3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

ULSD 15ppm - BEWARE!! - MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pet05, thanks for bringing up the ULSD issue again. I think the more people that know about it's effects, and the alternatives, the better it is for all of us. There are more bio plants popping up all the time, and I hope this trend continues. The way I see it, every gallon of biodiesel is one less gallon coming from some foreign country that just needs the money to make bombs to blow us up anyway.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MedicShawn
Man......I found you 15 stations in Idaho and now they're too far.
Yes it's too far for me... But thanx for the listing... Now I can say ID has BIO... Like it makes a difference to me...

I would be nice to see...

NEW MEADOWS, ID
McCALL, ID
RIGGINS, ID
GRANGEVILLE, ID

... to start bringing in BIO-DIESEL...
Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM

While we can not change this ULSD problem, we can VOTE this Nov7th for people and issues that can play a part in these topics along with other vital topics.

Get out and vote! People died so that you can have the right to vote.

No it's off to the garage to mix some Marvel Mystery and Power Service for my truck so that it stays protected and lubricated...
Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 PM

what is power service i hae never heard of that
Old 11-04-2006, 12:29 PM

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Give me a break...

Why is everyone still talking about this? In CA we have had ULSD for the past year, and nothing but ULSD since September. And my truck has run it exclusively (11k miles). I don't use additives regularly and don't have a problem. My truck runs smooth and quietly and has no issues.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:54 PM

Why are some people getting so bent out of shape with this post?? If you don't believe the facts then just keep believing that the "big corporate" guys are looking out for you. Don't read and don't respond to the post if you don't care or don't believe.

I for one, wanted to post this to advise and warn the hard-working guy who bought a $40K+ truck, maybe his one and only new truck that they will ever one again in their lives, that the EPA made changes that could effect the longevity of certain parts on his truck.

Your truck has 11K miles on ULSD with NO additives BUT that is not the point. Drop a post when you have 50K+ on your truck using the ULSD without adding additives.

In 1993 the EPA forced the reduction of sulfur in on-highway diesel fuels from an unlimited amount (typically ˝ to 1% (5,000 to 10,000 ppm), although occasionally as high as 2% (20,000 ppm)) to a maximum of 500 ppm (.05%).

At that time, there was a 12 to 24 month period where significant problems with failures of some metallic fuel system components such as pumps and injectors due to the dramatic lowering of lubricity and with seals, gaskets, and other rubber or synthetic components due to the reduction of elasticity caused by removing the sulfur. It was nearly TWO YEARS before changes were completed in the new engines that ameliorated those problems and repairs made to older engines that controlled these problems.

Also, the European Union (EU) had set a standard of HFRR 460 for European manufacturers. Based on discussions within the manufacturers group the EMA has now set their minimum recommended standard at 460. (This information is available on the EMA website)

In the matter of Lubricity the ASTM (American Firm) after many years of discussion, has set its standard at HFRR 520. This is significantly less than the EMA and its membership suggest.

Those are the FACTS. The corporate guys making millions of dollars DON'T care if you trucks lift pump and other components die an early death because they changed their formula.

Don't get me started on California and its politics and policies.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Power Service is available at Wal-Mart;

It is a concentrated formula of cetane, detergents, and lubricity additives. They also have a winter formula which has an antigel agent.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:45 PM

No more girly fuels in California.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM

California is slowly sliding up the coast and in millions of years will be at home politically as part of Canada.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Well, I’m not a petroleum Engineer and can’t say whether or not ULSD will hut or trucks or not. However I will say that my toolbox has fuel additives in it. That’s is about all you can do. Back in the day I ran lead substitute additives in my Charger when unleaded fuels came out too.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:37 PM

pet05 says
In 1993 the EPA forced the reduction of sulfur in on-highway diesel fuels from an unlimited amount (typically ˝ to 1% (5,000 to 10,000 ppm), although occasionally as high as 2% (20,000 ppm)) to a maximum of 500 ppm (.05%).

At that time, there was a 12 to 24 month period where significant problems with failures of some metallic fuel system components such as pumps and injectors due to the dramatic lowering of lubricity and with seals, gaskets, and other rubber or synthetic components due to the reduction of elasticity caused by removing the sulfur. It was nearly TWO YEARS before changes were completed in the new engines that ameliorated those problems and repairs made to older engines that controlled these problems.
My dad bought a 1990 Dodge with Cummins brand new. In January of 2005 this LSD destroyed his injector pump at somewhere around 270,000 miles. Man, if he had only been a regular user of fuel additives this wouldn't have happened.

Figure Cummins and Dodge knew the ULSD was coming down the pipe and they planned accordingly. To do so otherwise would put the Cummins in the same reliability areana as the UhOh engine.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

I am new to this forum but would like to add some input to the ULSD and why it will be here to stay. The 07 spec. heavy truck engines like the Cummins ISX CM870 are required to have a particulate filter which sulphur will will destroy. They even have to put a 7th injector in the exhaust to raise EGT to make sure the filter is hot enough to burn up the carbon build up. I deal with engineers at Cummins 2-3 times a week. I asked one of them what he would do. He suggested Lucas treatment or something to replace the lubricity in the fuel. He said there was no "hard core evidence" that ULSD will cause premature failure, but if he spent 40k+ on a truck, he would add something.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:41 PM

why not 100% bio

thought that a diesels were designed to run off of Peanut oil

What would be wrong with running on 100% Peanut oil or any other veggie based oil? Don't they produce plenty of lubricity??
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM

If you ran the ULSD 500ppm on the 2007's+, you would have SEVERE damage to the emissions setup. The EGR would cease to work, along with other emission components.

I read that even as low as 30-40 ppm of sulfur will cause 2007+ engines to be damaged.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
If you ran the ULSD 500ppm on the 2007's+, you would have SEVERE damage to the emissions setup. The EGR would cease to work, along with other emission components.

I read that even as low as 30-40 ppm of sulfur will cause 2007+ engines to be damaged.
It actually clogs up the cat and particulate matter filter.

And no one is getting "bent out of shape", its the fact that you are trying to cause pandamonium about how the oil companies are out to get us, and destroy our trucks, etc, etc, etc...
They are being forced to now comply to emissions standards for diesels, which they hadnt had to do(much of) in the past.
Like other people and I have said in this thread already, its not a big of a deal as you are trying to turn it into. Run an additive, change your fuel filter and oil and take the proper measures to insure your truck is running right, like people should be doing already.
The world is NOT coming to an end because ULSD is hitting the pumps.
The oil companies are not out to get us, and make our trucks fail prematurely.
Relax and put the conspiracy theories to rest.

Quick Reply: ULSD 15ppm - BEWARE!! - MUST READ!!!