3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trying to decide which truck to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide which truck to buy.

Well, I am no longer the bread winner in the family(which I am totally cool with). She just got hired on full time at the dentist office she is working at, and is now making more than me. So she says she wants a new truck, and when I told her that sunroofs where an option she was all smiles. So its looking like within the next 2 months there will be a shiny silver truck in our driveway. I need help because I have no experience with the 3rd gen. We want a 4 door, 2wd dually, 6 speed, & It will be silver.

what other options will be added in '05?
Are there any re-occuring problems like the 2nd gens (KDP,Trackbars,Liftpumps,etc. etc.) with 3rd gens?

Now,,,,I have never bought a brand new vehicle in my life. What are some things to look out for when buying brand new? What kind of dealer tactics should I look out for and be aware of?

I am hoping we can get into the truck we want for 32k or less. It is this price range that will keep me out of a Ford or Chevy...lol, man they are freakin expensive!

thanks,,,
Phillip
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM

Phillip, don't tell me you're gonna trade that family (soon to be heirloom) yard trophy?
Nat
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Re: Trying to decide which truck to buy.

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
What are some things to look out for when buying brand new? What kind of dealer tactics should I look out for and be aware of?
Oh boy, where to start on this one?! My advice is don't trust anyone! Ha Ha... now that I have that out of my system, we can move on.

First off, if you are replacing a vehicle with this one, I'd try and sell your old one outright first... put it on the market now if you can. It's been my experience that most dealers aren't giving squat for trade-ins... not just lowball, I mean downright insulting figures. You may find an exception, but my experience has not been good. The less you can do through the dealer, the better... they will be trying to make $$ off both ends of the deal... the sale of the new one and reselling your trade. Typically, they make a lot more $$ reselling your trade than they do selling you a new truck. If you do decide to trade something in, just make sure you know the trade in value and don't let them give you less than that.

Try and find a dealer that has a Fleet dept and deal directly with them instead of a salesperson. Here in AZ there are several dealers that allow you to buy directly from their fleet manager... usually there is almost no hassle\haggle over price when dealing with fleet and from what I have seen, fleet pricing is pretty close to invoice pricing. You should be able to purchase it for invoice minus any rebates that apply. Do yourself a favor and get invoice pricing on the new truck before you begin the process... that way you know what you should be paying for the truck. You can get this information from Kelly Blue Book http:\\www.kbb.com or from NADA Guides http:\\www.nada.com or the dealer may be able to provide you with this information (not sure if KBB or NADA has info on the '05's yet). Plus, if your time is important to you, by going through fleet you can negotiate the whole deal over the net or the phone, then just show up and sign papers and drive away... 30-45 minutes in a dealership sure beats 4-6 hours.

My advice is to just play hardball... it's your money, so make sure you are happy with the deal. Don't let them give you the run-around. If one dealer won't give you the deal you want, try another. The more prepared you are as far as knowing the value of your trade and/or the pricing of a new one, the better off you'll be when you sign your life away.

Good luck and enjoy that sunroof!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:20 PM

nope, im not trading in my 01. The wife is in a Civic right now, and we will be getting rid of it somehow.

nat, im not sure I follow you. I guess its been a long day.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
nope, im not trading in my 01. The wife is in a Civic right now, and we will be getting rid of it somehow.

nat, im not sure I follow you. I guess its been a long day.
What ever became of that 'ol 97 2500? Maybe I missed it.
Nat
Old 08-04-2004, 03:41 PM

oh yeah, the only thing left of that 97 are the pics in my photo gallery, and a sore feeling on my hind end.

I sold it to a guy down in Cotulla, Tx. I finally got the title, and rolled it out. I wished i woulda kept it though.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:46 PM

Yeah I bet, you and it been thru a lot together.
Take care,
Nat
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Philip, my advice if you have never bought a new car would be to first go to www.nada.com or www.edmunds.com and do some research. They offer some very good tips on buying cars (particularly the NADA site).

Insist on dealing only with a sales manager. Don't be afraid to say no and then walk out of the dealership if they won't give you the deal you want. At the same time, do your research ahead of time so that you have REALISTIC goals. Don't expect to be able to get a $38K truck for $25K and don't expect them to give you $25K trade in for a truck that their books tells them is only worth $19K.

Research, research, research BEFORE you step on the lot. That's my best advice.

If you feel like making a drive, I highly recommend either Bonham Chrylser (www.bonhamchrysler.com) or Greenville Chrysler (www.greenville-chrysler.com). They are located up in my neck of the woods, but they probably have THE best prices in the state on these trucks....and lots to choose from. For instance.....right now you could get a 2004 3500 SLT dually, four door, 4WD trucks for about $34K. It's hard to beat that.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 PM

never negotiate on the phone or the net you can always tell a liar when you see one. there are all kinds of tricks that people will tell will never fail but most dealerships are still in business so they're suckering a lot of people who think they got a great deal. the best advice I can give you is to be happy with the deal you get if you have second thoughts about it don't go through with it dealers need you as a customer there are lots of dealers many of them don't like each other and will beat each others prices for spite gain this knowledge and exploit it its all a game and I think its a fun one to play
Old 08-04-2004, 08:01 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Congrats on your first to be new truck. Or should I say, your wifes first new truck. Do as has been suggested above. However, I differ in one thing. For me it was great to deal on the internet. I researched too many dealers to remember in five states, all thru the internet. From that I had an excellent idea what I could expect to pay. I ended up flying from Mexico to Houston where the dealer picked me up and drove me to the dealership. It was worth the expense of the airfare and the loooong drive home. No other dealer could match LaGrange Dodge in LaGrange, Tx. They turned out to be the best dealer of any brand I have ever dealt with. Even when I went back for a service and snags, they bent over backwards to help me. Other DTR members have bought from them and flown in from long distances because their price and professionalism was head and shoulders above the rest.
If you decide to deal with them talk to Sydna. Tell her Stan from Mexico sent you.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 AM

Whew you almost scared me Stan. The guy that screwed me on my '97 now works in LaGrange. But he is the new car sales manager at LaGrange Ford. So I may have to call LaGrange Dodge, and I may even have to stop by in at the ford place and...........nahhhh, I'm a better person than that.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 AM

Stick with the high road, partner.

I'll have to check out LaGrange and see how their prices compare with Bonham or Greenville.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:24 AM

Beware the F&I Guy

My recommendations

Research Edmunds

Pay no more than $500 under Dealer invoice + All Dodge rebates and incentives

Beware the F&I Department - This is where most dealerships make their gravy. Credit Life, Fabric and Paint Protection, Job Loss Insurance, etc..

Don't buy any of this stuff. You do not need it. It's just money in the dealer's pocket. Look over your settlement statement line by line. Some dealers are not above putting that stuff in without telling you.

Pay for the truck and nothing else.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Here's one for you Philip.

Everything you listed. Stock number at Greenville Chrysler is #4G2004. This one says Call for Price but all of the other trucks like this (different colors) that they have on their website are between $30K and $32K. This is the dealership I've been looking at for my new truck.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanks Hoss. (in my best Rod Roddy voice) I may be heading in your direction pretty soon.......If the price is right! ahhh..i can entertain myself for hours.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide which truck to buy.