3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

ULSD 15ppm - BEWARE!! - MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEVER SAID that oil companies are out to get us, nor did I state any "conspiracy theories", or that they want our trucks to fail!

If that is what you got out of my posts, then you read and added unto it, as I never stated those things. What I did state is that the new ULSD is being shoved down our tanks by the EPA and that the refineries went with the least cost approach method. The EPA does NOT care about the lubricants that went missing since they switched to ULSD. Secondary agencies had to pick up the ball where they dropped it. There are studies and facts showing that the LACK-OF lubricant in the new ULSD may cause problems down the road.

Are the refineries worried about it? NO
Is the EPA worried about it? NO
Who will pay for it, if and when, things fail? YOU

That was all I wanted to point out. You started to make statements that I NEVER made. You put a "spin" on it to make me say something I never said. Please quote me next time.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by pet05
I NEVER SAID that oil companies are out to get us, nor did I state any "conspiracy theories", or that they want our trucks to fail!

If that is what you got out of my posts, then you read and added unto it, as I never stated those things. What I did state is that the new ULSD is being shoved down our tanks by the EPA and that the refineries went with the least cost approach method. The EPA does NOT care about the lubricants that went missing since they switched to ULSD. Secondary agencies had to pick up the ball where they dropped it. There are studies and facts showing that the LACK-OF lubricant in the new ULSD may cause problems down the road.

Are the refineries worried about it? NO
Is the EPA worried about it? NO
Who will pay for it, if and when, things fail? YOU

That was all I wanted to point out. You started to make statements that I NEVER made. You put a "spin" on it to make me say something I never said. Please quote me next time.

LOL, did you EVER think the EPA cared about you or your truck?
And No diddly you have to pay for repairs to your truck from ULSD, thats a no brainer. Did you think they will help you out? LOL.

Again, you are making it out to be an all out epidemic. Run an additive and quit crying.
Nothing will be changed from people complaining about their trucks having issues later on in life, nor will the EPA ever get less stringent.

As for quoting anything, you've got plenty of these to let us know how important it all is. How everyones trucks will fail now, and were all screwed!!!! OH NOES!
There are plenty in this very thread that have seen the "sky is falling" that youve been promoting.
Originally Posted by bulabula
The drama of it all - this post reminds me of chicken little. You should have posted it in the fuel section - then again, if you did you would have seen this has been discussed ad nauseum. Its a great time to use a DFA and get on with life without being a victim.
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I ain't scared... I run Willie B20 whenever I'm in the Dallas area... and the fuel at the station by my place in Alvin, TX smells like power service... they've GOTTA be loading it up w/ additive

if my pump takes a dump? oh well, good excuse to upgrade!
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Give me a break...

Why is everyone still talking about this? In CA we have had ULSD for the past year, and nothing but ULSD since September. And my truck has run it exclusively (11k miles). I don't use additives regularly and don't have a problem. My truck runs smooth and quietly and has no issues.

