3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Valve extensions caused flat

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve extensions caused flat

Sunday morning I back my truck up to my trailer to head out to the track. I look down and see that the passenger side outside dual wheel is flat. I pull the wheel cover and put air in the tire. I air it to 80 psi and I hear or see no leaks. All of the rear wheels had small plastic valve extensions from from the factory. They look pretty cheesy to me. I left the extension off, grabbed my air tank and headed to NTB.

When I get there, the tire still had 80psi. The guy removed the wheel and put it in the water tub and we could find no leaks. I then thought and said wait just a second, lets try one more thing. I got the valve extension and put it on the wheel. We put it under water and that is where the leak was. We removed them from all 4 rear wheels and put regular valve caps on them. I have never been fond of those junky plastic extensions and I cant beleive the truck came with those on it.

Anyway, the truck is all finished and I get ready to pay. The guy says I don't have to pay anything because they didn't have to fix anything. I would have payed double to get a flat fixed on a sunday morning. I thanked them for their help. This is why I buy my tires here and I will continue to do so.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 PM

The same thing happen to me but I was not as lucky as you . It was on my motor home and it went flat well I was driving and I didn't feel it until it blew an tore a nice hole in the bottom of my rig . I had just put them on before I left so I could check tire pressure easer and checked it later and found it to be the cause . I had to change the tire on the four lane with trucks rocking the whole rig as they went bye . Try jacking up a motor home with the jack they supply , a real nightmare . My leveling jacks on the motor home took a dump the week before and the new motor did not come in before the trip so they were no help . My German Shepard (Joe) likes to lay right beside me while I am driving and the switch is right there and he hit it and we had a melt down , love that dog . A few thing that will never happen again , no more cheap valve stem extension , a good jack is now in the motor home and the switch got more protection from Joe .
Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Muted User

You can get extentions that you do not remove the core out of the rim. The valve stem and the extention both have cores so it can't leak.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Had the same thing with my daughter's Neon. Anything can get stuck in the valve's seat at any time, using anyone's product. Lesson: Visually check your tires every day. I park my truck at work backwards from the way I park it at home, forcing me to look at both sides of the truck at least once a day.