3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Is this true??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this true??

Ok guys, go easy on me as this is my first post. I've had a few friends with CTD's (I just recently figured out what that meant) tell me that for 2007 and up that they will be running on a different kind of diesel fuel than the '06's and before. Is there anything to that? I've only heard it from several people and I searched for quite a while on here to find a topic about it, but I couldn't find any. I don't see how the nation is going to get these pumps installed in one year. The guy that told me said he read it in Diesel Tuner magazine or something like that. I went to the EPA's website to research a little more and it said that manufacturers have until 2010 to comply. Am I being fed a line? If this is true, can someone much more knowledgable than myself break it down in leyman's terms? EPA's website says the following:

"ULSD enables advanced pollution control technology for cars, trucks, and buses so that engine manufacturers can meet the 2007 emission standards. Engine manufacturers have the flexibility to meet the new standards through a phase-in approach between 2007 and 2010. The program also includes various flexible approaches, including additional time for some refiners and special provisions for small refiners."

How will this affect the performance and ability to modify the CTD? Let me know your thoughts. Admin's, I wasn't sure where to post this, so please put it in the appropriate category. I used to have a 2001 CTD and I'm kicking myself for getting rid of it.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 AM

it's true. there isn't all that much different about it just less oily and it suposedly doesn't produce as much power
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM

well that sux
Old 02-02-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
All the pumps have switched over to ULSD, but I haven't noticed any change in power or milage.

07 engines in all 3 are different. Dodges now have a particulate filter, cooled exhaust gas recirculation system, and a bunch more sensors and stuff.

It will be more complicated for the aftermarket to build programmers and boxes for them, but given some time I'm sure they will get the new engines figured out.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 AM

Ok, been wondering, will the ulsd be in effect in Canada, or is this just a U.S. thing? Also, do the trucks been shipped to Canada have all the emisions stuff on them.

The reason I ask is because a friend is looking at getting an 07 with the 6.7L, but the problem is where he works he gets free fuel. The fuel is dyed though, so I don't think it is ulsd. Not completely legal to run purple fuel, but hey it's free. Also, how will this affect farm operations that run dyed fuel in everything?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by R6Luver
I don't see how the nation is going to get these pumps installed in one year.

Thanks
CA has been on ULSD for over a year.
Its not changing a pump, They just only deliver ULSD.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that Dodge is shipping the same trucks to Canada as are on the US market, so I think they also went to ULSD.

I woudl guess that introducing low sulfur fuel into one of the new trucks that requires ultra-low would likely clog the particulate filter and cause other damage that would not be covered under warranty.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Before I bought my 06 (my first diesel) I talked to some people at Dodge and they said that the new motor will not even roll out in the 2500 or 3500 until mid year 07. But here in Texas all the pumps that I have come across have all been updated to the new stuff.

Question. Is the new fuel, since it is ULSD, not as good for the motor? I thought the sulfur was a lubricant in the fuel. Wouldn't less of this be bad for long term use?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
All the pumps have switched over to ULSD,

Not quite true. I can still get the LSD 500ppm at the Flyin'J here. Most, if not all, the local corner store gas stations have switched to the 15ppm though. There are still lots of places getting the 500ppm stuff.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rock crawler
Question. Is the new fuel, since it is ULSD, not as good for the motor? I thought the sulfur was a lubricant in the fuel. Wouldn't less of this be bad for long term use?
I would like to know this as well?? Should I be adding an additve besides PS?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Not quite true. I can still get the LSD 500ppm at the Flyin'J here. Most, if not all, the local corner store gas stations have switched to the 15ppm though. There are still lots of places getting the 500ppm stuff.
Well several of our stations had the LSD stickers on the pumps and yet all the fuel they have been getting for the last 6 plus months has been ULSD. I asked and they said they had to use some large amount of the new ULSD to flush out the sulfer in the tank before they could change the stickers on the pumps to ULSD and they did put the new ULSD sticker on a few weeks ago. I heard some places down in the LA gulf area could still get LSD due to the damage to the Refineries.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
I would like to know this as well?? Should I be adding an additve besides PS?
Yes about a qt of 2 cycle TCW-3 ashless outboard oil to every 30 gallons of fuel.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
the new ultra low sulfer diesel will NOT effect the operation of any current diesel motors. our fleet here in diego have been running the ulsd for about 9 months now. our fleet is full of KW's, Pete's and Freight"shakers" ranging in years from 1990 through 2006. they have all been running fine. and i get my fuel from the same tank as them. but i do put in an additive in mine. i've gone about a month or so without an additive and still no problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Actually your engine will end up running better on the usld. The only downfall will be for the first bit that it runs it, due to the higher detergent level in the usld it will actually clean your engine and fuel lines etc. So you should think about changing all your filters a little sooner when first switching over to usld.

As for a 6.7 if it runs non usld, which is going to be a problem for DC for the next few months here in Canada, it will clog the particulate filter, which will then leave your truck dead on the side of the road (worst case) or at the very least leave you with little or no power til it gets replaced at a hefty sum of money

Kevin
Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Yes about a qt of 2 cycle TCW-3 ashless outboard oil to every 30 gallons of fuel.
Interesting...

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
the new ultra low sulfer diesel will NOT effect the operation of any current diesel motors. our fleet here in diego have been running the ulsd for about 9 months now. our fleet is full of KW's, Pete's and Freight"shakers" ranging in years from 1990 through 2006. they have all been running fine. and i get my fuel from the same tank as them. but i do put in an additive in mine. i've gone about a month or so without an additive and still no problems.
Now what kind of additive were you using?

Quick Reply: Is this true??