3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Turning On Fog Lights and Low Beams with High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turning On Fog Lights and Low Beams with High Beams

These high beams are worthless so I wired a couple relays to fire the fogs and low beams whenever the high beams are on. Someone on another thread wanted to know how to do the wiring so here you go......

Disclaimer: If you have something other than a 2004 the wire colors will probably be different.

Supplies needed:
Two 12v relays & matching wired sockets (they will have pins 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a)
Inline Fuse(s). Your option to use one for both relays or one for each relay.
Fuses
Wire
Soldering gun/solder
Ring terminals and crimping tool
Utility knife
Electrical tape

First thing I did was remove the left side headlight. 3 bolts and one plastic screw. Behind the headlight you will find the wires for the high beam trigger for the relays, the low beam for the left side and the wire for both fogs. I draped a rag over the bumper and let the headlight assembly rest on the bumper.

+12v power came from the bolt/block on the side of the Power Distribution Center using a ring terminal. I wired this to the #30 terminals on the relays with an inline fuse block.

There are at least 3 ground locations on the left fender. I wired terminal #86 from both relays to one of the grounds using ring terminals.

The left high beam wire is White/Lt Green on my truck. I connected this wire to terminal #85 on both relays. This will "fire" the relays.

I connected terminal #87 of one relay to the White/Yellow wire going to the fog lights. The same wire fires both fog lights.

Terminal #87 from the other relay went to the White/Tan wire for the right side low beam and the White/Dark Blue wire for the left low beam. Don't ask me why but each low beam has it's own wire. The left low beam wire was easy to find since the left headlight assembly was out. I ran another wire back to the firewall and along the loom over to the passenger side where it was easier to take the loom apart and find the White/Tan wire. Be careful there is a White/Brown wire in that loom also!!!!!!

Terminal #87a isn't used on either relay.

Total cost: under $10

Let us know if you have a different solution.....
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My high beams are more then enough.Ever try aiming yours.I get tired of blasting on coming vehicles with all FOUR of mine cause the axxx are running ever darn light and don't dim!!! Folkes run all that crap even in twilight.Chezz.I've got to where if they have fog and driving lights on in semi well lighted roads I blast with all four of mine.It murder on MY eyes. If out alone in the middle of nothing thats fine,but usually not the case.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 AM

These high beams don't have enough lumens to aim so I went with plan B which was installing 9005s in the fog lights. That wasn't enough so I went with plan C, this mod.

I agree, if someone is driving at you with their brights on I say, "blast away!" Since I don't drive with my brights on when there is oncoming traffic I went ahead with this mod.

I hear that when you get old your eyes get more sensitive to bright lights at night. Something I'm not looking forward to....like eating mashed peas and peeing in my depends.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 AM

The SILVER ones are murder.Pink is kinda bad.A independent study that was posted on TDR eons ago on the TINTS showed that all they did was act as a irritent! To HUMANS.Not so much to critters.But they offered NO more candle power or better vison then straight white.I'm 51 as of last April.The LIGHT deal has bugged me for a decade or better.Use to be standards that had to be followed but that seems to have been put aside.I bet EVERYONE that comes at you with extra bright lights,fogs/driving lights and high beams on would swear they never do that! They do it in conditions that its not needed by any means for the most part.Yes I like SOUPS NOW and didn't 10 years ago!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the independent wires is so that the ECM can check the filament and light the "LAMP OUT" indicator (on speedo)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:27 PM

How did you tap into the pre-existing wires? I was under the impression that tapping into the lighting wiring harness would cause the "bulb out" light to come on.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like having extreme brightness on tap when I need it. **** slow left lane drivers!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:36 PM

