3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Turbo diesel life saver

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
wrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo diesel life saver

looking for a turbo saver for a 06 any know were i can get one?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 AM

If this is it, it can be found at Geno's Garage.

DIESEL TURBO LIFE SAVER - 1 - 250 MINUTES ('06-'07 DODGE) $264.99

I have seen other types and I thought there was one offered from the DTR Store that would work and they were less costly to the tune of about $90.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by wrm
looking for a turbo saver for a 06 any know were i can get one?
i got this. lotta features other units dont have. a/c runs/power windows/radio all will work til shutoff w/o the key in it..
Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Edge Juice with Attitude. IMO though, get one that works on temperature and not time...you are trying to reach a shut-down temperature, not time. So, you will either be idling too long or not long enough...
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Ditto on the Edge Juice w/ Attitude, You get performance, guages and turbo saver all in one great package!! Well worth the $$
Old 10-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

LOL, the old "turbo timers", if I were you I would save my money, with synthetic oil you do not need to worry about "oil coking" in modern turbo applications.

MYTH #7
You have to let a turbo-diesel idle for two minutes before you shut it off.

FACT
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today’s turbocharged gasoline engines that operate at higher peak exhaust temperatures than turbo-diesels. In the early days of turbochargers, the turbo shaft was supported by a babbitt bearing that could seize, or even melt, if the engine was shut off immediately after sustained boost conditions where the turbocharger would “heat soak”. A two minute cool down at idle allowed the turbocharger to dissipate any remaining spinning inertia, and the oil circulation cooled the bearing and prevented oil “coking” in the bearing area. Turbochargers haven’t used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and today’s oils resist coking. Synthetic oils won’t coke, period. With a turbocharged gas engine, it’s still good insurance to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the turbo or turbos to dissipate any inertia and to cool the bearing area to prevent oil coking, especially if the engine has been worked hard just prior to shut-down. Of course, using quality synthetic oil eliminates this potential coking problem.

Today’s turbo-diesels are a different story. There is really no reason to “cool down” a turbo-diesel these days, but you won’t hurt anything by doing it either. You can still find people who swear you have to do it, but the myth is fading. Maybe they just like to sit and listen to the radio.

Taken from here
Old 10-13-2007, 06:42 PM

That's why you get the shut-down feature...park...turn-off...pull key...lockup and walk away...don't need to sit and wait...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm interested in a turbo timer as well... I have seen lots of import performance turbo timers, wondering how these would work in our application, like these:
Turbo Timer
Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
LOL, the old "turbo timers", if I were you I would save my money, with synthetic oil you do not need to worry about "oil coking" in modern turbo applications.

MYTH #7
You have to let a turbo-diesel idle for two minutes before you shut it off.

FACT
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today’s turbocharged gasoline engines that operate at higher peak exhaust temperatures than turbo-diesels. In the early days of turbochargers, the turbo shaft was supported by a babbitt bearing that could seize, or even melt, if the engine was shut off immediately after sustained boost conditions where the turbocharger would “heat soak”. A two minute cool down at idle allowed the turbocharger to dissipate any remaining spinning inertia, and the oil circulation cooled the bearing and prevented oil “coking” in the bearing area. Turbochargers haven’t used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and today’s oils resist coking. Synthetic oils won’t coke, period. With a turbocharged gas engine, it’s still good insurance to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the turbo or turbos to dissipate any inertia and to cool the bearing area to prevent oil coking, especially if the engine has been worked hard just prior to shut-down. Of course, using quality synthetic oil eliminates this potential coking problem.

Today’s turbo-diesels are a different story. There is really no reason to “cool down” a turbo-diesel these days, but you won’t hurt anything by doing it either. You can still find people who swear you have to do it, but the myth is fading. Maybe they just like to sit and listen to the radio.
I sure don't see anything resembling a "myth" here. Turbo temperatures on a gas or diesel engine can easily exceed 1250 degrees- we've all proven that with our pyrometers. Modern engine oils start to break down at slightly over 300 degrees- that information is no secret, and is quite easy to verify. If a turbo at 1250 degrees is shut down and allowed to heat-soak, what can we expect to happen to the oil that is sitting in there? It will boil until at the very least it is damaged, and most likely will be partially solidified into what resembles tar.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

I've been running twin turbo street cars for over 20 years and with synthetic oil and modern turbos you will not need a turbo timer, its a waste of money.

But, its your cash.

BTW, the bearings in your turbo are not seeing 1250 degrees.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line is, most of the average joe's who buy a diesel don't read up on them on the internet, and probably don't let them cooldown. I know plenty of guys with 300k+ miles on their trucks and they've never let it cool down since they owned it and haven't had a problem. I think people worry about this too much. With that said, I usually wait 1 minute before turning mine off.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spend the money on something else...

Originally Posted by essgeetee
Bottom line is, most of the average joe's who buy a diesel don't read up on them on the internet, and probably don't let them cooldown. I know plenty of guys with 300k+ miles on their trucks and they've never let it cool down since they owned it and haven't had a problem. I think people worry about this too much. With that said, I usually wait 1 minute before turning mine off.
I now work for FedEX Express. We have several versons of the CTD from 12V to 24V in my station's 40 truck Freightliner fleet. Our trucks have from 90K to over 300K miles on the engines, average roughly 200K miles. On my evening pickup route alone I start and stop the engine over 50 times during my shift. And I "share" a truck with a morning delivery driver who has to start and stop the same number of times or more. We would never get our packages delivered on time or pick them up on time if we waited for the turbo to cool down. Most of our trucks run great with far less TLC and maintenance than we give our personal Dodge CTDs.

I would save the money for something more worthwhile.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Banned

A friend of mine was a diesel mech for Roger Penske, they had a Dodge Ram CTD service truck with over 900,000 miles on it and guess what, no turbo timer.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:57 AM

The operators manual says to let it idle for up to 5 minutes if you have been towing at highway speeds.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM

If you've had the turbo spooled and hot, I'd let that thing cool a bit before shutting down. Couldn't hurt anyway. Taking advice from Banks, on the other hand...

Quick Reply: Turbo diesel life saver