3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trying to decide which truck to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillip,

Bonham Chrysler in Bonham, TX has the best deals on Dodge trucks anywhere... my buddy got a 04.5 600 quad cab 2wd 6sp dually from them. he was out the door w/ TT&L for under $31k!!!

the 3rd gens seem to be good trucks... a couple hicups here and there, and I'm not convinced they have fixed the lift pump problem, but they're still lightyears better than a sick-point-oh Powerhoax!

Forrest
Old 08-05-2004, 02:18 PM

I need to find a dealer like that in Pennsylvania! I've checked EBAY and found only 2 one's in NC and the other is in MO!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
Phillip,

Bonham Chrysler in Bonham, TX has the best deals on Dodge trucks anywhere... my buddy got a 04.5 600 quad cab 2wd 6sp dually from them. he was out the door w/ TT&L for under $31k!!!
For what it's worth....Bonham Chrysler and Greenville Chrysler are owned by the same people and pretty much have the same prices. Heck...when you leave one of them it pops up a window asking you to visit the website of the other one if you didn't find what you wanted. Greenville is a little closer to him than Bonham....which is why I suggested it. Bonham has more inventory though. I'd check the inventory for each on the internet and go from there. Also, at least in the case of Bonham, they only have about 75% of their inventory listed on the internet.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

interesting, I didn't realize they were under the same umbrella!

obviously, if Greenville has what you want go for it, but like he said, they don't list all their inventory online. although, the stuff they don't list is probably single cab 3/4 tons and stuff... the "caddies" have a better chance of being listed online.

good luck in your search, I would highly recomend planning on dealing with Bonham or Greenville!!!! I've driven by Greenville Chrysler, that place is HUGE and has trucks lined up three or four deep for a 1/4 mile or so! LOL!

Forrest
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Phillip,

Check out the Lone Star edition HD. Nicely loaded SLT with polished alloys wheels. Wiesner in Tomball has a few of the Lone Star editions on the lot, MSRP around $35k, so with the current rebate and haggling should be able to get the truck well below $32k. Oh, the trucks have the 600 with autos.

MikeyB
Old 08-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Muted User

Just a quick "right on" for using the internet.

Just last week my brother bought a vehicle (not a Cummins Dodge unfortunately) from a dealer in Sacramento. He flew to California from western Colorado, was met at the airport, did paperwork in Nevada to avoid taxes, and drove his new car home.

When he showed it to local car dealers, along with the paperwork, they still refused to believe the great deal he got. One salesman said, "There's just no way." One guy just walked back into his office shaking his head.

So, if you are prepared, and know what you are doing, the internet could be the way to go.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:56 AM

Im in Pa .I emailed Greenville dodge ,after checking there inventory.Wow! 172 2500's available! 140 plus 3500s .Bottom line is a oneway ticket to Texas ,an overnight stay I can get more truck for around 2500 less than I'd pay up here.Including taxes and tags.Plus have a nice highway run to brake her in .
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM

I have found some real good deals around here local, but I have yet to go drive one. I think we are gonna go drive some this weekend.

The only problem is, I am having a hard time justifying buying a 30k dollar truck that gets sorry mileage. My good friend just bought the same truck I want, and she is getting 12mpg hwy, and 9 mpg pulling a 3 Living quarter horse trailer. Im sorry, but I cant do it. I dont expect to get 20mpg pulling, but I do expect to get atleast 12.

I am going to explore the Dmax's and Fords too. Eventhough they will cost more. Im just not real happy that dodge cant make these trucks get decent mileage. 32 grand and I have to fill up every 250 miles,,,I was born at night, but not last night.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Banned

My mom's dmax gets about 10 pulling an empty 3 horse gooseneck witout living quarters. I haven't towed with it since I put the exhaust on it but I'm hoping it will help.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 AM

I know her trailer is heavy, but it should do better than that. Excuses can be made up all day long, but untill I see a drastic improvement im not gonna buy a 600. Im a tightwad, and I cant justify it.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
I have found some real good deals around here local, but I have yet to go drive one. I think we are gonna go drive some this weekend.