I tapped directly into the wires and didn't do anything special. I have never had a "bulb out" light.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks, sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Hey, I tried handymantim's relay idea on my 06 and thought it worked great until I left for work at 4 in the morning this morning. I tried switching from high to low a couple of times as I started down the driveway and after the 3rd or 4th time I lost low beam! I still had high with low and fogs but when I went to low I only had fogs. If I turned fogs off it got dark quick! When I got off work this afternoon the lows worked again. Circuit breaker? Where is it? I left them on and they made it about 5 miles before they went out again. I could see them in the tailgate of the truck in front of me. I wired the fogs with their own relay, and the lows with their own relay each for a total of 3 relays. I did wire terminal 85 to ground and 86 to the high beam. Thats how I always hook up relays. Did I do wrong, if so, please explain.For now I have unhooked the lows and am going to try running the fogs with the highs and see how that works out. Any ideas on what the problem is? Thanks Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM

I did my fogs w/ one relay installed behind the drivers headlight. On a '06 both fogs are powered from a wire that runs down below the drivers headlight to the drivers fog and then across to the pass fog. Cut the wire and connect fog side to #30 on relay. Connect truck side of wire to #87a on relay. Next find wire behind driver headlight that carries high beam power and t-tap into it. Plug this into #86 on relay. Hook #85 of relay to ground. Finally hook #87 on relay to battery positive through a fuse. Wired this way the fogs get power from normal source until you hit the high beams then they get power from the battery directly. Has worked fine for a year on my truck.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 AM

My BD allows me to run fogs with my highs, doesn't the Smarty have that too?
I don't like the idea of cutting and hacking up the factory wiring.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Hey, I did away with the relays and wiring I added for the low beams and left the fogs hooked up. Haven't had anymore trouble with the lows going out and the fogs are working great! Thanks Mark
Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Ya that pre 06 High Beams are kinda pitiful. i can see why they went bigger. High on this dodge is is about low on our old Fords. when im driving at night i always think ive forgoton to put on the brights. i have fog lights but you can't even tell they're on under normal driving conditions, not even 1%. about the only time we needed them, i didnt know how to turn them on LOL only had the truck a month. cost us about 15/20mph for about 100 miles of dirving
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by handymantim
These high beams are worthless so I wired a couple relays to fire the fogs and low beams whenever the high beams are on. Someone on another thread wanted to know how to do the wiring so here you go......

Disclaimer: If you have something other than a 2004 the wire colors will probably be different.

Supplies needed:
Two 12v relays & matching wired sockets (they will have pins 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a)
Inline Fuse(s). Your option to use one for both relays or one for each relay.
Fuses
Wire
Soldering gun/solder
Ring terminals and crimping tool
Utility knife
Electrical tape

First thing I did was remove the left side headlight. 3 bolts and one plastic screw. Behind the headlight you will find the wires for the high beam trigger for the relays, the low beam for the left side and the wire for both fogs. I draped a rag over the bumper and let the headlight assembly rest on the bumper.

+12v power came from the bolt/block on the side of the Power Distribution Center using a ring terminal. I wired this to the #30 terminals on the relays with an inline fuse block.

There are at least 3 ground locations on the left fender. I wired terminal #86 from both relays to one of the grounds using ring terminals.

The left high beam wire is White/Lt Green on my truck. I connected this wire to terminal #85 on both relays. This will "fire" the relays.

I connected terminal #87 of one relay to the White/Yellow wire going to the fog lights. The same wire fires both fog lights.

Terminal #87 from the other relay went to the White/Tan wire for the right side low beam and the White/Dark Blue wire for the left low beam. Don't ask me why but each low beam has it's own wire. The left low beam wire was easy to find since the left headlight assembly was out. I ran another wire back to the firewall and along the loom over to the passenger side where it was easier to take the loom apart and find the White/Tan wire. Be careful there is a White/Brown wire in that loom also!!!!!!

Terminal #87a isn't used on either relay.

Total cost: under $10

Let us know if you have a different solution.....
Here is a pic of my fuse box. I"m guessing that it has changed sine my '06 truck. I can't find any #87. Any suggestions on something else?

Quick Reply: Turning On Fog Lights and Low Beams with High Beams