3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

uncomfortable drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 35xj
toto, i'd be really interested in that website. you can just type the website as you would type it into a browser and I can figure it out. thanks. drove mine for 8 hours yesterday and was pretty happy to get out!
Type OBUS FORM backrest into google.com, it will bring up alot of web sites to get more info on them.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:54 AM

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the drivers side seat with a Recaro seat that I have. It looks like a fairly easy bolt-in. The power base is bolted to the seat with 4 bolts and with a 3/16" thick aluminum T-6 plate bolted to the bottom of the seat, it shouldn't be too difficult. It just hasn't made it up to a big issue yet, for me. But, with a number of reasonable priced after-market seat out there, these look to be a easy fix for a broken or uncomfortable seat. Take a look at Corbeau seats. My truck has black cloth, and easy to get a close match. There may even be a seat adapter available, check out Seat Source.com.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try www.sitincomfort.com

There are many sites for OBUS FORM.
I have the highback vesion.
I don't use the lumbar cussion...but that is a personal choice.

Note, I tried padding the lumbar area but that just made the problem worse.
I think that the real problem is that the lumbar support will not retract far eneogh, so padding it does not really adress the problem.

I tried moving the passenger seat back to the drivers side, but for the most part they are "side specific".

I did talk with the dealer and you can order a seat back from a base truck and still maintain your power seat without the lumbar support.
I think he said it was about 400 bucks...not too bad I guess if it adresses the problem.

The few times I sat in the passenger side, I found the seat back far more comfortable....but I do need the power seat bottom.

In fact replacing the seat back in this manner may be the smart buy.
Not near as expensive as a replacement seat, and not as much off a compromise as the OBUS FORM.

The OBUS FORM works good, but it does take a bit of getting used too as it is not rigidly attached to the seat...just stapped in.
Food for thought.

May some guys with the base truck can chime in and give us their long term impressions of the "non lumbar" drivers seat?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I have an 03 quad cab with Leather I find the seats very comfy on long trips. here is a tip try removing your wallet...................it makes a huge difference....

thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 12:21 PM

The newer seats are just uncomfortable. I do the walet trick when only going 5 miles. Anything over an 1.5 hours and I am squirming. There are 2 problems with the stock seat. One is the lumbar pushes out to much and the other is the seat doesnt line up with the steering wheel. The best thing I have found to do is sit the seat upright and tilted forward. Raising the seat higher helps also. I havent spent the time to try and figure out a fix yet. I just take my ratty 95 on long trips other than when I go to Texas. 240K and a rip in the seat has you leaned over but it is still preferable to the new one
Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 PM

My wife got me a vibrating pad for my truck.
It has mini beads in it for comfort and two levels of vibration.
Works great so far for short trips. Havent had a chance to try it out on a long road trip yet.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 PM

I am 6'5" and 220 lbs. The seat fits me fine. Perhaps that is the problem: It is not a good fit for an average person.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM

I have an 05 with Leather, 28k for mileage. They seem comfortable for me but I do sit slightly angled instead of straight onto the steering wheel.

But, I did just happen to notice that I don't think the steering wheel is sitting straight and it is slightly angled to the driver's door. Very little but I did notice it. Maybe it is that way for reasons of a crash or something. That it will snap sideways instead of straight into your gut.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm already twisted up from spending too much time in my '63 land rover, but I did noticed that the seats are pretty hard.