3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

uncomfortable drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uncomfortable drivers seat

I have an 04 2500 qc 4x4 Laramie. I have found that the seat back makes my back sore on drives over 1.5 hours. It feels like the seat and steering wheel are not very square to each other which forces to me sit at a slilght angle. Has anyone noticed this in their truck and is there any adjustment of the mounting bolts.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 AM

Same exact problem with mine but have not found a solution yet...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by beardedone
I have an 04 2500 qc 4x4 Laramie. I have found that the seat back makes my back sore on drives over 1.5 hours. It feels like the seat and steering wheel are not very square to each other which forces to me sit at a slilght angle. Has anyone noticed this in their truck and is there any adjustment of the mounting bolts.
Try driving a Ford F350 for 8+ hrs at a time. I have to twisted up like a pretzel in the company truck to drive comfortably - which certainly isn't square with the steering let me tell you.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 PM

I don't have a problem with my trucks seat. I was a little worried when I first got my truck because the seats in the Dodge are so much more firm then my Chevy. But after going to LA and back which is about 5 hours each way I am very happy with them. No discomfort at all.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the seating on my truck, where I noticed that I ended up with an 'ergo' position; very upright, kind of close to the wheel, thighs fairly level, low pressure under the thighs, which gives me good visibility, control over the wheel, and comfort. Also, the ST seat is evdiently more comfortable than the fancier ones as it doesn't have a bunch 'comfort stuff' inside of it that replaces padding :^)
Old 02-16-2006, 06:21 PM

on mine, i believe the problem to be a lack of a good elbow rest. The center console is too low. Window sill is too high. This is what forces me to sit crooked. I also find the seat to be really lacking in the lumbar area. I find myself hunched forward over the wheel.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:30 PM

oh c'mon! lean ova on that centa console and drive it GANGSTA STYYYLE!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:49 PM

I REALLY disliked the driver's seat at first, but after a few five hour trips, I've decided that they are good enough. I have one of the 3/4 ton single rear "boomers" which cannot ever be called a comfortable ride, but I move around on the seat during travel, and it's in no way killing me when I get there. Also, I remember that every Mercedes I've ever been in had a very firm seating area. I have a friend with a 1983 Mercedes diesel, and it has anything but a luxury car ride... or seat.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 35xj
on mine, i believe the problem to be a lack of a good elbow rest. The center console is too low. Window sill is too high. This is what forces me to sit crooked. I also find the seat to be really lacking in the lumbar area. I find myself hunched forward over the wheel.
I raised the center console (put longer bolts in with nuts on both sides of the brackets). Brought it up about 1.5". I bolted an arm rest on the door. With the air ride seat sitting properly I can rest both arms and sit straight. Otherwise I slouch one way and it is hard on the back.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that the lumbar support, even cranked in all the way was like having a 2x4 stuck up against my back.
This was very uncomfortable.
I bought an OBUS FORM back rest that goes up the back of the seat all the way, and stapped it in.
It feels a bit wierd at first because it wiggles a bit, but makes all the differance in the world.
You want the high back version.
They are about 80 bucks here in Ontario.
They do have a web site, but I don't know how to post it.
Hope this helps.
BTW, the passenger seat is great, no lumbar support.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:23 PM

I have the leather seats and they really hurt my bottom, and hips. My 97's seat was alot more comfortable
Old 02-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Chapter President

Leather seats

Same problem with my leather seats no support in the middle is what I figured out. I folded a bath towel in thirds in the middle of my seat and no more back ache. Is there a fix for this problem? Seems like someone was looking into some kind or replacement foam.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my lumbar broke yesterday, trying to get some comfort.

then,the lumbar twistie handle came off.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Chapter President

Could be worse, it seems my '03 is the only one of the 3rd gens that had the electric lumbar and it has been stuck in a position with a big bulge, and I have to use a towel shoved in between the seat a back to get comfortable and sometimes if it's not perfect, It gets miserable real quick.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 AM

toto, i'd be really interested in that website. you can just type the website as you would type it into a browser and I can figure it out. thanks. drove mine for 8 hours yesterday and was pretty happy to get out!

Quick Reply: uncomfortable drivers seat