3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vent Tank Recall - DIY Mod w Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 PM
wrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 mega cab dually june build no recall notice also
Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 PM

I was in the dealer a while back picking up new front wheel simulators for my dually and aked about the TSB on the tank's fuel vents and was told that was just for the 06's. I asked dont the 03's up have the same tank and are at risk for the same problem with getting trash in the tank? They shook there head and again said Dodge is saying only for the 06's. I asked if they thought this might be the cause of contaminated fuel trashing the lift pumps and some injectors? They said they did'nt know and could only do what Dodge told them. I felt like I was talking to sheep. I did like MickyB did and spent about 10 bucks on 1/4 fuel line and two small fuel filters and ran the two loose ends into the frame rail,took about ten minutes. I spent more time talking with the sheep.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:37 AM

Okay so I don't see anything on where you use the 2 hose clamps? I see a lot of connections to be made, but only 2 clamps? I assume they attach the hose to the barbs on top of the tank, while all other connections are slip fit only, but please clarify where these go. I ideally would like all connections clamped, unless it is too tight in there to do so.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the hose clamps on the filters since they are hanging down. Didn't see the need to put clamps on the vent barbs. Tight fit with 1/4" fuel line hose.
I tie wrap the lines up to the bed crossmember.

MikeyB
Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 AM

I just had a look what the dealer did as part of the recall, they just put a 12" - 18" hose on the vents and stuffed the end between the take and the skid plate thing, sisn't even use a zap strap to hold it in place or anything. I'll hafta extend them up somewhere...

Not sure about the gas filter though, lets say you do get water in the line, into the filter, if it's full of water wouldn't it stop the venting?
... unless you run the end up high (like up by the fuel filler hose) and put a breather on the hose like you have on the ones for your diff...¿
Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the filters mounted at the end of the hose. The open end of the filters are pointed down.

MikeyB
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM

recall issue

i took my 06 2500 ctd w/ 18000 miles to the dealer because it was running ruogh. they told me that i had contaminated fuel that had rusted my injectors to the point they were all bad and it wasnt covered under warrenty. i had the recall fixed in september but was wondering if the vent hose issue could have allowed the water that is in my fuel. if so wouldnt this be their fault instead of mine? any help on how to handle this issue would be greatly appreciated. they are telling me $4000 to fix. thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
there are a LOT of stock injectors laying around, i would start calling local perf diesel shops & find a used set.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Did the water in fuel light come on? Dosen't it set a code if it has and no action taken? Did you get a sample of the fuel with water in it? Had you had the fuel filter serviced by at least whats is stated in the owners manual? Lots of questions need to be addressed first.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did they replace the filter when they did the recall? The reason I ask is that is part of the inspection to drain the fuel into a clean jar and look for water when the recall was performed. If over so much water was found then they replaced the filter also. So, if they replaced the fuel filter then they found water meaning not your problem. It should be a warranty claim. I don't have a link to the TSB on this computer but someone else may. I can post it tomorrow if not.

Hope you still have the reciepe from the recall. It should state on it if they replaced the filter.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM

If you have a fass system is it still all the same mod?

Kevin
Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by wildturkey
i took my 06 2500 ctd w/ 18000 miles to the dealer because it was running ruogh. they told me that i had contaminated fuel that had rusted my injectors to the point they were all bad and it wasnt covered under warrenty. i had the recall fixed in september but was wondering if the vent hose issue could have allowed the water that is in my fuel. if so wouldnt this be their fault instead of mine? any help on how to handle this issue would be greatly appreciated. they are telling me $4000 to fix. thanks
If that truck never threw out a code telling you you had water in your fuel, then how would you know? I can't beleive they want 4k to fix a 2006 truck with 18000 miles on it that is supposed to have 100k miles of warranty. That is plain old BS and I would be calling a lawer ASAP.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM
wrm

I Dont Understand Why A 06 With Less Than 36,000 Is Not Covered Under Warrenty,there Could Have Been Water In The Tank When You Bought It,they Cant Tell Where Or When The Water Got In The Tank .how Many Miles On The Truck When You Bought It ,how Long Did It Sit On The Lot Before You Got It Collecting Condensation In The Tank.and If You Really Want To Rust Injectors Let Some Lot Boy Put Some Gas In Instead Of Diesel.man This Kind Of Treatment From Dealers !!!!!!!!!! Me Off. Ask Them Why They Had The Vent Recall To Fix It So ??????? Could Not Get In The Fuel Tank.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by pet05
Yes, the 1/4" line will fit over the 5/16" fuel inlet line. The reason I went with the larger size was to get the volume needed since you are connecting TWO 1/4" lines into one.
Hey thanks for posting the write-up on this. I just did the installation a couple weeks ago.

I started wondering about something though. These fuel lines, the brass T, and the in-line fuel filter will all contribute to increasing the resistance to air flowing in/out the vents. Whatever the reduced flow rate is - I'm curious how it compares to the rate at which the lift pump sucks fuel out of the tank?

If there is too much of a restriction on the air flow into the tank, it seems to me that it'll make it more difficult for the fuel pump to do it's job....possibly reducing the fuel pressure to the CP3.

Does anyone have a stock lift pump and a fuel pressure gauge to see if this mod really makes any difference to fuel pressure? I suspect that it may take several minutes with the engine running before you'd notice any difference. The air pressure in the tank would be normal when the truck is started, but then a vacuum within the tank would develop. The question is just how substantial that vacuum is....it may not be enough to cause any problem, but I can't tell for sure without a gauge.

I opted against using an in-line fuel filter on the vent line, to lessen the air flow restriction. But now I'm thinking about removing the 1/4" brass T (the air-flow bottleneck), and just keeping the 2 vent lines seperate from each other. This would greatly reduce the air flow resistance.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
Here is the part you will need:
Good write up - Thanks!

Quick Reply: Vent Tank Recall - DIY Mod w Pics