Again, since you still arent getting it.
Run an additive and dont turn a mole hill into a mountain.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
pet05, thanks for bringing up the ULSD issue again. I think the more people that know about it's effects, and the alternatives, the better it is for all of us. There are more bio plants popping up all the time, and I hope this trend continues. The way I see it, every gallon of biodiesel is one less gallon coming from some foreign country that just needs the money to make bombs to blow us up anyway.
Posts like this, ladies and gentlemen, is why most of the world thinks Americans are dumb.
I suggest you research the environmental impacts of bio diesels before praising it.
If we want to lessen foreign oil dependency we as a nation need to decrease our consumption. Purchasing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for personal transportation does not help. So unless you absolutely require a heavy duty diesel or gas powered pickup/suv for your work you are contributing to the importation of foreign crude from the "bomb to blow us up" nations. And with the attitude of Americans that will never happen, unless the govt rations fuel and they are forced to.
Has anyone calculated what MMO, seafoam etc cost you per mile? Diesel fuel is 35 cents more per gallon here in FL. Roughly 12% If I am required to add even more money to my fuel tank each fill-up where is the benefit of a diesel engine?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Posts like this, ladies and gentlemen, is why most of the world thinks Americans are dumb.
I suggest you research the environmental impacts of bio diesels before praising it.
If we want to lessen foreign oil dependency we as a nation need to decrease our consumption. Purchasing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for personal transportation does not help. So unless you absolutely require a heavy duty diesel or gas powered pickup/suv for your work you are contributing to the importation of foreign crude from the "bomb to blow us up" nations. And with the attitude of Americans that will never happen, unless the govt rations fuel and they are forced to.
Has anyone calculated what MMO, seafoam etc cost you per mile? Diesel fuel is 35 cents more per gallon here in FL. Roughly 12% If I am required to add even more money to my fuel tank each fill-up where is the benefit of a diesel engine?
I have forgotten more about biodiesel than you'll ever know.
Maybe you should purchase a new Toyota Hybrid if you can afford it. That way when the rationing starts you'll be ready.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I think we, as a nation, should use the best military force in the history of this planet to take the energy supplies that we want, need and deserve - especially petroleum... just think of it as eminent domain - it's the American Way! "

- Political Darwinist
Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM

RammTuff -

Looking at your truck you have 190,000 miles on it. THAT is one of the benefits of having a diesel truck.

How many things did you need to replace during that time?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tacook
"The refiners ARE NOT adding lubricity agents to this new fuel at the refinery.
The short answer is they could, but they are NOT allowed to.These pipelines carry diesel, home heating oil, jet fuel, gasoline and various other products. When fuel containing a lubricity agent is pumped through a pipeline the lubricity agent coats the pipeline and wants to stay in place, however when the next product is pumped through the line, inevitably some of this agent comes off and is carried off in the new product. The Lubricity agents are considered contaminants in Jet fuels, and due to concerns over potential liability, nearly all of the pipeline carriers have banned these agents from their pipelines."

Help me understand something........ they wont add lubrication to the diesel because of fear of contamination in jet fuel. What percentage of additive is in the diesel. Dont you think the actual diesel or gas or whatever would contaminate the jet fuel more than the small percentage of additive? Doesn't make sense to me. Are you in the fuel business?
They add it at the point of distibution. If they add it before they pump it thru the pipelines it would affect the portion traveling thru the pipe that is eventually used in jets. So, they add it when they fill the tanker trucks going to distibute the finished product. They add enough lubricity agent to conform to the old ASTM standard diesel fuels. The ruckus is about whether the standard is sufficient along with other new additives that must now be included in ULSD fuel. A little extra lube for insurance (till they figure this out) would be good insurance. And ,yes, a little biodiesel in each tank will definitely do it!
Cheers
Mike
###
Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 AM

Good Post - very informative!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rammtuff
recycling used veggie oil has a LOT less environmental impact that using new corn or soy oil... there are plants out there that will yield much more bio per acre than corn or soy, those happen to be the oils we often use because we've been growing those crops as food for years.

bio is very viable... not as the sole diesel energy source, but part of the whole package
Old 12-29-2006, 10:56 AM

Thanks Mopar1973man and Pet05.

Your site convinced me that PS is is not what I thought it was if it's HFRR rating is 520, the same as ULSD. I'm going to start adding 2 stroke tonight.

Oddly enough, I just had my LP replaced after a tankful of the cheapest diesel in town which made the truck run so rough I doubled up on PS.

Will any 2 stroke work and is there an increase in tailpipe smoke?

thanks again for the technical info!
thanks pet05 for starting the thread!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:11 AM

Your site convinced me that PS is is not what I thought it was if it's HFRR rating is 520, the same as ULSD. I'm going to start adding 2 stroke tonight.
This is if the lubrication is actually put in the ulsd at proper amounts. PS will help ensure the HFRR rating, not make it better! Again, cheap insurance.

