3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

ULSD 15ppm - BEWARE!! - MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just trying to find the FACTS about this.

I would like to run B20.....but I have 2 problems.
Only one place sells it here, its an hour drive.
I dont want to void my warranty
Old 11-03-2006, 05:28 PM

They would have to prove you were running B20, and it caused a failure, to void any kind of warranty. I think they would be much more concerned about water content, programmers, etc. than B20. I think B5 is even covered under the factory warranty, and the only reason B20 isn't is because of quality control with the bio stock used (home brews, etc.) in higher concentrations. Even B5 has better lubricity the low sulfur that everyone has been running for awhile now, and it is much better than the ultra low sulfur. B20 is available in this area, and the price is the same as std #2 ( which is still too high ) but if you have to add additive $$$ to the #2 for lubricity, then the B5 or B20 is actually cheaper per gallon. We converted our fleet of locomotives over to B20 back in August because of USLD issues, and we have been very satisfied with the results so far.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by pet05

This “new” fuel is considerably more difficult and costly to produce. The major refiners have been forced to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in order to comply with these new regulations.

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is derived through one of several processes the most common of which are known as “Severe Hydrotreating” and “Severe Hydrocracking”. In these processes sulfur is stripped from the fuel through the use of low pressure or high pressure catalytic cracking. These processes remove sulfur through molecular manipulation via catalysts. It is important to note that in addition to removing sulfur this manipulation also has several NEGATIVE consequences for the resulting fuel.

Sulfur is an Extreme Pressure (EP) lubricant. It is regularly added to lubricating oils and greases to increase the lubricity and to raise the amount of pressure that the lubricant can handle before the lubricating molecular barrier begins to break down. Sulfur has always been a vitally important factor in providing lubrication to diesel engine fuel pumps, fuel injectors, and to a lesser degree engine valves.

In 1993 the EPA forced the reduction of sulfur in on-highway diesel fuels from an unlimited amount (typically ˝ to 1% (5,000 to 10,000 ppm), although occasionally as high as 2% (20,000 ppm)) to a maximum of 500 ppm (.05%). At that time, there was a 12 to 24 month period where significant problems with failures of some metallic fuel system components such as pumps and injectors due to the dramatic lowering of lubricity and with seals, gaskets, and other rubber or synthetic components due to the reduction of elasticity caused by removing the sulfur. It was nearly TWO YEARS before changes were completed in the new engines that ameliorated those problems and repairs made to older engines that controlled these problems.

The reduction now being made takes on-highway diesel from less than 500 ppm to less than 15 ppm, which for all practical purposes eliminates sulfur as a lubricant in the fuel.

In spite of what the industry would like to have you believe, diesel fuel is not a homogenous product that is always the same no matter where or who you buy it from. Today’s petroleum market is almost incomprehensibly complex with diesel is derived from a wide range of crude stock, whose chemical makeup and quality varies widely. Fuel in the US is refined in hundreds of refineries, no two of which are the same, using different methods, different equipment, and under different quality controls. A significant percentage of our fuel is no longer even refined domestically, but rather it is processed in a foreign country far away from even our mediocre quality controls and regulations.

These are some facts that many of you may not be aware of:

The Below Warning Was Issued to Gas Stations:
ULSD may be more susceptible to bacterial growth, good tank maintenance (housekeeping) practices are even more important. Routine water bottom draining and tank bottom sampling should be established to ensure a clean system and the efficacy of housekeeping measures.

* - SULFUR IS A NATURAL LUBRICANT - ULSD is further processed to remove additional sulfur, resulting in fuel that contains only 15ppm of sulfur. Diesel fuel must adequately lubricate the fuel injection system components. The additional ULSD processing removes naturally occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel.

I might be paranoid but the new ULSD reminds me of the time the EPA made pump go from LEADED to UNLEADED. All the engines that were designed to run on LEADED had exhaust valve & engine failures within 20K-50K miles. The car manufacturers started to install different hardened valve seats to prevent this from failing. The LEAD in the gas acted as an octane booster & was a great lubricant.

The ULSD has less sulfur. REMEMBER - SULFUR IS A LUBRICANT!! Now with suflur going from 500ppm to 10ppm, that is A LOT less of sulfur. The ULSD MUST ADD a lubricant to the process to protect the fuel system.
The drama of it all - this post reminds me of chicken little. You should have posted it in the fuel section - then again, if you did you would have seen this has been discussed ad nauseum. Its a great time to use a DFA and get on with life without being a victim.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM

saying that sulfur is a natural lubricant is totally and completely the opposite of what I have been reading over the last year. its actually an abrasive from what ive read. someboby smarter than me want to chime in here?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
B20 will take care of all of your lubricity issues.
Some people can't get bio-diesel... As far as I know there is NO BIO in the state of IDAHO!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:29 PM

according to this listing there are 15 biodiesel dealers in Idaho.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=ID
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM

I am not in the fuel business or anything like that. I am just passing on the information I found.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MedicShawn
according to this listing there are 15 biodiesel dealers in Idaho.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=ID
Geez! I'm not going to drive 300 miles round trip for Bio!!!

