3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Uncomfortable Truck Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncomfortable Truck Seats

Over the last two years I have become unhappy with my truck’s cloth seats. I find them a bit uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this problem and what did they do to fix it? Are the Dodge Leather seats any better? Thank you for your help in advance.

John
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM

I was going to write the same letter and ask if the cloth seats were better then the leather ones because these leather ones need some help . On long drives I find myself sitting on anything I can find to get some relief . On short drives they seem ok but on anything over 3 hours my backside becomes sore . I just finished a 7 hour drive sitting on a sweatshirt to make it bearable . For what these seats cost me they are a sad disappointment . Some have added foam and reworked them and claimed improvement and I guess I will give that a try .
Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 PM

I spend enough time in my truck to justify new seats. The problem is that no one I can find stocks seats. I want to sit in them before purchasing. Everyone and their brother can order them for me.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed a set of Katzkin leather seats covers in my '96. The cloth seat just about had it at 185K. They are red, not my first choice but at $125, I'm not complaining. With my exterior being white and the origianl interior being light blue, the red leather was somewhat nauseating so I stained my door panels, seat belts, dash dark and ect, dark red. Looks pretty good now. I couldn't be happier with the comfort and even received unsolicated comments on how comfortable the seats were. They replace the original covers and were a B____ to install but well worth it.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:56 PM

The seats in my 2003 and 2005 are the worst seats I have ever had in a vehicle. My '05 even has a bracket pushing thru the foam and tearing the cloth on the lower right back area and a hard piece of velcro poking up thru the fabric under my left mid thigh area resulting in a hole about the size of a nickle. Also, the metal braces/brackets under both cheeks and legs make it feel like I am sitting on two steel beams. The dealer ordered new covers for me and claims that they will send it out to an upholstery shop to beef up the padding before putting new covers on. Just need to find a few days that I can part with the truck to let them fix it.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnny1509
The seats in my 2003 and 2005 are the worst seats I have ever had in a vehicle. My '05 even has a bracket pushing thru the foam and tearing the cloth on the lower right back area and a hard piece of velcro poking up thru the fabric under my left mid thigh area resulting in a hole about the size of a nickle. Also, the metal braces/brackets under both cheeks and legs make it feel like I am sitting on two steel beams. The dealer ordered new covers for me and claims that they will send it out to an upholstery shop to beef up the padding before putting new covers on. Just need to find a few days that I can part with the truck to let them fix it.
Yep. I agree. My 05 has the cloth power seats,they are miserable on a long haul,just no way to get comfortable. I'm thinking about trying to find an air-ride after market seat,maybe a Bostrom??
Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 AM

within the first week of owning the truck I have had indian blankets covering the front seats. (one blanket each) I poked the headrest through one end of the blanket and draped the rest over the seat. Works great and is a cheap fix. Easy in and out for cleaning too. I have had several comments on how neat it looks, the color matches the truck so people think they are custom seat covers. If you do this, make sure you wash them first so they shrink up and fit better. The ones I have shrunk to be the exact width of the seat. Unshrunk they had to be folded in half. Make sure you get the cheap ones at the flea market so they shrink up nice total cost $12
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 AM

I wonder if a set of seats from the older powerstrokes would fit in there. I had an 01 f-250 witht he 7.3, and those seats were NICE!!! Yall think they would fit? I have the black cloth, so I think a set of the grey leather ones would be sweet. I could do some electrical mods to get the power seat stuff to work on the ford seats with the dodge wires.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM

Funny, I was going to post how much worse Ford seats were! I rode in my friend's '99 F-350 on a couple long trips, and each time I swore I'd never ride in it for a trip longer than 100 miles ever again! They were hard as a park bench. The newer ones didn't seem to be any better. My father has an '06 F-150 he bought wrecked to repair, and the seats in it don't look like they are more than 1" thick! Just very flat, hard material that feels like a thin layer of padding over a fiberglass seat. My wife was interested in the truck until she saw the seats, then sitting in them confirmed her dislike. On the other hand, the seats in my '96 CTD are quite comfortable, and I also liked the ones in the '04 wrecked donor truck I pulled apart. I was able to drive the truck home, and I was comfortable on the 3.5 hour drive.

Jim
Old 07-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Please not that I was talking about a 2001 set of leather seats out of an F-250 Superduty. Those were very nice.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:52 AM

The bottom portion on the seats on my 96 are plenty comfortable but I find my back hurting more than my backside. I wish there was just a replacement top portion of the seat that had more lumbar "hugging" effect. Our Suburban will smash your kidneys with the lumbar airbags in the seat, feels like a racing seat, realy gets you set into it.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 AM

Geno's has a lumbar support that you can order.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:26 AM

I have premium cloth in the 05' slt and love them, there 100 times more comftrouble than my old 02' ferd. The leather seats in my 04' laramie suck. The bottom on the 05's seats seem longer and wider.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I am having the problem with something hittin my tail bone in the center back of the bottom seat in my 05. I was thinking about taking apart and beefing it up with foam but i am unsure if that will truely fix
Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genros
I am having the problem with something hittin my tail bone in the center back of the bottom seat in my 05. I was thinking about taking apart and beefing it up with foam but i am unsure if that will truely fix
How big are you?

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable Truck Seats