The only problem is, I am having a hard time justifying buying a 30k dollar truck that gets sorry mileage. My good friend just bought the same truck I want, and she is getting 12mpg hwy, and 9 mpg pulling a 3 Living quarter horse trailer. Im sorry, but I cant do it. I dont expect to get 20mpg pulling, but I do expect to get atleast 12.

I am going to explore the Dmax's and Fords too. Eventhough they will cost more. Im just not real happy that dodge cant make these trucks get decent mileage. 32 grand and I have to fill up every 250 miles,,,I was born at night, but not last night.
Try getting an '04 instead of an '04.5. The '04 trucks still have the 325/555 engine which gets much better mileage than the new 325/600 engine. Both Greenville and Bonham still have loads of them on their lots....and I'm sure other dealers do to. If I were getting one right now I wouldn't even consider the 600.

In fact, that silver dually I posted above was the HO Cummins...not the 600.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Isn't the HO and 600 the same?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Hoss
Try getting an '04 instead of an '04.5. The '04 trucks still have the 325/555 engine which gets much better mileage than the new 325/600 engine. Both Greenville and Bonham still have loads of them on their lots....and I'm sure other dealers do to. If I were getting one right now I wouldn't even consider the 600.

In fact, that silver dually I posted above was the HO Cummins...not the 600.
Better check your spelling above Hoss, I think you mean 305/555.
Nat
Old 08-16-2004, 07:12 AM

I spent some time on the phone this weekend. I found one heck of a deal down in Port Lavaca,TX on a truck, but it was a 600. It had everything I wanted, but it was a 600. The guy quoted me over the phone, 29k. This is a brand new truck.

Greenville, Bonham, & Sealy could not touch this price. Nor could any of them find a 555 with a 6speed.

But I am still not sold on the 04 600. I have a friend that has been a ford man all his life, and 90% of his miles are pulling a 32' cattle trailer. He just bought a 4-door D-Max dually, 2wd, with the allison. He has 20k miles, 17k pulling the 32'er. He loves it. He says no problems...yet. lol. I think the chevys cost more, but have a bigger cab. The bigger cab means allot to me, and chevys ride like cadillacs compared to any other 3500. Now, Im not trying to justify buying one yet, as the dodge is still an option. We are thinking of waiting on a '05 dodge. I just read that they are using a "pusher pump" now, and I like the sunroof idea.

My friend with the dmax gets 9-11 mpg pulling, and 15-17 on long trips. I think thats average even compared to the dodge. Thats about what I get with my 01 4x4.

The wife and I are gonna go drive some Dmax's, and wait around to drive an 05 too. So I guess you guys can start knocking me for looking at chevys, but I dont care. lol....

BTW< I went roping friday night, and got to drive my friends '04 600 4x4, 6speed home pulling his 3 horse slant with our horses in it. Man that thing pulls awesome. we drove 144 miles round trip, and averaged 10mpg by the overhead comp. That thing proved itself to me. He says he gets 15mpg unloaded. Same as my other buddys dmax.

Later.
Phillip
Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bigger cab means allot to me
Then you should eliminate the Dodge from consideration. It definitely has a smaller cab than either of the other mfrs. I happen to like it because it translates to a shorter WB and turning radius. But, to each his own . . .

and chevys ride like cadillacs compared to any other 3500
So I've heard. I've also heard that the same softness of ride translates to towing - too soft. So, I guess it depends on how you intend to use the truck.

BTW< I went roping friday night, and got to drive my friends '04 600 4x4, 6speed home pulling his 3 horse slant with our horses in it. Man that thing pulls awesome.
I couldn't have come up with a better statement, myself, to explain why folks around here have bought the CTD.

Before buying any brand, do some research. Read posts on the other boards and make an informed decision. Each brand has its pluses and minuses. Figure out which is the best fit for you, make the decision and don't look back.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Neil