3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Truck Leaks AGAIN - Under Pedals!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Leaks AGAIN - Under Pedals!

Truck Leaks - Under Pedals - AGAIN .

Whenever it rains my truck leaks under the pedals. Looks like it is dripping from behind the instrument cluster on the brake & clutch pedal.

Dealer fixed this under warranty after 3 tries in early 2006. Each time it was a pain to schedule because they had to wait for the 'regional leak expert' - apparently, this guy is not much of an expert. Truck now has 55,000 miles, so past 36,000 mile warranty. However, as the last fix less than a year old, should the dealer fix again & not charge me? Can I go to another dealer?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

The dealer probably won't help you since it's so far out of warranty. Not sure if your state has a Lemon Law, but this problem could probably be covered under that. They usually get 3 times to fix the same problem and if they can't, it can be Lemon Lawed in most cases.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
The dealer probably won't help you since it's so far out of warranty. Not sure if your state has a Lemon Law, but this problem could probably be covered under that. They usually get 3 times to fix the same problem and if they can't, it can be Lemon Lawed in most cases.
I understand that it's out of warranty, but the problem started while under warranty and was never fixed. I don't have much confidence in the lemon law, because even if I would win, after paying the lawyer and 'adjusting for milage' I would owe Chryselr money. I really just want the problem fixed!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
I understand that it's out of warranty, but the problem started while under warranty and was never fixed. I don't have much confidence in the lemon law, because even if I would win, after paying the lawyer and 'adjusting for milage' I would owe Chryselr money. I really just want the problem fixed!
i think the milage adjustment was because he signed a thing saying he wouldnt use the lemon law on the truck for whatever reason...kinda like a wavier! but you should definately look into having it fixed by the same dealer...

brett
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

I understand. That's why I suggested checking into Lemon Lawing it. There are no fees (other than an attorney if you even need one) involved with the Lemon Law. The person you're referring to that had to pay money specifically said they couldn't use the Lemon Law because they got an employee pricing deal.

It's way out of warranty and the dealer won't touch it for free. AFAIK the Lemon Law is your only shot. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
It's way out of warranty and the dealer won't touch it for free. AFAIK the Lemon Law is your only shot. Good luck.
What is AFAIK?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

What is AFAIK?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

At least give it a shot. This is exactly why the Lemon Law was enacted and an attorney is not always needed.

My dad Lemon Lawed a Chevy Blazer because it had a VERY SLIGHT vibration at about 65mph, but only when you let off the gas pedal. Chevy admitted the vibration was there and couldn't fix it after 3 or 4 tries, so it was Lemon Lawed and he got out of the financing obligations without any additional costs. The vibration was so slight and only ocurred when the pedal was released at ~65mph, I was amazed that he won the case. My '06 vibrates much more just from the TC locking up in 3rd.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I thought 04.5 had 7 year 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
How come he's not covered?

Also, if it's a water leak how difficult could it be to fix? I'd think it originates at the windshield or the recirc air intake and follows cabling or something through the firewall. I'd start by letting a hose run on the top of the wind shield and looking at the firewall from inside. Silicone caulk all entry points through the firewall.

Sorry for your trouble, just some ideas.

Last edited by tomm; 01-25-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: omission
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM

I have read on other posts where a leaking cab light will end up near the pedals. On the lemon law, I was under the impression from reading breifly on the subject that it has to be within the first 18mos or 18k miles. Dont know for sure I just remember reading that somewhere.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tomm
I thought 04.5 had 7 year 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
How come he's not covered?

Also, if it's a water leak how difficult could it be to fix? I'd think it originates at the windshield or the recirc air intake and follows cabling or something through the firewall. I'd start by letting a hose run on the top of the wind shield and looking at the firewall from inside. Silicone caulk all entry points through the firewall.

Sorry for your trouble, just some ideas.
I forgot that this truck had the 7/70 .
As far as being hard to fix, I never tried to fix it myself. Really hard to tell where the leak originates. All I know is that eventually it leaks down teh clutch pedal. Like I said, I had it in three times already before it was fixed (and this fix only lasted 9 months or so.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM

If you have clearance lights than I bet that is where it is leaking from...I think DC even released a TSB on it....DC will fix it even if it is out of warrenty if you ASK nicely.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by redeyedracer
If you have clearance lights than I bet that is where it is leaking from...I think DC even released a TSB on it....DC will fix it even if it is out of warrenty if you ASK nicely.
What is the tsb # ?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 PM

Truck Leaks Again

Mark, I had leaks in 2 locations; at the driver side grab handle and 3 roof clearance lights. It may be possible for the water leaking near the grab handle to makes its way down to the clutch pedal. The leak at the grab handle on my truck originated at the hole for one of the sheet metal screws holding the outside side molding for the windshield. You could have a look there (remove the grab handle). Be careful though when removing the grab handle as it is made from plastic.

Roy
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM

It sounds like you might have a windshield leak. If you have cab lamps, that`s also a problem area.
It the dealer has performed repairs for this same problem, take it back to the same dealer and explain this is an on going problem and need`s to be corrected under warranty. Don`t let them push you around either.
If push come to shove, call the B.A.R./Consumer Affairs hot line.
I don`t know the number for your area, but they can help if the dealer try`s to weasel out. Good luck.
If they give you crap, ask them for the B.A.R./Consumer Affairs phone number...
Old 01-26-2007, 04:34 AM

What is the tsb # ?
Here's that TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) - I think that if you go to your dealer and request a check on your VIN # this TSB # should show up. If not, give them the TSB # and ask if it's applicable to your truck.

TSB 23-009-06
Water Leak At Roof Mounted Marker Lamps
Date: February 14, 2006

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-046-05 REV. A, DATED NOV. 24, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THE BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED FOR TechCONNECT APPLICABILITY, NO CONTENT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

Models: 2004 - 2005 (DH) Ram Truck

Overview:
Water Leak At Roof Mounted Marker Lamps

Symptom/Condition:
Water leaks may be present coming from the roof mounted marker lamps. New marker lamps have been released which contain base gaskets. These marker lamps should be used in all cases where water leaks are present at the marker lamps. These lamps will have to be replaced in sets of 5 due to appearance differences.

Diagnosis:
If water leak tests reveal that water leaks are present at the marker lamps, perform the
Repair Procedure.

Parts Required:
Qty. Part No. Description
5 55077559AD Marker Lamp
10 J4000141 Nut

Repair Procedure:
Remove all five marker lamps and install new lamps, p/n 55077559AD and plastic nuts,
p/n J4000141.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-50-80-90 Marker Lamps Replace (5) 0.4 Hrs.

Failure Code:
ZZ Service Action

Quick Reply: Truck Leaks AGAIN - Under Pedals!