nipples and connect them with the barbed "T".
Are the vent tank barbed nipples already on the fuel tank from the factory, if so where are they located,and are any other hoses or nipples near them that I can confuse for them? a picture of them would be great if possible.

Then run 1/4" hose to the fuel filter. I am assuming the small silver keg like filter in the picture is the one you used, If I was just to go to an auto parts store and show them the picture of your filter they should be smart enough to know what I need, or if someone can give me a specific filter that will work. Now use the 5/16" hose from the fuel filter and run the line to the hole in the frame rail. Like this, it will prevent WATER or other debris from entering the line. Also, as seen in the picture, RAISE the line going from the fuel filter to the "T". If (most likely NEVER) water would get in, it would make it harder for it too climb up the hose.

Also, as seen in the picture, I tucked the 5/16" line hose in the bracket that was already there. MAKE SURE the bracket does NOT have any sharp sides to it. I checked mine and it was OK. If it is sharp, it may cut the fuel hose, not a big deal but it is better to have the fuel line hose running INTO the frame rail where it is less likely to pick-up water or debris.

1000x better than the factory "recall" fix...

Sorry for the dumb question's, I just want to be sure before I do this. If some one can maybe post a few pictures with labels that would be great and clear up any confusion I might still have, But I think I get most of it accept for what I asked above. Thanks again for the help. Kris

Quick Reply: Vent Tank Recall - DIY Mod w Pics