How about RIGGINS, IDAHO???
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 PM

I am not in the fuel business or anything like that. I am just passing on the information I found.
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"

This is nothing new, and not as much of a concern as people should be mantaining their trucks on their own. Eurpope has been running low sulfur for a long time, and it hasnt caused an epidemic over there yet...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
Geez! I'm not going to drive 300 miles round trip for Bio!!!

How about RIGGINS, IDAHO???
Man......I found you 15 stations in Idaho and now they're too far.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"

This is nothing new, and not as much of a concern as people should be mantaining their trucks on their own. Eurpope has been running low sulfur for a long time, and it hasnt caused an epidemic over there yet...
and look how grumpy they all are

MY take on it is why do we allow a bunch of treehugging bleeding heart liberals in the great shaky state DICTATE what the rest of the country can do

All the have really done is to cause Us Oil-burners to make less by burning more..

Solution :improve the diesels that are in production to be more fuel efficiant and enviro-friendly instead of creating a whole nother fuel monster .
Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 PM

Hey, I am just trying to let people know about this. I gathered information and posted it. Nothing more.

I bet there are people out there who do not know about this. Please do not attack me for the message.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 PM

STACKED 97 stated -
"This is nothing new, and not as much of a concern as people should be mantaining their trucks on their own. Eurpope has been running low sulfur for a long time, and it hasnt caused an epidemic over there yet."

That is true but you are missing a VITAL point about the USA low sulfur fuel:

The European Union (EU) had set a standard of HFRR 460 for European manufacturers. Based on discussions within the manufacturers group the EMA has now set their minimum recommended standard at 460. (This information is available on the EMA website)

In the US, the primary body that sets the standards for fuels is the American Society for Testing of Materials (ASTM). This is a private (non-governmental) consensus group that has members from a wide range of producer and user industry groups together with representatives from various governmental agencies. This group sets all of the specifications and standards not set by the EPA. It also generally parallels any required EPA standard with a corresponding ASTM specification.

Due to its active membership leaning towards the refiners and high volume users, many of its specifications can appear to be designed to provide the lowest cost product, rather than the best product.

In the matter of Lubricity the ASTM after many years of discussion, has set its standard at HFRR 520. This is significantly less than the EMA and its membership suggest.

While this 60 point difference is unlikely to cause catastrophic failures, it will definitely increase wear on and shorten the life of components that are lubricated by the fuel. So, in Europe they are running the ULSD but they have a higher standard for lubrication than the USA. That is a SIGNIFICANT reason why they may not have as many problems as we may start to encounter.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Banned

I ain't scared... I run Willie B20 whenever I'm in the Dallas area... and the fuel at the station by my place in Alvin, TX smells like power service... they've GOTTA be loading it up w/ additive

if my pump takes a dump? oh well, good excuse to upgrade!
Old 11-04-2006, 01:28 AM

STACKED 97 stated -
"This is nothing new, and not as much of a concern as people should be mantaining their trucks on their own. Eurpope has been running low sulfur for a long time, and it hasnt caused an epidemic over there yet."

That is true but you are missing a VITAL point about the USA low sulfur fuel:

The European Union (EU) had set a standard of HFRR 460 for European manufacturers. Based on discussions within the manufacturers group the EMA has now set their minimum recommended standard at 460. (This information is available on the EMA website)

In the US, the primary body that sets the standards for fuels is the American Society for Testing of Materials (ASTM). This is a private (non-governmental) consensus group that has members from a wide range of producer and user industry groups together with representatives from various governmental agencies. This group sets all of the specifications and standards not set by the EPA. It also generally parallels any required EPA standard with a corresponding ASTM specification.

Due to its active membership leaning towards the refiners and high volume users, many of its specifications can appear to be designed to provide the lowest cost product, rather than the best product.

In the matter of Lubricity the ASTM after many years of discussion, has set its standard at HFRR 520. This is significantly less than the EMA and its membership suggest.

While this 60 point difference is unlikely to cause catastrophic failures, it will definitely increase wear on and shorten the life of components that are lubricated by the fuel. So, in Europe they are running the ULSD but they have a higher standard for lubrication than the USA. That is a SIGNIFICANT reason why they may not have as many problems as we may start to encounter.
Again, what are you going to do about it?
You can gripe to high heaven, all its going to accomplish is a bunch of gripes.
People should be mataining their own trucks as it is, yes it stinks, but the people that it effects have no say-so in the regulation of diesel, so again, its kind of like peeing in the wind. I never said it wasnt good for you to be relaying information, but its not as big of a apocolypse as youre making it out to be. People can run an additive and be just fine, and as long as other matainence is performed, shouldnt see any less miles out of it in the longrun...
Even so, if you see 50k less miles because of increased wear and tear, who are you going to take it up with, you know THAT wont get you anywhere.

Quick Reply: ULSD 15ppm - BEWARE!! - MUST READ!!!