Still not comfortable with adding 2 stroke to a $45k truck.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigred01
Still not comfortable with adding 2 stroke to a $45k truck.
why not?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 PM

First, pet05, I think I understand you're trying to point out there are some POTENTIAL problems for those of us whose diesels were not originally designed to burn ULSD. So, thanks for educating us with solid facts. It's also good to provide a historical perspective such as the comparison with leaded vs. unleaded fuels and the change from unlimited sulfur diesels to LSD. In both instances, to one degree or another, engine longevity and reliability were affected and the cause could be directly linked back to the change in fuel formulations.

To the criticizers, is his point to blow this out of proportion or to educate? I guess you have to make that call. I thought his initial posts were well-researched and written and increased my level of awareness of what I'm putting into my tank. Am I panicked now that I've read them? Certainly not. I regularly add Amsoil Diesel Concentrate which is specifically labelled to compensate for the reduced lubricity of ULSD when used at the recommended rate. It's only anecdotal so it's no good statistically but I've got a friend who recently had to replace his pump in his 1st gen diesel after nearly 280,000 miles of service only after being forced to switch from LSD #2 to ULSD. Yeah, it's high mileage so it could have been that pump's time but, then again, it only failed after the distributors in the area had switched to ULSD. So, maybe it wasn't the fuel but it definitely COULD have been the fuel. I don't know.

So, to everybody else, I agree with the criticizers insofar as they're preaching: "add lubricant 'X' to your engine and don't stress too much." There really isn't much more we can do unless and until either OEMs or aftermarket suppliers start making replacement seals, hoses, fittings, pump internals, etc. which will provide greater longevity with a reduced-lubricity fuel, just like what happened with the leaded/unleaded changeover.

To the biodieselers, you guys're awesome. I fully support the use of environmentally-friendly non-fossil fuels which also happen to be a renewable resource and benefit everyone from the farmer producing the crops to the kids in the playground that breathe the exhaust of passing motorists. Unfortunately, a lot of areas of the country (like my frickin' area) don't have commercially available bio-diesel. I am considering starting a bio-diesel business here in which I process WVO to meet EPA bio-diesel standards and sell it to local distributors for blending with their petro-diesel. Any ideas you bio-dieselers could give me would be helpful in knowing what I'd need to do but not in this post. Maybe I'll start a new thread in the bio-diesel section.

To the one nut who thinks we should ration fuel and only "true workers," should own trucks--does this sound like Marxism to anyone else? Come on, the nature of capitalism is to allow consumers and producers to freely choose that which we wish to produce and to consume. If I choose to own a diesel it's because I recognize the inherent greater fuel efficiency of the diesel engine and there're very few diesel engine options in the US car market right now. I occasionally use my truck for home improvement type projects, toy hauling, and "work truck," type activities. I used to own a half-ton, fuel injected, overdrive Chevy with a 350 that's 'lighter and smaller' than a 3/4 ton Dodge and, on paper, should be less of a fuel consumer but we all know they're not. I consistently netted 10 mpg around town and 13 on the highway at 65-70 mph. My cummins consistently nets me 15-15 around town and 17-18 on the freeway at 70-75 mph. You do the math. Don't preach to me about how I should "downsize," to a lesser gas engine 'cause I don't "need," the power and torque of the Cummins. I am a capitalist and I buy what I want not what the government thinks I need.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Just greased the pig!

Just poured a boatload of Valvoline 2 stroke in..man she is purring like a kitten!

...and I'm stickin it to the EPA.

Here in Los Angeles we don't trust air we can't see.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM

Always get a receipt when you purchase fuel....

There were problems with the elimination of MBTE and the change over to ethanol/gasoline blend. Similar circumstances to the diesel fuel with adding the ethanol to the gasoline at the distribution point. A co-worker of mine got a tankful of unleaded surprise right after the changeover. The distributor didn't get the blend quite right. It destroyed the fuel system on his car. He was able to recover the cost of the repairs from the fuel distributor due to a receipt proving where he purchased his fuel.