3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Under Dash Lights - LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Under Dash Lights - LEDs

I was thinking that my new '06 was lacking in light under the dash, especially when I am trying to find the cup holder in the dark, WITH the cup!

Since my truck is red I was thinking about putting a Red LED over the area of the drivers, and passengers floor area, and one over the center console. Then I want to put a green one in each of the four dark cubby holes in the dash. All seven of these would be on with the dash lights and controlled off the dimmer. Depending on the brightness of these I will put resistors in line if I need to dim them any.

Then I was thinking that I would go another set further and add a white LED over each floor area and the console so when the dome light is on so will these.

What do you all think? Have anyone done this and have pictures?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Wow no one huh?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red is an excellent color choice. That color is used in aircraft and allows you to see well in low level light. My first choice. You will not go wrong with red lighting.

I have a manual trans and there is a light under the consle but it is not very bright and the big shifter boot casts a shadow on the cupholder. Like you say..
Old 05-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by etn550
Red is an excellent color choice. That color is used in aircraft and allows you to see well in low level light. My first choice. You will not go wrong with red lighting.

I have a manual trans and there is a light under the consle but it is not very bright and the big shifter boot casts a shadow on the cupholder. Like you say..
I was thinking red because I know it does not dilate your eyes, so it should not work against me while driving in the dark, I am glad I was not too far out there.

So there IS a light that goes in that hole? My auto has a blank hole.

I will run the numbers to see what LEDs and resistors I need to get the correct voltage and light.