3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Truck World Truck Comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Written by Ford for Ford. Nice truck but they are just playing catch up to Dodge. Racing trailers is not the same as using it in the real world. It really doesn't prove anything.

Casey
Old 07-14-2004, 09:24 PM

how can they compare the trucks because the 05 dodge has not been built yet has it

was this a 600 or a555 maybe if it was a 555 this is the reason they can say it is class leading
Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 PM

It is actually true.. the Ford is leading in its class... LIGHT DUTY engine class. The chevy is also light duty.. the dodge is medium duty.. so I see no comparsion.
Scott
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM

What a biased article! I think it was done with the 305hp HO cummins as well. Did anyone catch the towing results,there little 1/4 mile race loaded.They admitted the Ford was last to get out of the hole,even though it has a deep 1st gear in its auto,then they go on to state that within a few hundred yards,it reeled in the Chevy and Dodge. Anyone who passed 3rd grade can figure out that a 1/4 mile is only 1320 ft,and there are only 440 yards inthe 1/4 mile. So what they are saying is the Ford took the longest to get the load moving,and and up top speed,and once they were going faster than they shoudl be towing a trailer,it finally caught the others. I think it took the entire 1/4 miles to do it,although the way they wrote it ,they make it sound like it happened real quick.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by MikeyB
I took this article with a grain of salt. I'm not suprised that the Powerstall is faster in the quartermile because of the higher reving engine, but that has a drawback, how well can that engine pull at the same speed going up grades without downshifting and having to rev the snot out of the engine. I much rather have a slower truck that can maintain the speed all day long without downshifting.
I bet they won't do a comparison between the Powerstall 6spd vs. the Cummins 6spd.

MikeyB
Thats exactly what i thought too, why dont they also test the 6spds???? Kinda makes you wonder....I have rode in and pulled with the 6.0 and that one couldnt touch my 600....I was kinda suspicious to about the whole class leading thing...I wonder what kind of 6.0 ford brought to that race???? a little modified maybe....I wonder why they didnt show pics of the engines???? or like most of yall said, why didnt they atleast say i whether the dodge was a 600 or not???? And i wonder who was driving the dodge, bet it was someone from ford....Heck i told the guys over at FTE just be happy the 6.0 made it all the way down the track.... Sure would have been funny if the whole dead peddle thing would have happened out of the gate
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 PM

I think that the FURD guys are having probs with their articles....Here is the one i found on the FTE site that was written about the same contest thats in the Truckworld article i posted:

With the diesels, the Dodge/Cummins pulled off the line the quickest , the GMC Duramax next and the Ford Power Stroke last. The Dodge's narrow power band quickly revealed itself and both the Ford and GMC pulled ahead before 30 mph was reached. The Ford and GMC stayed nearly even until about 30 mph and then the Ford started pulling ahead, winning by a full truck/trailer length by the time it hit 60 mph...

Ok so now the chevy beats the cummins to???? Arent the 600's not considered HO anymore since they dont have an SO and HO anymore??? Its sure strange how we have somehow managed to get two different conclusions from one race....I think dodge needs to respond to this one!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by brandon507
Its sure strange how we have somehow managed to get two different conclusions from one race....I think dodge needs to respond to this one!!!
According to the new vehicle sales from June, Dodge is responding by selling more trucks than the others.....
Old 07-16-2004, 01:43 AM

The Ferd climbing Mont Eagle mountain (6% grade) with a 20 something ft Fiver didn't look to fast as I passed it pulling A 24000lb. GN full of trees! I eased it in to forth and kept an eye on the EGT gauge and tach about 50 to 55 mph it didn't get real hot ( 195 water 1150 to 1200 EGT) and kept chugging. At the end of the 6 mile hill I couldn't see him???? I'm sure he was coming on strong at the top though
Old 07-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Guys, the race was obviously with a Californian Dodge of early 2004 vintage. They thought a Hollywood truck would be more photogenic. and a little slower. I'm sure a powerjoke can out race me with a little trailer on, but with me hauling at the max... well the ferd can't haul my max period. When I get to 100,000 miles on it, with many more in my future, the ford will be pushing snow in some used car lot. K.S.